Bait Monkey -- You're Fired (Confessional)!!

Started by caddyjoe77, March 31, 2017, 01:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

My stuff arrived and I must say that I think it's going to be awesome!!!!

I bought some new tackle. The snakes look cool, not sure if they are going to catch any fish but heck why not try? The 4" Twin Tail Menace Grubs have already proven to be fish catches, and so I got the 3" version of them to add to my tackle bag for when the fish are honed in on a smaller bait.
Got new gloves that fit perfectly on my large hands and feel comfortable.

But the thing I was really waiting for was my NEW FROG ROD! That's right, I bought another frog rod as I search for the right rod to keep me frogging for a longer period of time without fatigue. Sure I liked the Tatula Frog Rod, its super light, very powerful and performs very well. But at 7'4" it not easy to cast when fishing out of the back of a boat, it is also not easy to walk or work a frog from back there, and it's not easy to do those things from land either.
For a bit I have been considering downsizing for these reasons. Then I watched Flukemasters video for a second time where he talks about the 13 Fishing Muse Black he helped design. His points all seemed valid, but they go against everything I have been told about frog rods. Regardless it sounded like a shorter rod would help in my situation. The more I thought about it the more it made sense. So I bought it. The rod is 6'5" and it feels great!
It is perfectly balanced with my Tatula CT, the shorter handle end of the rod seems comfortable and the rod is as light as the Tatula rod.
I suspect my cast distance will suffer some, but walking a frog should be easier, and the balance should help my carpel tunnel issues and back problems.
Wanted to try it out today after getting it but the weather is crap. So I'll have to wait till Friday or Saturday to put it to the test in my local pad field and hydrilla filled park lake.

This is Bella. She's not quite as happy that I got a rod. Cause that means she gets less time to spend with me if I go fishing lol

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Rick, hope the new frog rod works out for you.

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

LgMouthGambler

Collecting monkey bit me again today. Found the last addition to my 100Ds.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cortman

Nice going Rick, congrats on the new rod! Looks like a good one. I loved all the 13 rods I had.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 27, 2017, 07:25:08 PM
Rick, hope the new frog rod works out for you.
Thanks

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 27, 2017, 07:51:46 PM
Nice! Finally spending some dough. Lol
<")))>{

Every once and a while lol.

Quote from: cortman on September 27, 2017, 07:53:22 PM
Nice going Rick, congrats on the new rod! Looks like a good one. I loved all the 13 rods I had.

Thanks! Yeah they do seem to make some nice rods.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: rickdelprado on September 27, 2017, 05:45:43 PM
My stuff arrived and I must say that I think it's going to be awesome!!!!

I bought some new tackle. The snakes look cool, not sure if they are going to catch any fish but heck why not try? The 4" Twin Tail Menace Grubs have already proven to be fish catches, and so I got the 3" version of them to add to my tackle bag for when the fish are honed in on a smaller bait.
Got new gloves that fit perfectly on my large hands and feel comfortable.

But the thing I was really waiting for was my NEW FROG ROD! That's right, I bought another frog rod as I search for the right rod to keep me frogging for a longer period of time without fatigue. Sure I liked the Tatula Frog Rod, its super light, very powerful and performs very well. But at 7'4" it not easy to cast when fishing out of the back of a boat, it is also not easy to walk or work a frog from back there, and it's not easy to do those things from land either.
For a bit I have been considering downsizing for these reasons. Then I watched Flukemasters video for a second time where he talks about the 13 Fishing Muse Black he helped design. His points all seemed valid, but they go against everything I have been told about frog rods. Regardless it sounded like a shorter rod would help in my situation. The more I thought about it the more it made sense. So I bought it. The rod is 6'5" and it feels great!
It is perfectly balanced with my Tatula CT, the shorter handle end of the rod seems comfortable and the rod is as light as the Tatula rod.
I suspect my cast distance will suffer some, but walking a frog should be easier, and the balance should help my carpel tunnel issues and back problems.
Wanted to try it out today after getting it but the weather is crap. So I'll have to wait till Friday or Saturday to put it to the test in my local pad field and hydrilla filled park lake.

This is Bella. She's not quite as happy that I got a rod. Cause that means she gets less time to spend with me if I go fishing lol

Rick,

You bought good stuff. Congratulations on the new rod! I hope it works for you.
It might take you some time to get used to it, but you'll see that 6.6' rods are easier to swing around, and should help with your hand and back issues. Enjoy!

Oldfart9999

Wouldn't it be easier to just order an LSCR?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 28, 2017, 07:17:54 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just order an LSCR?
Rodney

When I get an LSCR it will be an all around rod like my savvy 734 because it will be the rod that will spend the most time in my hands. 
~shade

Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

You got some nice stuff there Rick and that shorter rod will work just fine.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

SFL BassHunter

Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on September 28, 2017, 02:14:52 PM
You gonna open that? lol

Rick... that's how its displayed to keep the reel looking good....  lo

LgMouthGambler

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 28, 2017, 02:40:48 PM
Here she is.

<")))>{

Didn't you have one of these already last month? I can't keep track anymore but that reel looks awfully familiar.

Lipripper

Nice looking reel LMG will look great in your new display case when you get it set up.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 28, 2017, 02:40:35 PM
Rick... that's how its displayed to keep the reel looking good....  lo

It all makes sense now!

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 28, 2017, 02:50:18 PM
Didn't you have one of these already last month? I can't keep track anymore but that reel looks awfully familiar.

I swear he's had like 4 or 5 of those. It does look awfully familiar lol.

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 28, 2017, 02:40:48 PM
Here she is.
<")))>{

That is a pretty looking reel though! Your display must be looking nice with all them nice reels.
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 28, 2017, 02:50:18 PM

Yes, I have on that I fish with. It has a Yumeya spool, and Brenious 7.7 gears. This one, however, Is for the display case.  ~shade

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on September 28, 2017, 03:14:38 PM
Yes, I have on that I fish with. It has a Yumeya spool, and Brenious 7.7 gears. This one, however, Is for the display case.  ~shade
Ah...

hubcap91

Monkey got me this week. I bought my first Shimano (Curado 200IHG) a couple months ago and I love it. Saw a 200G going for a good price on ebay and had to snag it. The wait begins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Oldfart9999

Monkey on my back too! 3 BPS PRO QUALIFIER rods and 3 PRO QUALIFIER reels. ;D ;D ;D
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

cortman

With a bunch of big bills to pay here recently I have been staving off the monkey as best I can. Last purchase was a couple weeks ago, got two Jackall Gantarel swimbaits in shad color for $15 each. They are really, really nice looking baits and have fantastic action. I will definitely be getting a couple in gill pattern sometime when the money's not so tight.

Lipripper

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 29, 2017, 07:02:45 AM
Monkey on my back too! 3 BPS PRO QUALIFIER rods and 3 PRO QUALIFIER reels. ;D ;D ;D
Rodney
Sounds like that monkey got your number.  lo lo

cojab

That Scorpion is sweet!
cortman, I'm also a little on the broke side right now and I've had to threaten to shoot the monkey if he showed up here for a while.
But, I'm studying hard so that in the spring I know exactly what he should bring me!
TTK has spoken.

lostboy45b

Dobyns, Megabass, Lucky Craft, Daiwa, Lew's