Bait casting rod+reel for $120.00 and under?

Started by Matt H, April 12, 2006, 03:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt H

I have been using spinning rods/reels up until now and i am looking to get my first bait caster.  Basically the closest place to me that i could get a decent one would be cabelas...does anyone know of a good (decent) combo i could get for like 120 bucks (yes i know that is cheap but i'm 16, and have no job  :surrender:)
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!

Creel Limit Zero

You might want to check out the Bass Pro Shops Extreme and Pro Qualifier combos.  I have some of those, and they work great in my opinion.  I think the Extreme is around $100-120, and the proqualifier is about $20 more.  They usually go on sale at some point during the year, and that's when you can probably get the pro qualifier for under $120...

Ballistik

Print this add and take it to BPS and they will match the price. Its in there catolog for 180. It is a great combo for the price.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74456&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
Fish Now, Work Later !

Creel Limit Zero

Now that is a good deal right there, might have to do that myself.   :-*

Matt H

Closest BPS to me is about 1 1/2 hours away...if i go to visit my aunt is Harrisburg i'll deffinitley check that out.

Matt H

OutdoorFrontiers

Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

LoonyToon

They have them right now for $139.88  at BPS  ~c~ ~c~

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Eric B.

right now u can probaly find and old curado on ebay for 80 buxs if yer lucky and get a allstar graphite series 6`6 MH and ull be set

Official Member of the MLSC

A hunt based only on trophies taken, falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be . . . time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live

BIG PAPA

Academy sells a pinnacle pro series reel for 48.00 that I have been hearing a lot of good things about lately. We had a thread a while back about the reel and I ran into an old buddy at Academy the other day that said they were super reels and he had 2 and was buying 2 more. you might check that out also.
papa

topcat

Cabelas has a Daiwa advantage and a rod for 99.00..don't know about the rod but the reel is great...........

Topcat

GotstaFish

Quote from: Ballistik on April 12, 2006, 06:03:29 PM
Print this add and take it to BPS and they will match the price. Its in there catolog for 180. It is a great combo for the price.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74456&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults
Thats the deal you want!!!
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

LoonyToon

Quote from: Ballistik on April 12, 2006, 06:03:29 PM

They are 139.88 right now at BassPro Outdoor World

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Doug Grimm

Well as usual here's my opinion,

As far as Cabelas stuff I haven't used any of it but I did look up some info for you. The Cabelas Prodigy combo for $129.98 Has 7 ball bearings, a flipping switch, Tandem cast control, multi disc drag and more.  The flipping switch is a nice option, if you are just starting out. This will enable you to develop 2 other techniques at the same time pitching & flipping. You get a fish eagle II rod. Like I said I have never fished this particular combo but for the features for the money it sounds like it's worth every cent. Maybe someone else here has. We don't have Cabelas near me.

Cabelas also has a Quantum Accurist AC500CX reel/tourney trail combo for $119.00 Great reel with flipping switch. I have used this reel and was pleased with it for the price. Not the smoothest reel but very durable and reliable. I have never used the rod they are offering with the combo however.

#1 Choice
Now I have to chime in as far as the bass pro stuff. I absolutely love the Rick Clunn Signature series BPS reel. you can get it in 6:3:1 or 5:2:1 the combo price is a little higher at $149.00 but it worth every penny. I have 3 of these reel and would not trade them for some reels I have paid $250.00 for. I'm not sure about the rods but  can imagine they are decent rods. They usually sell for $79.00 a piece. I realize that you live 1 1/2 hour from bass pro but you could always order online or by mail. If it were my money this would be the combo for me.

My opinion ("and I'm unanimous in it")

Doug

Matt H

It doesn't have to be cabela's brand....they just have to have it at their store.  Thanks for all the replies guys!  I'm getting some great suggestions here.

OHbassaholic

Quote from: Doug Grimm on April 12, 2006, 11:26:05 PM
My opinion ("and I'm unanimous in it")

Doug

I see someone else has watched the old "Are you being served" shows.

There are quite a few good reels for the beginner available these days.  I'm not familiar with the Cabelas brand reels but here are my picks, and some will be available at Cabelas.

Shimano Cruxis
the new Citica D series
Any Curado
Pflueger Trion or above
BPS Extreme low profile
Pinnacle Titanium Carrera

The rods that I recommend the most these days are All Star Select Series at $60.  They have the sensitivity of a St. Croix Premier at lower cost.  I don't recommend anything more sensitive than these to the newcomer to baitcasters.