Bait making for my personal use

Started by dylan7mm, April 05, 2017, 05:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylan7mm

Looking to cut cost in the long run of fishing and figured I'd start making my own plastics and jigs! Any tips or products recommended or products to stay away from would be wonderful thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris425

Honestly, unless you're doing it for fun, or a hobby, or to make your own creatures and colors, making your own plastics really isn't financially worth it.

Now jig tying on the other hand could in the long run save you a little money but...
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

bigjim5589

Warrior River is telling the truth there! I started tying flies, then got into pouring lead. I can make a lot of different things, but saving money is the last thing this addiction has done for me. It can be done if you stick to bare minimum, but once you get started, then you'll want to more & more, and all types of baits.

I honestly don't know how much I have "invested", but I have over 300 molds for pouring lead, well over 100000 jig & fly hooks, and many thousands of dollars in other supplies. My guess would be over $30,000. Of course, it took me many years to accumulate it all, but I could have bought a whole lot of tackle with that money!  lo

Be careful, it can be a very addicting endeavor!  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

flowerjohn

Quote from: bigjim5589 on April 06, 2017, 08:00:45 PM
Warrior River is telling the truth there! I started tying flies, then got into pouring lead. I can make a lot of different things, but saving money is the last thing this addiction has done for me. It can be done if you stick to bare minimum, but once you get started, then you'll want to more & more, and all types of baits.

I honestly don't know how much I have "invested", but I have over 300 molds for pouring lead, well over 100000 jig & fly hooks, and many thousands of dollars in other supplies. My guess would be over $30,000. Of course, it took me many years to accumulate it all, but I could have bought a whole lot of tackle with that money!  lo

Be careful, it can be a very addicting endeavor!  ;)

Now  show him what you make!! Unbelievable stuff that you do boy!!

This message sent via the FC network.

bigjim5589

Thanks for the comment John!  :)

I and others have posted pics of lures we've made. One of the great things about making your own, you can do anything you like, and exactly how you want them. If you can't find a production lure you like, then making them is the way to go. However, there is an initial investment, in molds & supplies. Molds for pouring plastics can be made too, rather inexpensively, but it still takes time & money to do. Nothing is completely free, except advice and encouragement here on UB! Folks will gladly provide both!  lo

Dylan, check out the various posts in this forum for lures the members here have made, then decide whether or not making your own is right for you. I can certainly make many lures or flies with the supplies I have on hand, and for less than I can buy them, but as I've pointed out, I have considerable funds invested to be able to do so. Others have gone through the same, and will tell you it's not easy actually saving money. If you have a few baits that you use a lot, you may be able to save in the long run. Maybe!  ~shade
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

One more thing to consider, we have a site sponsor, Doc Irv who makes many types of plastic baits, and he makes custom baits. Doc is already setup for doing special baits, and gives discounts to UB members, so that might be something to consider instead of the investment in getting started making your own. Not trying to sway you away from the idea, but provide another possible option if saving money is your primary reason for wanting to make your own.

It would be hard to beat Doc Irv when it comes to plastic baits!  ;)

dylan7mm

I kind of wanted to make them for fun as well but hearing all this it sounds a little out of my budget right now! But I'm going to look in to the jig making since I use those a lot! Thanks for all the tips!

flowerjohn

Quote from: dylan7mm on April 06, 2017, 09:33:32 PM
I kind of wanted to make them for fun as well but hearing all this it sounds a little out of my budget right now! But I'm going to look in to the jig making since I use those a lot! Thanks for all the tips!

Dylan for a minimal outlay you can buy jig heads and begin to experiment with tying lures on a vice. Research some patterns that you may find useful in your own area. It's a hobby that you may find worth spending time on. I have been at it for some years and with my work I find it a nice break. You will
also be pleased when you begin to catch fish on them. It doesn't need to be expensive.  Heck last week I got over a dozen red squirrel tails from the wild to tie with. It's what you make of it and good luck. It's worth a try.

This message sent via the FC network.

bigjim5589

Budgets are important to all of us. What John has suggested can save some money compared to buying the finished jigs, and you can still make a jig that fits your exact needs & likes. There are a number of sources for raw & painted jigs, plus the skirt materials. At the top of this forum is a list of suppliers.

I started tying flies as a kid over 50 years ago, and eventually got into pouring jigs & other lures. The hobby can be as involved as you wish to make it. Doesn't matter if you tie flies, tie jigs or pour plastic baits, there's investment that needs to be done, but the end results can be very satisfying. Saving money is always a good incentive, but most folks really don't save much as it gets more & more involved. Sure is a fun way to spend time when you can't be fishing however.  :)

Please keep us informed how you're doing with it, and post some pictures. That way you can get some critique & advice on ways to improve, and shorten the learning curve.  ~gf

Oldfart9999

My first serious step into making jigs 300 hooks, 1 mold, a few hundred skirt tabs, several rolls of living  rubber, several pounds of powder, and a lead pouring pot. It all worked out to about 1$ per jig, not counting my time. I have several different style jig molds and tie silicone tabs, living rubber, and bucktail, in truth the only place I'm saving any money is the ball head jigs and worm head jigs I pour but I enjoy it and it lets me tinker with colors I can't find and tinker with different ideas I get. Like Jim said, you don't really save money but you do it as a hobby.
A great way to start with out a big outlay is to do what John said, by some jig heads, you can get them all ready painted, pick up some skirts and try tieing, if you like it you can move on to pouring if you wish.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

dylan7mm

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everybody! I'm gonna try and order some jig heads and tie a few skirts on a play with that! Thanks I'll post pics when I do!

Oldfart9999

Order them with the weedguard seperate, it's easier to tie the skirt without it and you can super glue the guard in when you are done. Easy peasy. ;D ;D
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.