St johns River, Mid-South Area

Started by Deadeye, April 20, 2017, 04:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

Decided to fish the River today. Got a bit of a late start as it was full light when I got there, but really didn't care.

Put in at the Rt 46 Ramp east of Rt 415. Only a few boats were there. Water had a muddy look to it, probably from the wind blowing across Lake Jessup into the River. Launched and headed south.

Got to where I intended to start my day and switched sonar to Down Vision. I ran slow across the area and seen there were fish there, what they were who knows.

Picked up a Crankbait rod with a Rattletrap on and started fishing. 1st cast felt a bump. 2nd cast BOOM hard hit and run. Fish fought hard, to hard for a Bass unless it was huge. It turned out to be a Striper Mix.

Worked my way south intending to try out some different baits and stop to anchor and work the bottom. This lasted for a bit but with no hits to show for it I started trying some different things. Tried the Crankbait but no takers. Fluke, nope. Grabbed the Umbrella Rig and finally caught the first Bass.

Tried lots of single Swimbaits but none worked. No other hits and I moved on.

Worked my way into a small run and saw them busting on bait up in it a ways. Just to far out of reach. Worked up to that area and anchored. Eventually they came back up and with the U-Rig I got one more. Things died down there and I started flipping the edge and caught a 2-3 lb Mudfish. Also caught a Gar the U-rig.

That gave me the St Johns Quad-Fectra: Striper-Bass-Gar-Mudfish. One good catfish I'd had the record.

I kept working my way back into the run throwing whatever stuck my fancy. The biggest fish of the day, about 3-4 lbs, didn't get a good hookset and lost in the pads.

Worked my way back out to the River and started fishing it again. Picked up one more there. Then it happened.

I've caught doubles on the U-Rig but never 3 at a time. Well today that happened. Bent the crap out of the wires too.

Ended up about 3:00pm with 7 Bass for the day. Biggest probably was 2+ lbs. Still a fun day.

Rest of the fish and some River Pics.

flowerjohn

Great day out there Deadeye!! Congratulations!!!

This message sent via the FC network.

Capt. BassinLou

Sounds like a productive day Fred, glad to see you got out.

FlatsNBay

Dang Fred, a triple on the same cast! Nice! Looks like your exploring new areas of the river is paying off. Great job!

SFL BassHunter

Heck of a good day there Fred! Wow that is pretty cool, 3 at once on the umbrella rig.
Fred I am curious how your back is doing, and how you feel after throwing that big rig for a while.

I haven't thrown one in a LONG time.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

rchiuz

Great report, the u rig looks fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the worst thing about being a bank fisher? Always having to watch out for dog poop LOL

Reservoir Runner

Looked like a pretty good day to me Fred! I have fished the umbrella rig down here but haven't had any success with it. Keep up the good work!

big g

Deadeye, thanks for a great report.  That is some fishy looking waters in those pics.  It must be great out there on the river and no other boats in sight.
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

LgMouthGambler

Nice job! 3 on 1! Whoo doggie!  :o   ~c~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Soulfisher

Deadeye

Thanks all.

Rick it is a bear to throw all day. I switch it up with lighter stuff but how I throw it has made it much better.

I am using my 8 ft Extra Heavy Punching Rod, Lews Super Duty Reel in 7:1, 65 Braid. I use a two-handed throw and kind of "flip" the bottom of the rod with my left hand allowing the rest of the rod to pivot with my right hand. This seems to create a pendulum action that causes the bait to go quite a distance with little effort. It is actually harder on the back doing the retrieve, especially if your going against the River current.

For that I kind of tuck the butt end of the rod against my ribs using the inside of my left arm to hold it there. It seems to even out the pressure on my back that way.

The Three-Bite-Hit was something. Sort of a Bang, Bang, Bang-Bang feel to it. Usually with all that weight you just feel a thump and then pressure, but with this one It was like Rapid Fire Hits and pulling all sorts of ways. Once I got it to the side of the boat and saw what it was I was hoping not to loose any of them. I did a Boat Flip with all three into the boat.

FISH520

Wow ~c~ ~c~  A new way for us to look at a threesome :( :(

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Deadeye on April 21, 2017, 08:29:56 AM
Thanks all.

Rick it is a bear to throw all day. I switch it up with lighter stuff but how I throw it has made it much better.

I am using my 8 ft Extra Heavy Punching Rod, Lews Super Duty Reel in 7:1, 65 Braid. I use a two-handed throw and kind of "flip" the bottom of the rod with my left hand allowing the rest of the rod to pivot with my right hand. This seems to create a pendulum action that causes the bait to go quite a distance with little effort. It is actually harder on the back doing the retrieve, especially if your going against the River current.

For that I kind of tuck the butt end of the rod against my ribs using the inside of my left arm to hold it there. It seems to even out the pressure on my back that way.

The Three-Bite-Hit was something. Sort of a Bang, Bang, Bang-Bang feel to it. Usually with all that weight you just feel a thump and then pressure, but with this one It was like Rapid Fire Hits and pulling all sorts of ways. Once I got it to the side of the boat and saw what it was I was hoping not to loose any of them. I did a Boat Flip with all three into the boat.

That's pretty cool. I've never hooked up with more than 1. (That's what she said)
Yeah that is the reason I don't throw it. I actually have a hard enough time throwing a spinnerbait for an extended period of time. The cast and retrieve on a spinnerbait kills me if it isn't on the correct rod and reel.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Canesfan

Quote from: rickdelprado on April 21, 2017, 09:47:18 AM
That's pretty cool. I've never hooked up with more than 1. (That's what she said)
Yeah that is the reason I don't throw it. I actually have a hard enough time throwing a spinnerbait for an extended period of time. The cast and retrieve on a spinnerbait kills me if it isn't on the correct rod and reel.

Pretty awesome. Good job.

cport

What, only three? Looks like you got a whole nuther bait there.  lo lo
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Deadeye

Quote from: cport on April 21, 2017, 11:56:50 AM
What, only three? Looks like you got a whole nuther bait there.  lo lo

Yep sure did have one left. If you look close you will see that the middle fish (and the smallest of the three) actually had two of the baits.

cport

Quote from: Deadeye on April 22, 2017, 05:48:55 AM
Yep sure did have one left. If you look close you will see that the middle fish (and the smallest of the three) actually had two of the baits.
Wow, I didn't even notice that! What a greedy little bass turd.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣