Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FR 703SF Questions  (Read 267 times)

OCBassman

• Charter Member
  • Trick um & Stick um.......
    • My Angling Cabin
FR 703SF Questions
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:37:19 PM »

I am looking to get a new spinning rod. My favorite rod got broke in a Power Pole accident.

It was a Bass Pro Carbonlight the original black one. I was looking at the Dobyns Fury FR 703SF. The Fury is in my price range. I will use it for Senko fishing mostly skipping docks. So it will get used a lot.

There aren't any stores around here that sell these rods. I usually like to have the rod in hand to see if I like the feel.

I was wondering about the weight and If it will hold up to some abuse? Also does the lack of cork on the fore grip seem to help to feel strikes?

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
Re: FR 703SF Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:10:03 AM »

I own only two spinning rods, a Custom built 6' 10" and and a Dobyns FR703SF.  I like it's light weight and it balances at the front of the reel seat, threaded no cork area, with my Abu Garcia Pro Max.  Sensitivity is very good in my opinion.  I believe the combination of guides, quality of the blank and the balance make this rod a great value for the price.
I use mine mostly for Wacky Worms, small crankbaits and some dropshotting.  I am also planning on using it for swimming some TR floating worms in the grass later this Season.
You mentioned using it to skip under docks.  I am sure this would be very good for that but I think I might like to have a higher power rating for getting the fish out of there.
Reservoir fishing in MD and Lower Central PA
Ouachita 16 alum, MK Traxxis 70/MK Edge 55, Lowrance/Raymarine electronics
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th Armored Cav 68-69, Ham Radio Op

nats

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:18 AM »

I have a 703 and 2 704s  for finesse wacky the 703 is great, but for under docks and weeds and pads the 704 is the trick IMO ,a little more power to get em out from under/out.  plus you would be surprised how well it cast wacky worms. and wacky senkos cast farther then you would want to docks.;

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:58 PM »

I don't have many spinning rods. One Champion Extreme and one Champion so I can't really speak to the over all weight of the Fury model.

The Carbon Lite's are a light rod and in the baitcasting versions the Fury is about the same IMO.

I use three powers in my spinning rods and they handle anything I through at them. I fish docks regularly and don't feel like I need more power personally. Since senko's are your bait of choice, you wouldn't have any problem with a four power but I personally would stay with the three power.

I've never used a 4 power. But I trust what nats has to say about them and his neck of the woods.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishandkamp

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:22 PM »

I was looking for a spinning rod my wife could fish heavy jigs and hollow bodied frogs with. My answer was a Dobyns Sierra 705 SF. That rod is wicked. I tied on a Strike King poppin Perch and it was amazing.
These rods do exactly what they say. It has more than enough backbone to handle fishing heavy grass or lily pads.  It is very much an equal to my Champion 705C, that is my heavy jig/ frog rod.
I have held the 703 and it is a great option.  My friend Kris is quickly changing his whole arsenal to Dobyns Fury rods and is very happy with them.
The are really nicely balanced once you have a reel on them. They are very sensitive and well made.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 25 queries.