Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good, Better, Best Combos  (Read 396 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Good, Better, Best Combos
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »

Many folks visit our pages on a daily basis.  This includes members and folks who are just starting out in the bass fishing arena.  The plethora of equipment is such a confusing deal for most anglers and I have been thinking that perhaps some members here could offer their recommendations about rod and reel purchases.

The challenge in this thread is to post what you believe would be the best buy within the categories.

The GOOD Category is for a Rod and Reel Combo in the $100 or less category

The BETTER Category is for a rod and reel combo in the $300 or less category

The BEST Category is for a rod and reel combo in the over $500 category

Keep in mind that while the high end stuff gets most of the press.  There are many who just want to know what their options might be to fit their budgets.  Looking forward to your recommendations.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
Re: Good, Better, Best Combos
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »

If you can still find one, BPS had their original BPS tourney special reels for 49.95, and I matched mine up with a 7' MH tourney special Rod for 49.99. I don't think you can go wrong with that for less than 100. I really have enjoyed my setup, the reel casts well, and once I got her dialed in, virtually no Backlashes.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »

A good rod is subject to what it is used for, many can be found but to pick a specific rod is impossible without knowing what it will be used for. Same goes for reels.

the better category would be a  Dobyns Sierra rod and a Daiwa tatula ct. for bottom contact baits.
Or a Dobyns fury and a Daiwa Tatula sv for moving baits.
Always put more cash towards a rod for bottom contact baits.

For best a custom rod can't be beat and match it with an equally awesome reel.

Only problem with the good category is a baitcaster, I've never found a baitcaster reel that I would consider good for under $100.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • B.A.S.S. Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »

Bud, a GREAT TOPIC here.  Tks for starting it.  There should be lots of great information share on this topic. 

Good Category:   There's numerous Abu Garcia, Lew's, H20 Express combos out there for less than $100.00 dollars.   These would be some great Starter setup for the beginning angler.  You can purchase these at Walmart, Academy and Bass Pro Shops. 

Better Category:  Abu Garcia, Lew's, Browning, Quantum, Shimano all have excellent choices of combo's that can be purchased.  These reels are a better quality than the Starter Reels and there's more choices in Rods in all weights and lengths.   These can be found at  Academy,Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's and Dick's Sporting Goods. 

Best Category:  Any brand of Reel that you enjoy fishing with.  For the rod I would say have a custom rod made to your liking. 

When I first started out bass fishing I fished with Daiwa's, Shimano's and Abu Garcia's reels.  Most of the rods I used were Eagle Claw, Daiwa's and Shimano's made.  As I became more involved with bass fishing and got into tournament fishing I upgraded my equipment.  Based on my mentors recommendations I chose Abu Garcia as my reels of choice.  My rods of choice (-) my (2) Lee Smith Custom (MH) & (H) Action Rods are Bass Pro Shop Extreme 7ft Casting rods in Medium Action, Med Hvy Action and Heavy Action. 

I presently have numerous Abu Garcia Reels > Revo S; Revo SX's, Revo STX, ABU Garcia Orra 2 SX's and Abu Garcia Black Max Low Profile baitcasters.  I have setups  that I use only for spinnerbaits, buzz baits, top water, flipping and pitching, crankbaiting, fishing soft plastics, jigging spoons and shaky head fishing.

I don't buy combo's anymore.  What I do is buy the reel I want and a specific rod.  My (2) Lee Smith Custom Rods (MH) and (H) action were built to only flip and pitch with.  I matched them up with ABU Garcia STX Low Profile Bait Casting Reels.

There are LOTS of great products out there for you to choose from.  I mentioned the stores I've shopped at mostly but there are some GREAT DEALS to be had from our Sponsors here at UltimateBass also. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.