Quality Rain Gear and its importance!

Started by rockchalk06, April 25, 2017, 08:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchalk06

I had neglected getting a good set for years. Honestly, the fishing around here sucks so bad it's not worth my time to get out on the water when it's raining.

On Tuesday of last week, I started seeing all the weather reports for Table Rock Lake. The longer the day went, the more chance of downpour seemed imminent. I decided to bite the bullet and get a set.

Never in a million years did I expect it to pay off for me. Quite possibly the best purchase of 2017 I have made!

Lee Smith

I'm glad yall got the wet rally out of the way, now if someone would get the COLD rally out of the way please  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Princeton_Man

I don't mind fishing in rain at all if I 'm wearing my 100 mph suit.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

rockchalk06

Quote from: Lee Smith on April 25, 2017, 08:40:41 AM
I'm glad yall got the wet rally out of the way, now if someone would get the COLD rally out of the way please  ;D

I'll take Cold and wet over last years heat any day of the week lo

Princeton_Man

I think we already got the cold rally in the books.  lo

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rockchalk06 on April 25, 2017, 08:44:07 AM

I got 2 words for you...  ^-^  ^-^
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

CraigP83

So what rainsuit did you get? I bought the Onyx Thunder Rage, haven't gotten to use it yet though.

rockchalk06

rockchalk06

Quote from: CraigP83 on April 25, 2017, 10:15:01 AM
So what rainsuit did you get? I bought the Onyx Thunder Rage, haven't gotten to use it yet though.

I went with the H20 Academy House brand. The amount of pockets and features with it made the 80 dollar a piece price feel like an even better steal.

Nutt

Quote from: rockchalk06 on April 25, 2017, 10:18:19 AM
I went with the H20 Academy House brand. The amount of pockets and features with it made the 80 dollar a piece price feel like an even better steal.
That's the same suit that I have, and I really like it. 
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

Quote from: rockchalk06 on April 25, 2017, 08:44:07 AM

BITE YOUR TONGUE.... Give me the heat and a punch rod over the cold and a senko any day....

But absolutely, if you have to fish in a huricane of rain, quality rain gear makes it bearable and much more fun when you are catching ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zippyduck

I buy Harley rain gear and would never go anywhere without it.
Every year we have a wet tourney at Pymatuning and it will be the same on Sunday. If it rains we always place well. BRING IT ON!
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

jakebrake

cold and wet ruins a good day of fishing faster than the vice squad can wreck a party.

either way....raincoats, folks....

cortman

Finally got myself a decent lightweight rain jacket a week or two ago. Couldn't be happier with it- fits super well and is extremely light and packable. Good rain gear can make all the difference.

Donald Garner

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 25, 2017, 12:29:14 PM
BITE YOUR TONGUE.... Give me the heat and a punch rod over the cold and a senko any day....

But absolutely, if you have to fish in a hurricane of rain, quality rain gear makes it bearable and much more fun when you are catching ~c~

I'm with you Mike  ~shade 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

coldbasser

I agree rain gear is important I've worn guide wear for 10 years and it's been great well worth the $
Cheers
In God we trust, but evil occurred when good men do nothing

edwonbass

I really need to get a good rain suit. I only have a packable Frogg Toggs jacket that does a pretty good job but I would like something more durable with pants.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: edwonbass on April 26, 2017, 08:16:09 PM
I really need to get a good rain suit. I only have a packable Frogg Toggs jacket that does a pretty good job but I would like something more durable with pants.

I have a Frog Toggs suit too. They have/had several different grades of gear and I bought one of their suits a few years ago too. I keep both the Toggs and the 100MPH suite on the boat. I'll let a co use the Toggs if they need them but if I'm fishing solo and end up in an rain storm, I'll wear the Toggs myself. They're very decent and light.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

edwonbass

Quote from: Princeton_Man on April 26, 2017, 08:31:43 PM
I have a Frog Toggs suit too. They have/had several different grades of gear and I bought one of their suits a few years ago too. I keep both the Toggs and the 100MPH suite on the boat. I'll let a co use the Toggs if they need them but if I'm fishing solo and end up in an rain storm, I'll wear the Toggs myself. They're very decent and light.

I have the jacket that feels like Tyvek. I wonder if the pants are durable.

Polaris425

I'm not crazy about the Toggs, at least not the cheaper ones. They dont breath and I get very hot in them. Sweat so much it's almost pointless to have them on. lol

Would also like to point out (may be restating as i did not read every reply) that even when it's not raining, they are great to have on to block wind on those cold windy days. Even the H20 bibs I bought are great at blocking the icy wind. I do have a nice Columbia jacket I pair them with.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: edwonbass on April 26, 2017, 08:37:37 PM
I have the jacket that feels like Tyvek. I wonder if the pants are durable.

I dunno, the  material is light and will keep you dry. If you're as active as I am, you may get a  little damp.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

staying dry is the first step.
staying SOUTH, deep south, is probably the most effective step...   ;D

table rock in spring can be COLD.  Not for the faint of heart or those from MISSISSIPPI? ... ~roflmao
(sort of sorry, Lee!   ;D)

big g

Living in south Florida I have had rain gear for years, and have found staying warm is not a problem, but keeping from sweating to death is.  You need gear that will keep you dry, but not drown in a pool of sweat. For me Frog Toggs are the best.  They are cheap, they breath compared to others. and they come in a host of sizes.  One trick I found is to get them in a bigger size then what you usually wear.  This makes getting the gear on, over your clothing easy.  Very affordable, and at this price you can buy another pair every few years if needed.  They will roll up into a tight package easy to store in your boat or truck.  I love Frog Toggs!  ~heart
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Polaris425

I don't understand people saying that the Frogg Togg's breath.... every pair I've ever put on, I was drenched with sweat within minutes....
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.