Gear ratio for single blades

Started by 68camaro, May 02, 2017, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

Narrowed choice down on new rod for spinners, chatter and buzzbaits, now looking for reel.

What is optimum gear ratio? Currently running a 6:3:1 but wanted to make sure this was correct. Rod will be 7+ feet if it matters.

Thanks

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

zippyduck

I would go with a 7 speed reel. You can always slow down your retrieve, but this gives you the speed to wake it easier.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

68camaro

Quote from: zippyduck on May 02, 2017, 09:39:11 PM
I would go with a 7 speed reel. You can always slow down your retrieve, but this gives you the speed to wake it easier.

Much thanks.....

SteveTX

I don't mind anything from a 6:3:1 to a 8:0:1 as zippyduck you can slow down. I just find for me it's easier for me with a reel closer to 7:0:1  :)

analfisherman

I use a 7.1:1 with a IPT of 31" PT using 12lb. test line

Sometimes I use a 7.0;1 w/28 IPT on 12 lb. test
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

LgMouthGambler

A good 22-28ipt should be the perfect amount to not be too taxing.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

Any 6-8:1would be fine. The faster ratio would be a bit easier for a buzzbait. The others won't matter much.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: loomisguy on May 03, 2017, 04:59:11 AM
Any 6-8:1would be fine. The faster ratio would be a bit easier for a buzzbait. The others won't matter much.
And it would be easier to slow down, 6,3 would be about the same, a good general ratio with about 23 inches per turn.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

fishballer06

I personally prefer a 6:1 for these applications. I'll even run my buzzbaits on my Chronarch E5. If you fish a buzzbait enough, you'll realize that the baits make a different sound between a slower ratio and a faster ratio.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

SFL BassHunter

Here is my opinion on this subject, 6 Speed is perfect for me to throw Spinnerbaits, Chatterbaits.
I have in the past shied away from throwing spinnerbaits, due to my back problems. Cranking those big bladed spinnerbaits really takes a toll on me. The right equipment though has really helped me and recently I started throwing the spinnerbait again.
Lately I have been throwing them on a Daiwa Aird Coastal and love it. The cranking power makes it easier on me to retrieve the spinnerbait. That ease of the retrieve just isn't as good on any of the 7 speeds or the 8 speed I have tried it on.

This is my reason for going with the 6 gear ratio.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

68camaro

Just as follow up, decided to go with a Shimano Metanium MGL Casting Reel 150HG 7.4:1,  going to pair with a Lee Smith Custom Rod, deposit paid now the wait begins:)

FISH520

Your gonna be happy !!!  You don't need anymore suggestions as you are getting the best.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

zippyduck

That will be an awesome combo.
Which blank did you go with?

68camaro

Quote from: zippyduck on May 07, 2017, 10:42:57 PM
That will be an awesome combo.
Which blank did you go with?

Went with the PointBlank PB761MF and will have cut down to 7"3" from 7'6". Also getting Alps MVT seat,  Fuji Torzite guides  and Carbon Fiber grip.

Thanks all for suggestions.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: 68camaro on May 08, 2017, 06:28:04 AM
Went with the PointBlank PB761MF and will have cut down to 7"3" from 7'6". Also getting Alps MVT seat,  Fuji Torzite guides  and Carbon Fiber grip.

Oh yeah. Thats gonna ruin ya.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

I have a PB731mhf coming with the same components.
Using it for pitching.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

Quote from: 68camaro on May 08, 2017, 06:28:04 AM

That will be an awesome blank.