Too Much Braid

Started by Bud Kennedy, May 13, 2017, 12:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Putting on some mono today.  I noticed last week that everyone of my reels was loaded with braid.  I want to throw some spinnerbaits this weeks along with some cranks as well and my preference for those types of baits is mono.  Kinda funny how things like this happen.  I usually have at least two reels with mono but somehow they all wound up with braid.  The Wife's spinning reels are the same way.  So I put mono on one of her rigs.  She also wants a snap swivel installed t make it easier to change lures since she is not a fan of having to tie knots.  I might do the same for one reel since I am having my usual eye issues right now and it may make it a bit easier for me as well.

With my eye problem the toughest part believe it or not is running the line through the guides of the rod.  At these close range views my depth perception is awful making running new line cumbersome.  I need a tip on how to do this easier with my one good eye. 

Lipripper

Bud I know what you mean about running the line through the eyes on the rods. I sometimes have thought about getting a bright fluorescent marker and coloring the eyes so all I would have to do is aim for the center of the color dot  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

Hope I can explain this right. And Not sure if it will work if you are re-spooling with the reel on the rod but it may be worth a shot.

Before you are set to change the line on a reel you could leave a length of the old line running through all of the guides and the tip. Leave a tag at the tip end long enough for you to get a hold of. Then cut the line at the other end between the first guide and the reel.

After you re-spool tie the end of the line coming off the reel to the tag end of line you cut off between the first guide and the reel. Now grab the tag end hanging from the tip and pull the new line all the way through the tip.

This way you don't have to worry about seeing the guides, only the two tag ends of the line already threaded through the guides.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

cortman

I just did the exact opposite. Changed over my main jig & worm setup to 50 lb. braid, from 20 lb. fluoro. Finally dawned on me that in reality most of my fishing is done in very weedy water with not many rocks, so I don't need the abrasion resistance as much as I need to be able to cut through weeds and muck. Switched it up and I absolutely love it.
Still a big fan of fluoro/mono for the things you mentioned, Bud, and for other things too.

Bud Kennedy

I still have braid rigged on many of my rods.  Use braid for plastics, frogs, most topwater, jigs, chatter baits in mega cover.  Mostly moving to mono for cranks and spins but not much else. 

FatBassTV1

When I respool my reels I cut the bait off of the line that I am taking off. Then tie the new line to the old line while the old line is still through all the guides. Next reel the old line that is tied to the new line through all the guides and the eyelet on the reel. Once the new line is through all the guides and reel eyelet cut it loose from the old line and pull some slack of the new line so you have enough line to tie to the spool or backing line. Now that you have the new line all the way through the guides and ready to tie to your spool start stripping the old line from the reel. Once you have all or the desired amount stripped from the spool you are ready to tie to your spool or tie your leader to the main line. I am going to make a video about respooling line this week. If you would like I can post it on this site. Hope this helps you.

Smallie_Stalker

Similar to the approach I mentioned but from the other end and your way is probably easier.  You should post it in the tips section.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

FatBassTV1

VIDEO DELETED