Hammer rods

Started by steve76, May 16, 2017, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve76

I have read a lot of good publicity lately on Hammer rods so I bought one to try out. I use mostly Dobyns and I have heard quite a few people comparing them. Well I got the 7'3" xtra heavy and it is rated the same as my DX 745. Right away you can feel the Hammer rod does not balance or feel as light as the DX. Fishing with it, it does have a nice tip and a lot of backbone. Where I was most impressed was the sensitivity. It is more sensitive than my Champions and almost as sensitive as my DX's. Overall for $150 rod I am completely happy with how it performed. I still prefer the DX's but they are a different price range.

LgMouthGambler

I dont personally know much about them. I know The Tackle Trap has been carrying them. I havent put my hands on one, but will when I go back to Guntersville in October.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 16, 2017, 07:11:08 AM
I dont personally know much about them. I know The Tackle Trap has been carrying them. I havent put my hands on one, but will when I go back to Guntersville in October.

Apparently they liked them enough, they had them built specifically for them!

loomisguy

I like the one I played with. I thought it felt a bit weaker than labeled and the action reminded me of a Falcon, which it probably why I liked it.

steve76

Quote from: loomisguy on May 18, 2017, 05:01:57 AM
I like the one I played with. I thought it felt a bit weaker than labeled and the action reminded me of a Falcon, which it probably why I liked it.

That's what I had heard also. I went with the extra heavy for that reason. I bought it to pitch jigs with and figured if it wasn't stiff enough I could use for t-rigs. Luckily for me it is perfect for jigs.

loomisguy

I picked up the 7ft.3 x heavy down at Toho the other day and got to play with it a bit..
Great rod I would say sensitivity wise it's in the KLX,DX range .
I really like the tip..It reminds me of a little stiffer version of a Falcon Amistad.
It has no problem throwing a 1/2oz. Football head and a trailer.

steve76

I am still loving mine, have caught quite a few on it now and it just  feels like the fish has no chance.

loomisguy

I'm really pleased also. For a x heavy I can easily cast or flip a 1/2oz. Jakked football head with a fat albert trailer.
I wasn't sure if I would like the winn grip but after using it some they feel pretty nice..
I'm thinking it will make a nice whopper plopper rod also.

kadas

I have read a lot about Hammer rods and would like to handle one. The one thing that I am hesitate about is the micro guides. While I am sure they enhance the rod my problem is my old eyes sure make stringing a rod with micro guides a real struggle sometimes :(