Fising Report Rural Retreat Lake - 5-17-17

Started by Princeton_Man, May 18, 2017, 06:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princeton_Man

Launched approximately 0630. Water was high, muddy with visibility of about a foot, and surface temp was 67. The lake still has a feeling of death from the herbicide treatment a couple of years ago. Fished until about 1200. Skunked.

On angler who loaded up shortly after I launched did no better as was the case of a couple who loaded up after. I did see some empty beads and a few small hybrid cruising the shoreline.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Jim and sorry you didn't get any fish. Sounds like that lake is still in bad shape. You might have to find a different one to fish till later on.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Lipripper on May 18, 2017, 06:28:44 AM
Thanks for the report Jim and sorry you didn't get any fish. Sounds like that lake is still in bad shape. You might have to find a different one to fish till later on.

RR is just about 90 acres, very peaceful, and electric motors only. It used to have record muskie and some dang nice largemouth bass and some amaing crappie. I was told that somewhere around the time the lake was sprayed, some illegally dumped some species of shad into the lake. Between the herbicide kill and the eco system getting screwed up by the shad, it's not a real fun place to fish. I only went there because it was close and I was curious to see how/if it was recovering. They have stocked it with a hybrid striped bass and someone appears to be overly optimistic. The posted minimum length limit is 18 inches for Largemouth and Hybrid striped bass. 42" on muskie and 30" on northern pike.

Maybe I'll try it again next year.  ;D

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bigwrench

Quote from: Princeton_Man on May 19, 2017, 05:56:58 AM
RR is just about 90 acres, very peaceful, and electric motors only. It used to have record muskie and some dang nice largemouth bass and some amaing crappie. I was told that somewhere around the time the lake was sprayed, some illegally dumped some species of shad into the lake. Between the herbicide kill and the eco system getting screwed up by the shad, it's not a real fun place to fish. I only went there because it was close and I was curious to see how/if it was recovering. They have stocked it with a hybrid striped bass and someone appears to be overly optimistic. The posted minimum length limit is 18 inches for Largemouth and Hybrid striped bass. 42" on muskie and 30" on northern pike.

Maybe I'll try it again next year.  ;D
Once a year is enough torture lol.
I just wish I would have fished it back in the late 90's when I lived there. Hopefully they will do something to turn it around.
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bigwrench on May 21, 2017, 08:33:14 AM
Once a year is enough torture lol.
I just wish I would have fished it back in the late 90's when I lived there. Hopefully they will do something to turn it around.

Yup, that was a killer fishin' hole!

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Dam shame! I've witnessed the demise of many lakes due to vegetation kills. These lakes re great for pleasure boaters and jets skies but that's about it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service