Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which battery for electronics  (Read 354 times)

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
which battery for electronics
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »

I have a cranking battery and a trolling motor battery.  When I got the boat only the trolling motor and the battery charger leads were connected to the trolling motor battery.  I purchased a new Garmin fish finder and it wouldn't stay on.  Every time I started the motor, shut off the motor, put the motor in or out of gear and sometimes at totally random times, the unit would shut off.  I thought there might be something wrong with it until I hooked it up to the trolling motor battery.  It hasn't given me one bit of trouble since.  However, I read online in a few places that you shouldn't power your electronics from this battery.  The only reason I can find for this is because you could experience some interference when the trolling motor is in use.  I haven't experienced this. 

My question is, is it ok to leave things wired the way they are or am I risking damage to my new fish finder?

I guess a part b to this question is does it sound like something may be wrong with my cranking circuit?  I have one of those optima blue tops but it's dated 2010.  It seems to hold a charge well so I don't want to replace it yet.  However, I just had to replace my starter.  Do these symptoms point to bigger issues to anyone?  Perhaps a bad battery lead to the starter failure and is causing voltage drops which shuts off the garmin?  The starter I took out was dated 1996(my boat is a 1997).

oldjim

• Charter Member
Re: which battery for electronics
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »

What size is your motor? You can look in motor manual, look on line if you do not have manual to determine size of cranking battery. It may be your battery is not big enought for your motor.
It won't miss up your FF by using TM battery. The TM battery should be a deepcycle battery and cranking battery should be a "cranking battery."
You should be able to get FF to show low voltage on display.
If cranking battery voltage is dipping to low when it is used the FF will shut down to protect its self from low voltage.

Oldjim

ring fry

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »

If you aren't getting any interference then it shouldn't be a problem.  Sounds like your cranking battery might be about due for replacement though.

SE Kansas grass grower
GO JAYHAWKS
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 08:18:17 AM »

If you aren't getting any interference then it shouldn't be a problem.  Sounds like your cranking battery might be about due for replacement though.

SE Kansas grass grower

I agree. The Garmin unit will turn itself off when the voltage drops to around 10.5 - 11 volts.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:24 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Makes me feel a little better.  The motor is a 120.  The battery is a D34M-950 blue top.  I took it out this weekend for the first time with the new starter.  It always used to slowly chug before finally firing up.  Chug.....chug......chug chug.....chug vroom.  Anyway, now the starter spins the motor like a top.  Much less embarrassing while unloading the boat at the ramp.  All along I thought the battery was toast.  I'm not saying the battery is perfect but for now I'm not complaining. 

rebranger

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 08:28:59 PM »

Your battery is going bad,  replace it, put your ff to the tm bats on its own line / circuit

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Ed Hood
5651 Flower Lake Rd.
Dundee, MS 38626 256-883-8615 rebranger@gmail.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 23 queries.