8# to 6# for finesse

Started by rockchalk06, May 21, 2017, 10:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockchalk06

Currently I am running 8# FC Sniper on my finesse casting rig. I've got a Yumeya 36mm BFS spool installed with ZPI Office bearings.

I'm just curious how much improvement I will see dropping to 6# FC Sniper?

Anyone ever use it on a casting reel?

Mike Cork

What improvement are you looking for? Casting distance?

You're already pretty small diameter. Obviously there will be some because of physics. But you'll have to weigh extra casting distance with a longer fight with a fish and the probability of catching that fish on lighter line at greater distances.

Not sure 2 pounds of diameter are worth a couple feet?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

Heck I've never used anything less than 8lb test on anything.

My "finesse" spinning outfit has 8lb on it and I call that my "extra finesse" gear. lol
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

rockchalk06

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 22, 2017, 08:35:16 AM
What improvement are you looking for? Casting distance?

You're already pretty small diameter. Obviously there will be some because of physics. But you'll have to weigh extra casting distance with a longer fight with a fish and the probability of catching that fish on lighter line at greater distances.

Not sure 2 pounds of diameter are worth a couple feet?

Line management mainly. Just didn't know if 6# would have less memory or come off the spool easier? I don''t think that it will affect the bait much if any.

Mike Cork

Quote from: rockchalk06 on May 22, 2017, 08:41:38 AM
Line management mainly. Just didn't know if 6# would have less memory or come off the spool easier? I don''t think that it will affect the bait much if any.

It's been a long time since I've fished that light but there could be obvious differences between the two. Especially pertaining to brands. Example Maxima Line has a ton of memory but it's clear mono and strong. 2 pounds can mean a lot of difference. Not Trilene, not so much they would be about the same. So dealing with FC, the smallest I've used is 12 so I can't help there.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lee Smith

65# Braid is the lowest I'm going!  lo
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

rockchalk06

Quote from: Mike Cork on May 22, 2017, 08:43:57 AM
It's been a long time since I've fished that light but there could be obvious differences between the two. Especially pertaining to brands. Example Maxima Line has a ton of memory but it's clear mono and strong. 2 pounds can mean a lot of difference. Not Trilene, not so much they would be about the same. So dealing with FC, the smallest I've used is 12 so I can't help there.

Pretty much anymore all I use for Fluoro is FC Sniper. I'll jump on some Tatsu if it's on sale, but FC has been pretty decent for me.