Pirogue

Started by SteelHorseCowboy, May 22, 2017, 12:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipripper

Looking good so far.  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

I've got two more strips of glass to put on the outside. Then I'll flip it over and brace it from the inside, paint the inside, hopefully build seats in it if I have the material, and put the end plates on.
Then bottoms up one more time for two more layers of glass covering the entire bottom, sanding, and painting.

Lipripper

Going to look great when your done.  ~c~

West6550

Looking amazing!!

SteelHorseCowboy

This is gonna be a tad tricky. That far end there...
See how the left side is bowed out, and the end doesn't look like it aligns right?
Well, I cut that side of the hull about a half inch long. Simple mistake. I noticed when I stitched the ends, but I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal. Apparently it is. Well, not really, I can finish it up as is, but I'm not going to. I want this one to be nicer.
So what I'm'a have to do is, break the end apart, which I'll do with a grinder and flap disc, then restitch and re-glass it. Which will be okay, since that end got a sloppy glass job anyway.
What makes it tricky is, there's a lot of tension there, so there's a slight risk that whole end can spring apart. But, I'll be tying them together with some wire, and the entire length where the bottom meets both sides is glassed. Wish me luck!

Lipripper

That does look like it could be a little tricky but you can do it. I'm not going to mention the old Carpenters saying. Measure twice and cut once.  lo lo It will work out.  ;D

SteelHorseCowboy

But you did mention it!
But I think that was just part of the problem. The day I picked up the wood, it rained hard. The wood was already in the shed, but water came in under the door and some of the wood got wet. Not bad, and I got it off the floor and let it dry. But I think that's affected the flexibility of the wood. Because once I unbound the ends, it got worse, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to work it straight. Everything I try, it goes whacky even worse in another spot. I'll either get it or I won't.

SteelHorseCowboy

I'll be able to fix it. Salvaged some fence boards yesterday evening, they're going to make fine braces and seats. They'll add a bit of weight to it, but I'll live. Just means I'll have to park closer to the water when I take it out.

Lipripper

Glad your going to be able to fix it. At my age and health condition parking as close as I can is always a good thing.  ~sweat

SteelHorseCowboy

I came in early this morning and did some more work to it. I have half the hull sealed, and working on sealing the boards for the seat and the plate.
I was going to add the seats last if I had the material, or later when I got the material. It's really slowed me down, having to find the material to salvage, then design the seats in such a way as to straighten out the hull.

SteelHorseCowboy

Lipripper

It's looking good.  ~c~ ~c~

SteelHorseCowboy

Yep, it's getting there.
I found some more gray paint. I wanted something a bit different though. I also found some OD green camo spray paint. I'm experimenting with mixing the two together. I've got a couple samples of varying shades of gray green slapped on a piece of scrap wood. Going to see how they look after they've dried completely and see whether or not the mixes seem as durable as the regular paint.
I really didn't care for the battleship gray on the last one.

cortman

Keep the pics coming, that looks like a cool project.

SteelHorseCowboy

Thanks for reminding me, I need to take some more.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rough mockup of what it'll look like with seat and bow plates.
Needs a bit more fine tuning before final fitment of the plate.

SteelHorseCowboy

After wasting time and paint on the plates, I realized the reason I couldn't get them to straighten the sides is because I'd used stencils I'd made for the first boat.

What's that, Lipripper? Measure... 4 times? Or six?
I need the youngest here, he keeps up with that sort of stuff. I told him once I didn't know what I'd do without him. He said I'd probably starve in the street. So cold... but probably very accurate too.

Lipripper

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 29, 2017, 02:39:21 PM
After wasting time and paint on the plates, I realized the reason I couldn't get them to straighten the sides is because I'd used stencils I'd made for the first boat.

What's that, Lipripper? Measure... 4 times? Or six?
I need the youngest here, he keeps up with that sort of stuff. I told him once I didn't know what I'd do without him. He said I'd probably starve in the street. So cold... but probably very accurate too.
it could happen to any of us.  :'( So what does that mean you going to be able to recover it?

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: Lipripper on June 29, 2017, 02:42:03 PM
it could happen to any of us.  :'( So what does that mean you going to be able to recover it?
Oh! Oh, sorry, forgot to mention, I had enough scrap to make new ones. Here's a better mockup with the right sized plates.
And I believe I'm going to ditch the 1X6 seats.
I came to that idea when I realized six inches is kinda low if I attempt to stand and sit with my half crippled wide load, and the best place to put them is 2 feet from the middle brace. 24", and I have a 32" inseam. Six inches may also be a bit tall for stability.
So what I think I'm gonna do is just go buy a couple of folding boat seats from Walmart. May even do a little mod to have them at a slightly reclined angle. Chillax to the max.

SteelHorseCowboy

Came in on my day off to work on this. Almost done with the actual building. Soon as I finish getting that bow plate secured in the rear, going to sand and reglass the front and rear where the sides meet, then flip it over, do some more sanding, and add more fiberglass to strengthen the hull some more.
Paint, add the bamboo rails, and it'll be done. Finally. I didn't expect this one to take so long.

Lipripper

It's looking good.  ~c~ ~c~

SteelHorseCowboy

If feeling good about this one. Hopefully it'll be ready for water this weekend. It's tricky fitting the plates, the triangular flat tops on the ends. Since the wood got wet and warped a bit, I had to kind of stitch the edges together after forcing them flush. Once those "stitches" are all in place and set, I'm adding another layer of glass on top of the plates, covering them completely. They need to be strong since that's where I'm going to mount the cleats, which will be used to strap it to the roof of my car.

So, two clamps across the top about 3" apart, with the plates wedged in place, force the edges flush between the clamps (was using a light wooden mallet to tap them into place), place a strip of fiberglass on those flushed edges, wait for it to set just enough to hold, then release one clamp, leap frog it over the clamp left in place, and repeat to the end Add another full layer of glass, then move to the other end. The plates are just over two feet long, 25" if I remember correctly, 6 or 7 strips per side. Got one end done, and the strips holding the other end together. It was a long afternoon doing that, but I accomplished more than it looks. I'll go in early Monday morning and place the second layer across the plate on the far end and let it set until lunch time. Then flip and continue as planned.

Lipripper

your going to be busy  ~sweat That's a lot of work but it's going to look and work great when your done.

SteelHorseCowboy

My lady had some errands to run in town, so I had her drop me off at the office to work on it some more.
I'm on it right now, about to lay the last sheet of glass on the far end, then work on sanding the near end some more. Then I'll go back to the far end and do some more sanding after it sets.

SteelHorseCowboy

Woo this resin dust burns. If I didn't have this place so well ventilated I'd be in a living hell by now.
I made the mistake of getting my sweat rag and dusting rag mixed up. So I'd grabbed the dusting rag and used it to wipe the sweat off my face. As soon as that dust hits sweat, it reacts. And washing it don't seem to help much.