Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: New finesse rod/reel suggestions  (Read 1568 times)

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
New finesse rod/reel suggestions
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »

Alright I'm only looking to spend about $120 on rod and reel. Does anyone have any good suggestions maybe a combo? Recommendations on length and action would help too. It's nice having a more experienced opinion. 

hubcap91

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: New finesse rod/reel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:15 AM »

BPS sells a combo of their Bionic Blade rod with a Pflueger President XT reel for around $130.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:05:50 AM »

Define what you are considering"finesse". Because you ain't gonna get a casting reel for finesse fishing for that money, let alone a combo.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 05:51:27 AM »

I'm looking for a spinning reel. Should have specified. My apologies.

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »

Put the money in the rod. Just about any spinning reel will do and you can upgrade that later. Maybe a Dobyns Fury 702SF. You want sensitivity and backbone. With a spinning rig, you bring in the fish with the rod not with the reel. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:30:35 AM by Princeton_Man »
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 06:41:37 AM »

At the risk of being thrown off the board, take a look at The BPS Carbonlite Rods.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:51 AM »

At the risk of being thrown off the board, take a look at The BPS Carbonlite Rods.
Rodney

Thats it. Get out!  ~rant
 ~roflmao

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Va_Hawghunter

• Charter Member
  • Call'n all hawgs
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »

My .02$, grab an Abu Garcia Veritas rod for 79.00$ and get a 40$ reel, are you boat or bank fishing , that will determine length, medium action, I'll probably get hammered for that recommendation but oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »

What I would do is get a Pflueger Trion. Really nice little reel. Smooth drag, and perfect for finesse. It is light weight and looks nice on any rod.
They are about 39 bucks sometimes you can find them on sale for 29.

I would then use the rest of that money on a 100 dollar rod.
Like Oldfart said the carbonlite is a good rod. Sensitive, lightweight rod. Strong blanks with good backbone and they cast real nice.

Va reminded me of the Veritas rods. Everyone loves those things and they are a little cheaper than the carbonlites and very similar.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

rockchalk06

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »

What I would do is get a Pflueger Trion. Really nice little reel. Smooth drag, and perfect for finesse. It is light weight and looks nice on any rod.
They are about 39 bucks sometimes you can find them on sale for 29.

I would then use the rest of that money on a 100 dollar rod.
Like Oldfart said the carbonlite is a good rod. Sensitive, lightweight rod. Strong blanks with good backbone and they cast real nice.

Va reminded me of the Veritas rods. Everyone loves those things and they are a little cheaper than the carbonlites and very similar.

The Carbonlite rods are like the Academy House Brand rods. Not that well known about and the return policy is killer with both.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:29 AM »

The Carbonlite rods are like the Academy House Brand rods. Not that well known about and the return policy is killer with both.
Never used or held the Academy brand rods but I have heard good things about them.

This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

rockchalk06

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »

Never used or held the Academy brand rods but I have heard good things about them.

They are split grip and a hideous blue with some gawdy graphics, but they are good stuff. If I were a tournament fisherman, I would use them. They are available everywhere. If I buy one here in OK and break it in MS, swap out with zero hassle. Plus for the money, they are pretty sensitive rods. Just ugly. So ugly their mama keeps them in the basement with family comes over lo lo

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »

They are split grip and a hideous blue with some gawdy graphics, but they are good stuff. If I were a tournament fisherman, I would use them. They are available everywhere. If I buy one here in OK and break it in MS, swap out with zero hassle. Plus for the money, they are pretty sensitive rods. Just ugly. So ugly their mama keeps them in the basement with family comes over lo lo

Well at least the Carbonlites are nice to look at and so are the Veritas lol.

Another option is dicks sporting goods has a Field and Stream rod called the Inferno. It is red, it actually looks pretty good   ,40 bucks. Though they don't have lots of options in size and power. I have a 6'6" Medium and it is a great little rod. It survived a battle with either a gator or a huge turtle. Not sure what it was except it dove to the middle of a retention pond and had my Penn Fierce drag screeching completely tightened down,rod fully bent. After a couple minutes of fighting it and trying to pull it I finally gave up, and honestly didn't even want to drag a big ol gator out of the water so I cut the line.

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

I am 100% a bank fishermen  (yep means I'm broke). I was thinking medium/light but again I'm not that experienced. I've always thought it was get a better reel then upgrade the rod. Never knew the rod was that big of a deal. What about length? Anyone like the gx2 ugly stiks? I think that's right. I have a Abu Garcia cardinal sx40 already so should the 120 just go towards a rod?

rockchalk06

• Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

I am 100% a bank fishermen  (yep means I'm broke). I was thinking medium/light but again I'm not that experienced. I've always thought it was get a better reel then upgrade the rod. Never knew the rod was that big of a deal. What about length? Anyone like the gx2 ugly stiks? I think that's right. I have a Abu Garcia cardinal sx40 already so should the 120 just go towards a rod?

A good rule of thumb is to spend more and focus more on the rod than the reel. You can get a 15 dollar spinning reel to work well and last you for several years, but a 15 dollar rod is not going to give you near what you would want. When it comes to a casting reel, you will have a more difficult time with a cheap 20-30 dollar casting reel then you will a higher end one. You can do it, but you will need to spend more time with it.

I fish the bank the majority of the time. I'm only 5'9" so when working a bait that requires downward motion, fishing around trees etc or I need a precision stick, I go with a 6'9" or even shorter.

ML or Medium will work well. I fish finesse on a 2 power casting and a MF spinning rod. Both seem to throw 3" weightless stick baits well. More ease goes to the spinning set up.

I have that Cardinal spinning reel and it works very well. I think I paid 25 dollars on sale for it and the 6' MF rod it came on. Honestly, unless you really want to upgrade the reel, you will be just fine with it. I use mine on occasion. Never cleaned it or really taken care of it much and it still running.

If you want to go the full 120 on a rod, your options are pretty open. Something to think about is buying a used rod. There are some really good deals on 200 plus dollar rods that are in great shape and will fit that budget. Bass Pro, Cabelas and Academy all have quality house brand rods very cheap and they stand behind all their products.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 12:39:25 PM »

I found a couple of sites that had customer reviews; many remarked that the bail arm breaks, seems to be a recurring issue. Others loved it like rockchalk said, and they cited the smoothness of the reel, and that it lays line on the spool well; I guess its hit or miss. Rick's recommendation of the Trion is a good one.
6.31 PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 12:53:54 PM »

In a spinning outfit, spend the money on a better rod. The rod is the "power" of the setup. Spinning reels are great in the $40 to $60 range. If it brakes in 4 years, toss it and get another one. To me they are "disposable", and not worth the crazy money some of them fetch.

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

I like my spinning reel got it for $30 at wally world. I'm 6'0 if that helps determine the length. Where do I find used rods at? And what type of tip will help you feel the bite? I of course can feel the strong hits but if they just pick it up and don't move I'm afraid I'm missing fish. I'm a line watcher too. Paranoid about missing a fish. Hook sets are free

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »

There are others I'm sure that are more knowledgeable about this subject than I, but I think this is where the idea of spending more on the rod is significant. I'm pretty sure that with the better rods, the blank going all the way to the butt of the rod, the modulus count of the graphite, and the amount of blank exposed at the reel seat, along with the quality of the reel seat, all contribute to the sensitivity of the rod. Please, fellow members, correct me if I am wrong.
6.31 PB 🎣

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »

Nah, cport, youre pretty spot on.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »

I like my spinning reel got it for $30 at wally world. I'm 6'0 if that helps determine the length. Where do I find used rods at? And what type of tip will help you feel the bite? I of course can feel the strong hits but if they just pick it up and don't move I'm afraid I'm missing fish. I'm a line watcher too. Paranoid about missing a fish. Hook sets are free

If you are going to drop the whole ball of wax on a rod, you might want to consider this:

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-662sf/

6.31 PB 🎣

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »

Alright I'm only looking to spend about $120 on rod and reel. Does anyone have any good suggestions maybe a combo? Recommendations on length and action would help too. It's nice having a more experienced opinion.

Dobyns have refurbished Fury's for $80. With free shipping. That free's up some cash for a decent reel.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

West6550

• Charter Member
  • 9 LB PB
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »

My .02$, grab an Abu Garcia Veritas rod for 79.00$ and get a 40$ reel, are you boat or bank fishing , that will determine length, medium action, I'll probably get hammered for that recommendation but oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^This^^

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »

That Dobyns rod looks sick! I wish it had cork on the end though. I just like cork. I can tell i have alot to learn about rods. My dad's friend on base said he had a 13 fishing omen 7'7 medium light he would sell me for a hundred bucks. Is that a good deal for a used rod? Also that seems a little long to me. Inputs?

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »

Well, that is kinda long for bank fishing, and I found this cool deal at Cabela's website:

Buy any Omen Black rod and receive a Free Creed K spinning reel. $50 value.  Mail-in offer.  $9.95 S&H. Offer expires 5/31/17

Rod costs $110 for 6'10" ML Spinning rod, one piece with an extra fast tip.

Here's the link
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fishing-rods/spinning-rods|/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104836680/fishing-omen-black-spinning-rod/2185861.uts
6.31 PB 🎣

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »

Here's the reel

CRK2000    Right/Left    5.2:1    8.5 oz    7SS + 1RB    6/195, 8/130

CRK3000    Right/Left    5.2:1    9.4 oz    7SS + 1RB    8/200, 10/170
6.31 PB 🎣

Keyco

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Good find! I Might just have to do that. Free $50 reel I've never heard of sounds great! Thanks for everyones help I got a lot of thinking to do.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »

I am a bit late to the party, but..............

There is a classified section on this forum.  Every fishing forum I have ever looked at had a classified section.  One of the most active is Bass Boat Central (bbcboards.net).  I have purchased many rods and reels from there.  Also be sure to check out Fisherman's Factory Outlet (ffo-tackle.com) for new rods at great prices.  They are the outlet for Pure Fishing.  I have bought several Fenwick rods from them.  $75 shipped for a $180 Aetos.  Buy one, get second 50% off netted me 2 Aetos crankbait rods for less than the price of one.  Had to pay shipping that time...about $15.  Really like the HMG rods from there.

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/ffo-rods/  $60 for a $100 Veritas casting of spinning rod.  However, you have to keep an eye on FFO as items vary.  Right now pickings are slim.  Can also find deals on reels.

I know several states have their own bass fishing forums.  Texas Fishing Forum is pretty big...and very active...but you have to sort though a lot of ads for stuff other than rods and reels.  New York's forum isn't very active, but I have found some great buys on it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.