First boat questions

Started by Colton, May 25, 2017, 02:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton

Hi everybody long time lurker but first time posting.

Wanting to get into a boat and keep going back and forth. Boat will have me my wife and our toddler daughter. It absolutely has to be stable cause I flip a boat with baby on board and moms not going to be to happy lol

We've fished out of our ski boat that we just sold as well as an old wooden boat I used for duck hunting that has also been sold.

Right now I could spend around 1500 which limits me to older aluminum boats that I could convert and a few bass boats (80's) that have obvious problems that will cost 20k to fix.

I guess in a long drawn out way what are your guys opinions on jons and v bottom aluminums with a little 9.9-15 hp?

Figure it would get us into a boat for the summer and could sell it at the end of the year and beable to spend 5-10 k in a real boat next year.

Lakes we fish are small and do not get choppy. I've fished/hunted all these lakes for the last 5 years and have only been scared twice but that was during a blizzard duck hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Hello and welcome to Ultimate Bass and glad to have you here with us. Your right Moma wouldn't be to happy if you flipped the boat with the baby in it make sure you get her a PFD.  ;D I have never owned a boat so can't give you any advice about them but I'm sure you could find a good stable aluminum one for that price.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

If it floats and gets you on the water, it's a great boat!

Fishing smaller lakes can be easier out of aluminum rigs. If you look into something in the 14 ft range it will be extremely stable. I fished out of a 12 ft v bottom for years and never felt uncomfortable. I'd take it to big water when the weather was right. With a 9.9 you won't over power and get into a bind.

Don't get in a hurry and what the weather, the only thing momma has to worry about is the baby getting a sun burn  ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

If you go with a Jon boat, go wide. Something like a 1456. Width improves stability. A V hull or modified V will be a lot more stable. You may have to go a foot or longer to get one. Often times you can find older Bass Tracker 165s and 175s from the late 70's early 80s pretty cheap. Just be sure to get the motor checked out.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Colton

Awesome thanks guys. I searched through Craigslist a ton last night and there seems to be quite a few 14 foot modified and v's laying around would like one with the Highest sides I can find....

What should I look for in a used motor?

Compression test and spark test and obviously make sure the head isn't seized are the 3 big ones that pop out to me. I can understand a dirty carb on an older motor

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Colton on May 25, 2017, 12:07:04 PM
Awesome thanks guys. I searched through Craigslist a ton last night and there seems to be quite a few 14 foot modified and v's laying around would like one with the Highest sides I can find....

What should I look for in a used motor?

Compression test and spark test and obviously make sure the head isn't seized are the 3 big ones that pop out to me. I can understand a dirty carb on an older motor

You don't want anything that requires any work. Compression test will reveal a lot. Check the lower unit oil, milky appearance could mean leaking seals. If you find something you like, be willing to pay a shop $50-100 to go over the thing. If they find something wrong, it could be the best $50-100 you ever spend.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Colton

Think this hull would be suitable? It's a 14 foot guy didn't know how wide but judging from the vehicles in the back looks decent. It's a pretty cheap hill which would leave me plenty of money for some repairs to the boat and a good motor and good electronics

Lipripper

Don't look to bad and did he say if it had any leaks in it. If it didn't cost to much you could you could afford to fix it up .

Colton

He said water tight but I'm not holding my breath on it it's a pretty old boat.... I worked in a fab shop for 6 years prior to my current career so a little rivet job or welding wouldn't be the end of the world

Oldfart9999

To be honest I'd like a wider boat with a toddler, amazing how they can move. A 9.9 on that would work out well and you should have no problem getting your money out of it when you decide to sell. If the hull looks solid I wouldn't worry about it's integrity.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Colton

So I ran across a 16 foot I assumed 36-40 bottom the guy will sell me for 275 it needs ALLOT of work pretty much rip everything out and rebrace everything which is fine. Only problem is no trailer which is about 350-450 on Craigslist. The 14 footer is 300 with a trailer. Is 2 feet going to make that much difference??? They both look about the same width

Princeton_Man

IMO, You're probably better off with the 14'. The two extra feet on a narrow 16' boot isn't worth it. -J

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Colton

Went and looked at the 14 footer in person hard pass it's beat to crap and is only 32 inches across. Wife's leaning to the 16 footer pretty hard I forgot the tape when we looked at the 16 but I'm guessing 36-40 inches wide at transom and way wider in the middle.... if we do go with the 16 footer what motor do I look for? There are no plates in the back to say what hp I can use? Reading online guys are using 2.5 hp- 40 hp on a 14-16 foot boat????? I'm thinking a 25????

Colton

Ended up picking this up today for a price I thought was more than fair. I'll go check stability and decent deck height tomorrow. Figure worse case scenario I'll rig some pvc out riggers to get us through this year.

Colton

Also it's 48 inches wide at base of the transom

Lipripper

It looks ok in the pictures and did you get to check out the motor on it?

Colton

105/107 PSI lower unit looked awesome compared to my 78 Johnson that had leaking seals. Put muffs on it and started on the 2nd pull  idled and sounded very smooth. Fwd rev all worked no issues. Older gentleman I bought it from appeared to take very good care of all his toys he had in his garage. Had a beautiful house and appeared to take care of his things. Boat was his boat from getting to shore and docked house boat so 15 years of being tied to and bumped up against the house barge explains all the bumps and bruises on the hull. Gonna to a complete re paint and see how stable she is before I decide on deck height

Lipripper

Sounds like it could be a great boat and was taken god care of. It's a fishing boat the dinks are to be expected.  ;D

cport

Thanks for taking us along. I'm sure some newer boat types could use this kind of information.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Oldfart9999

Nice find! Looks like it has a lot of potential! Check out Tinboats for ideas and how tos.
Rodney

Colton

Colton

Have it mostly done just some latch work with hinges struts and slam latches. Had a complete blast redoing it. Already want to sell it and start another one haha

Donald Garner

Looking good.  Tks for sharing the pictures with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

West6550

Looking awesome man!

My first boat was a 1972 Sears v hull boat similar to that. Caught plenty of fish out of it as well with no issues!

Enjoy!

Oldfart9999

Nice job!!! Don't sell it until a new project is done, you need something to fish out of!! lo lo
Rodney