The monkey wins again!

Started by SFL BassHunter, May 26, 2017, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

The monkey got me! I needed to replace my cheapo Berkley Amp spinning rod because the reel seat hood cracked and I had a spinning reel laying around collecting dust.

So the journey started with looking at a bunch of brands and a bunch of models and going back and forth and back again, then forth until I decided on a St. Croix Avid X. Everyone raves about their sensitivity and that is exactly what I need. I chose the MH 7' since it will be an all around rod. I am hoping it can do just about everything I need it to do in the clear water lake, and canals I fish from the bank. From bottom contact to some power fishing with spinnerbaits, cranks and whatever else.
I'll be putting my Okuma Helios 40x reel on it and now to decide on a line. Most likely will be Sunline Mono or Senshi so that I can throw topwater stuff on it as well.
Would prefer fluoro but then no topwater. Senshi is about as close to a fluorocarbon as far as bite detection, and stretch as I have used.
Sunline Mono is a close second.

If anyone has a better recommendation for line please let me know.

Here is what I am looking for:
Buoyant
Very Low Stretch
Sensitive
Strong Line
Fairly Manageable

Lines I have already used that are a NO:
Yozuri Hybrid
Big Game
Suffix Siege and Elite
P-Line Fluoroclear
Braid
Fluorocarbon
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Lipripper

I see that has ben busy again  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

FoxMurderer

Hey try the Berkley big game mono. It's some great stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FoxMurderer on May 26, 2017, 06:23:30 PM
Hey try the Berkley big game mono. It's some great stuff!

I use big game for my saltwater fishing and like it for that. But not really a fan of it for my bass fishing. It's got more stretch than I'd prefer and its pretty thick compared to Sunline and Senshi. I have gotten used to their supple and thin diameter, its hard for me to go to big game.Though one thing is for sure, big game is a strong line.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

FoxMurderer

Your right. You have a point. Sorry couldn't help.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FoxMurderer on May 26, 2017, 06:40:26 PM
Your right. You have a point. Sorry couldn't help.

No worries. Thanks for the suggestion
Florida Bass Fishing

loomisguy

Defier Armilo

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: loomisguy on May 26, 2017, 08:31:52 PM
Defier Armilo

I remember you mentioning that one before. I always forget about that one because when I read about it, usually it's marketed for topwater and cranks.

Might be worth taking a look at it since I do like the Sunline Mono Natural.

I'd love it if it came in clear! Either way gonna get me a spool of it. Did some reading up on it and it sounds like the kind of line I am looking for. It's visibility in crystal clear water and success in catching fish will be the final deciding factor on whether I continue using it, or not.
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rickdelprado on May 26, 2017, 09:45:10 PM
I remember you mentioning that one before. I always forget about that one because when I read about it, usually it's marketed for topwater and cranks.

Might be worth taking a look at it since I do like the Sunline Mono Natural.

I'd love it if it came in clear! Either way gonna get me a spool of it. Did some reading up on it and it sounds like the kind of line I am looking for. It's visibility in crystal clear water and success in catching fish will be the final deciding factor on whether I continue using it, or not.
Oh come on, don't blame the line because you don't catch fish. Lol.

You didn't like Senshi?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rockchalk06

I like Sunline. That's what I use for topwater. It's the only Rig I throw mono one. Memory sucks compared to braid, but they come in 300 yard spools and it floats well.

j102

Quote from: rickdelprado on May 26, 2017, 09:45:10 PM

If you don't find clear line, the low vis green should work too.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on May 27, 2017, 04:13:20 AM
Oh come on, don't blame the line because you don't catch fish. Lol.

You didn't like Senshi?

<")))>{
First and foremost, I have no issue catching fish.

Second, I do like Senshi and it's the first line I choose for my reels. But I do have my issues with it. For one it's pretty fragile. 20lb test is not 20lb test. In fact Sunline which is 16lb test holds on much better when I'm stuck on a rock or in sawgrass or a tree than 20 senshi. Btw I haven't caught any trees lately. Maybe it's cause the lack of stretch even though Sunline doesn't have much either.
But it does have all the other properties I want in a mono. Hence why it's at the top of my list.

Now I didn't have any Senshi available this morning and I needed to put something stronger than 8 lb for where I was going I had some Sunline natural mono and spooled up.

It's good stuff. Has all the properties I want but it's slightly less sensitive than senshi. So it's a give and take.

I caught some fish today on the Helios and Sunline on my Methods travel rod. Can't wait for my St Croix though. Should blow that Fenwick Methods out of the water.

Florida Bass Fishing

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: j102 on May 27, 2017, 09:11:23 AM
If you don't find clear line, the low vis green should work too.
Yeah I've used low vis green. Don't think the shooter defier comes in it though. I think it's grey??
Either way I'll give it a shot. I need to spool my pflueger so I'll put the shooter on there
Florida Bass Fishing

JEngbarth

Red Label 10# flouro

Lipripper

Quote from: JEngbarth on May 28, 2017, 02:23:13 PM
Red Label 10# flouro

Welcome to Ultimate Bass come back when you can and play around a little more.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: loomisguy on May 26, 2017, 08:31:52 PM
Defier Armilo

Bought a spool of it Loomisguy! Thanks for the suggestion. Hope it works out for me.
Florida Bass Fishing

loomisguy

I think you will like it rick . I usually use the 13 lb.  The stuff casts and handles great.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: loomisguy on May 28, 2017, 05:25:10 PM
I think you will like it rick . I usually use the 13 lb.  The stuff casts and handles great.

I went with 15 since it is a really thin diameter. Also I am used to throwing the 16lb natural mono which is .013 diameter and the armilo 15 is .0126 so it pretty much matches up with the diameter of 16.

Looking forward to trying it.
Florida Bass Fishing

West6550

65lb Powerpro, won't break that lmao

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: West6550 on May 29, 2017, 12:11:11 AM
65lb Powerpro, won't break that lmao
lol I dare you to come down and fish 65lb powerpro at the lake I fish. You'll be doing a lot of casting and retrieving, but there won't be any catching going on, unless they are in one of those moods where they will hit anything. Those days are far and few between though.  ~roflmao
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Unless he uses a long leader. Will that work, even with 65lbs PP as a main line?

West6550

I rarely use 65# lol I was just being funny.

Oldfart9999

The monkey always wins, resistance is futile.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: West6550 on May 29, 2017, 10:31:53 PM
I rarely use 65# lol I was just being funny.
I know you were.

Quote from: j102 on May 29, 2017, 08:40:09 PM
Unless he uses a long leader. Will that work, even with 65lbs PP as a main line?

I don't use leaders. I suck at tying thin knots and I've only had bad experiences with leaders when tying line to line. Now in saltwater I will tie a leader, but I will use a swivel.
Florida Bass Fishing

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: rickdelprado on May 30, 2017, 12:03:15 PM
I don't use leaders. I suck at tying thin knots and I've only had bad experiences with leaders

Now I don't feel so bad! Same here Rick!
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!