Help me with a new budget minded rod please

Started by SteelHorseCowboy, June 04, 2017, 04:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelHorseCowboy

Only bass I got a hit on yesterday, I was using my Zebco 33 with the Zebco rod that came with the combo. It's like a piece of driftwood tipped with a spaghetti noodle. I missed the fish because I didn't even know it was there until he jumped and spit my worm out.

Right now my Ambassadeur 5000 is on a 6'6" Berkley Lightning Rod, and my micro 33 is on a shorter Berkley LR. I'm loving those two rods, especially for the price. I can keep a worm brushing the top of grass and a crappie jig running between stumps in shallow water just by feel. But I know there's better rods out there. So I'm wanting to eventually upgrade the rod under my 5000 and move my big 33 onto the Berkley.

My only concerns are: 6'6" is about the longest I can fit in my car. Leaving them sticking up out of the window isn't an option. It's not uncommon in Monroe and West Monroe for some a$$hole to snap them off just for the hell of it.
I love the sensitivity of these Berkleys, I need to stay under $100, and I don't know jack about rods. I got the Berkleys because they were in my budget and better than nothing, which is what I had for those two reels at the time.

Meltz

Definitely pick up the blackout rod from TW, definitely worth it for $56.

Princeton_Man

Check out the Lew's TP1 Speed stick. I was fishing with someone the this weekend who was using one and had lots of good things to say about it. 5'9" sensitive and a great caster according to him.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

fishandkamp

You could upgrade one of your rods to a Dobyns Fury 663C or 664C for $110. That is a quality nice rod.

Another good option would be an Abu Garcia Veritas 6'6" medium.  These rods are able to throw baits heavier than they claim.  I am certain it will throw baits ranging from 1/4 to 3/4 at least, if not a little heavier. This rod should run around $79.99.

Both of these rods should provide you a big step up from the gear you have now.  Eventually you nay want to add a decent medium action spinning rod to allow you to throw other lures.

SteveTX

Considering Dobyns is a forum sponsor and the very positive responses from anglers I would watch the Refurbished store. I see different models in here at different times so keep a eye on it you might find other rods there in the 6'6" range you need.

I just ordered a 703SF that was in the store and there was $0.00 shipping so I added a Dobyns decal  :)  My whole bill Total $81.99 I thought that was a good deal and comes in way under your $100 budget. 

SteelHorseCowboy

Which rod is sold with the Black Max combo? I assume it's a bargain bin rod they crank out on the cheap so they can sell a decent little combo for less than $100.
But I'd also assume the blank itself is probably used on other rods, and that rod is actually the reason I've not even considered any of the other ones Abu makes. It's alright, but if their other models feel the same, I'd rather spend that kind of money on something else.

rockchalk06

Do you have an Academy sports near you? H2O reel and rods are going to fit your budget nicely.

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: rockchalk06 on June 05, 2017, 05:38:10 AM
Do you have an Academy sports near you? H2O reel and rods are going to fit your budget nicely.
Yes, sure do! They have a big selection, but somehow they don't seem to have many in my price range. Some they do have I'm a bit skittish of.
My comment about Abu rods above is an example.
I've heard good things about H2O, but I tried some of their fishing line and was absolutely disgusted. It was some of the roughest, stiffest, kinkiest line I'd ever seen. Couldn't get it to work on baitcasters or spincasters.
And one crap product will absolutely destroy a company's name in the eyes of a novice.
I'll be sure to go ahead and handle/fondle both the Abu rods and H2Os next time I go in there, just to make sure I'm not just completely misjudging.
I'll also look for the blackout and the speedstick, see if they have one I can handle. I'm pretty positive I saw a Lew's rod in there.

West Monroe's Academy is hard to work with. The employees try, but residents go in, shoplift, remove price tags, move things around, damage merchandise, etc, etc.
Half the rods I pick up and handle are damaged. If buying ammo, I have to open each box, pull out each round, and inspect them all.
I've found shoes missing shoelaces. Packages of socks torn open and missing a pair.
Last rod I bought there, about two weeks ago, I was slowly going over it from butt to tip, inspecting every square inch. Manager walks by. "I know bro... I know. Don't forget you can bring it back if you find some damage you missed here."

FloridaFishinFool

The best deal on budget rods is at Gander Mountain right now...

They have their $60.00 vortex rods on sale for $20.00 and with the "going out of business" sale happening they will give another 20% off on top of that bringing the price down under $16.00.

And for baitcast rods, their 6'6" vortex is a sturdy sensitive rod for the price.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteveTX on June 04, 2017, 10:19:11 PM
Considering Dobyns is a forum sponsor and the very positive responses from anglers I would watch the Refurbished store. I see different models in here at different times so keep a eye on it you might find other rods there in the 6'6" range you need.

I just ordered a 703SF that was in the store and there was $0.00 shipping so I added a Dobyns decal  :)  My whole bill Total $81.99 I thought that was a good deal and comes in way under your $100 budget. 

What he said.
I would look at BPS rods also, they have a couple of lines under a 100$ that are nice.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

I forgot all about the Ethos rods. They are a nice alternative choice. Easily fits the budget and size requirements and are petty nice rods. They have plenty of nice Fuji Alconite guides unlike most cheap rods that leave off guides. I like the Fuji ACS reel seat as well and the rods are light. I'm no rod expert but I have a couple and for the $ they have been a good deal.

If your store is not that good or like me its over a hour away I would just order it. I have one of the 7' Ethos HD Micro Rods in Medium Heavy / Fast and I have 7'3" Heavy / Fast Ethos HD Micro and both have served me well. I caught them on sale for $40 but if I don't think $69.99 is out of line based on the ones I have.

Looks like they are getting out of the Micro guide ones but I would have no issue with one of these. H2O XPRESS Ethos HD Baitcast Rod

I believe the shipping is free but you might check that before ordering. If you decide on one.

Mike Cork

Quote from: SteveTX on June 04, 2017, 10:19:11 PM

Wow  ~c~ That's a steal on a high quality rod, good job on sniffing that out :toot:

Lots of good options given. Let us know what you decide on  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteelHorseCowboy

SteveTX

Princeton_Man

Yup! That is cool! Gotta check it out myself.  ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: SteveTX on June 05, 2017, 06:44:19 PM
? Inquiring minds
Not sure how it shows up for everyone else, but on my screen (using latest Android and Tapatalk) it appears Mr. Cork sent me a kiss.
I'm sure it's just some tech anomaly and completely unintentional, but oh wow. While we're talking about rods too?
I'm happily claimed!

SteveTX

FISH520

Hahaha!!!  That's a good one there.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

West6550

Haha yea same here lol

I second the Abu Veritas, tacklewarehouse had them on sale and had a memorial day sale, I got a H rod for flippin for 67.99 shipped.

I have several Veritas and have had a few of them for about 5 years now. They are excellent rods for the money. Hence why I bought another lol

I have 4 Veritas and 2 Vendetta rods.. wit this one on the way it will be 4, 2 and my new LSCR.

SFL BassHunter

Hahaha yeah the tapatalk or phone emoji don't line up with the site emoji in a lot of cases. Lol
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Its because Mike really loves us, and is not afraid to express his feelings.  ~roflmao
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Polaris425

Quote from: West6550 on June 05, 2017, 11:07:19 PM
Haha yea same here lol

I second the Abu Veritas, tacklewarehouse had them on sale and had a memorial day sale, I got a H rod for flippin for 67.99 shipped.

I have several Veritas and have had a few of them for about 5 years now. They are excellent rods for the money. Hence why I bought another lol

I have 4 Veritas and 2 Vendetta rods.. wit this one on the way it will be 4, 2 and my new LSCR.

I agree w/ the Veritas... I have one in 6'6" and it's a great all around rod. I've used it for multiple lures. Even used it for a frog rod in a tight spot once, and it did just fine.

Also, I've seen that kissy face on tapatalk from MC a LOT... whatever the BB code is here for whatever he's using which I THINK is the winking smilie, is the same code on tapatalk for the kissy face.... I thought it strange the first time I Saw it but, then stared seeing it a LOT and figured, it HAD to be an issue between platforms. I was positive that Mr. Cork didn't feel THAT strongly about me.... LOL  ;D
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Mike Cork

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on June 05, 2017, 08:22:49 PM
Not sure how it shows up for everyone else, but on my screen (using latest Android and Tapatalk) it appears Mr. Cork sent me a kiss.
I'm sure it's just some tech anomaly and completely unintentional, but oh wow. While we're talking about rods too?

That's interesting? It was supposed to be an IDEA smiley? I'll have to look into why there is a cross over problem?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteelHorseCowboy

Lol, I know it wasn't intentional, heck, you barely know me!

I'll take a closer look at the Abus and these other rods, thanks for the suggestions! Going to take my 5000 off of it's rod and carry it in with me to get a feel for them with the reel mounted.

Kris

I have always had good luck buying nice rods from Walmart's Clearance Section in many stores.  When I was on the road it was easy, not so much anymore.
Just to give you an idea:
3 - Berkley LR Shock models, lowest price $25
            7' Medium Spinning
            6' 6" Medium Heavy Casting
            7' Medium Heavy Casting
1 - 7' W&M Skeet Reese Worm/Jig rod - $40
1 - 7'  Falcon Bucoo Micro Medium Casting - $40

Always gotta look them over well but I never had a problem with any rods I bought there.  Either the Skeet Reese or the Falcon were good deals at $40 each.

Just got my new Cabela's flyer yesterday.  If you are looking for a baitcasting reel their Cabela's Pro Guide baitcaster, 6.3:1, 7+1 bearings, right or left hand is on sale for $39.99.  Made by Daiwa and probably somewhere between an Exceler and a Fuego.  Might get some opinions from the Daiwa guys on here.
They also have Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 rods, casting and spinning on sale for $69.99
Lew's Mach Speed Stick Rods, spinning and casting with Winn Grips on sale for $79.99

Lots of other stuff but thought you might look into these above.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat