Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Baitfish Fly for Bass!  (Read 1070 times)

bigjim5589

New Baitfish Fly for Bass!
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »

Had not done any tying in awhile, and it rained all day yesterday, so decided it was time.
Intended to look like a shad, and is about 5" long.

Tied with Tibetan Lamb, with peacock herl fibers topping it. Plus there's some blue pearl Polar Flash in there & and natural color mallard flank cheeks. The hook used is a Mustad 9174NP-BLN, a short shank O'Shaughnessy style Ultra Point Live Bait hook in 2/0 size.

The lamb hair is dyed gray, over dyed light blue, over a sliver of dyed pink, which doesn't show very well,  all over some natural white.

Should be a good bass fly!  ;D

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
Re: New Baitfish Fly for Bass!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »

Very nice Jim. I really need to get tying some bass flies also.
How did you form the head, is it UV cure epoxy?

bigjim5589

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »

Steve, thanks! Actually, it's a clear fabric paint I had. Didn't turn out as nice as I had wanted. I think the paint is getting old & didn't flow real well. I've used similar fabric paints & they smooth out real well usually, but this one was a bit lumpy. When I finished tying, the thread was coated with Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails. Then after that had dried completely, I simply stuck the 3-D eyes on the sides & started coating with the paint. It dries tough, but flexible.  :)

Bigwrench

• CM Community Diplomat
  • "Your Mileage May Vary"
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »

Absolutely amazing ! Wish I had your talent, always wanted to try those out. 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:07:36 PM »

Had not done any tying in awhile, and it rained all day yesterday, so decided it was time.
Intended to look like a shad, and is about 5" long.

that looks like a GREAT blueback herring imitator.  Man, tossing that around on a sinking fly line in the tailwaters around here could result in a lot of things... including taking a ride on the ROCK island express... aka striper.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 05:14:28 AM »

Very nice looking fly Jim, a piece of art!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 07:11:44 AM »

That is a very sharp looking fly Jim. ~c~ ~c~ Now you need to get out and try fishing it.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

j102

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:16 AM »

It looks great Jim! It should produce some nice fish.

bigjim5589

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »

Thanks guys for the fine comments! Very much appreciated. Bigwrench, anytime you decide to go for it, let me know! I'll hook you up with some flies!  :)

Coldfront, my mind doesn't work right these days, and you're right, it probably looks more like a Blue Back than a Shad. Same offer applies to you!   ~shade

Jerry, I went the other day, did some bank fishing but didn't stay too long. Windy as heck! I'll get it wet soon!  ;)

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »

Thanks guys for the fine comments! Very much appreciated. Bigwrench, anytime you decide to go for it, let me know! I'll hook you up with some flies!  :)

Coldfront, my mind doesn't work right these days, and you're right, it probably looks more like a Blue Back than a Shad. Same offer applies to you!   ~shade

Jerry, I went the other day, did some bank fishing but didn't stay too long. Windy as heck! I'll get it wet soon!  ;)
I could see where tossing a fly into the wind would be a problem. ~sweat

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

bigjim5589

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:12:52 PM »

Lip, it's not a big problem if the right gear is used. That fly will be fine with a 10 wt rod even with a moderate wind, but I took a 4 wt out the other day, which is like an ultralight looking for some Bluegills & that was not the best choice with the windy conditions. I was trying to cast into the wind & simply couldn't keep the line or fly in the water.  lo

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 06:17:52 AM »

Lip, it's not a big problem if the right gear is used. That fly will be fine with a 10 wt rod even with a moderate wind, but I took a 4 wt out the other day, which is like an ultralight looking for some Bluegills & that was not the best choice with the windy conditions. I was trying to cast into the wind & simply couldn't keep the line or fly in the water.  lo

am a personal fan of xfast actions and tight loops  ;D  having learned to flyfish in Kansas, if we let wind slow us down, we'd just not be out there much. 

jim, you replace that blue part with a light/mustard  yellow and it goes to threadfin 'just like that'.

once again, that is a GREAT fly!

bigjim5589

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »

jim, you replace that blue part with a light/mustard  yellow and it goes to threadfin 'just like that'.

once again, that is a GREAT fly!

Thank you for the remarks & the color suggestion. I have some of that hair that's a yellow color!  :-*
 ;D

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 07:22:14 AM »

Thank you for the remarks & the color suggestion. I have some of that hair that's a yellow color!  :-*
 ;D

been having a ball tossing a rapala DT6 in 'river shad' color for past year.  gives off a great threadfin 'vibe'... or as the locals call them 'yellowtails'...

know lots of folks will say color doesn't matter.  Perhaps not, but I sure seem to get bit more when I 'match the hatch'.

Guess that's the 'dark side' of fly-fishing and it's influence on me...   ~roflmao

bigjim5589

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 09:18:13 AM »

For all the years I've been at it, I try to believe that colors matter more to us than the fish, yet have seen many times that colors have had some importance in whether I caught fish or not. Yep, I too believe that "match the hatch" is a good philosophy to follow. However, I usually go more with "generic" matching rather than specific. Light or dark probably has more importance than actual colors, but where's the fun in that?  lo

I enjoy tying & being creative, and never have doubts what I tie on will catch something!  ~gf

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 09:22:29 AM »

Jim
I really admire the artistic creativity that comes through in fly tyers.  Occasionally read the magazines just to see all the cool stuff that's going on...

stay really busy with bass fishing and have not picked up a fly rod in years.  Also, made a 'studied' decision not to get into fly -tying as I could see the addiction and 'time-suck' ahead for me...   lo

bigjim5589

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »

Well, I like bass fishing & using a fly rod, so bought heavy enough rods to do both. Of course, I've always liked chasing the Stripers too, so the same gear & flies does double duty.

Tying can be an art form, and there are many who are more creative than I'll ever be. I tie "fishing" flies, so as long as they work, I'm good with it!

I don't mind the time involved with tying because I really enjoy it. All the years I've driven a truck, that limited my fishing, so tying was something I could do in short spans of time, and something I could actually take with me on the road.  Besides, I do most tying at night, plenty in the colder months & I'm not doing anything constructive then anyway! :)

A post was recently made on a Facebook fly tying forum that I frequent about "saving money" by tying. Yep, it can become addicting. On a per fly basis, a tyer can save by tying, but that doesn't account for the many thousands spent on materials & tools!  lo

Heck, I could have probably bought a real nice boat with what I've got invested in tying materials!  ::)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.