P-Line Floroclear Opinions.

Started by j102, June 09, 2017, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j102

I have been looking at the P-Line Floroclear (Fluorocarbon coated line) line to use as a leader only. I use braid on everything, with a leader sometimes.
What are your opinions on it?

SFL BassHunter

One of the first lines I bought. I don't like it one bit. I would prefer Yozuri over Fluoroclear any day.

I found issues with fluoroclear break strength.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

I have it rigged on most of my rods and have had no problems. Far better than straght flouro.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Kris

I have it on my two spinning outfits and other P-Line on my baitcasters, CX, CXX.  I like them all.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

j102

After I posted the question here, I started reading Amazon and other online reviews and it is mostly positive reviews.
People say is strong.
I'm looking at 25lbs, 30lbs, to use as a leader for nearshore Saltwater fishing.

j102

I have been reading some reviews and it appears to be a decent line to use as a leader.

j102

Quote from: rickdelprado on June 09, 2017, 06:00:01 PM
I found issues with fluoroclear break strength.

Rick,

What lbs/test were you using?

oldjim

Not as stiff as flourocarbon, use it in 15 and 20lb test works great, caught a 7.93lb with 8lb of grass on caddo.
Oldjim

j102

j102

I tried the P-Line Floroclear line fishing around the canals, and the kids got it stuck on the trees and bottom grass and the line did not break. We were using 25 lbs test.
I might get some 30 lbs test (leader) for Saltwater fishing.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: j102 on June 12, 2017, 09:15:57 PM
Rick,

What lbs/test were you using?

I used 15lb. I still have like half a spool of it I think.

Give it a shot and see if you like it. Line is just like most fishing gear is all about personal opinion and perspective. Some people can use just about any line and they go out and fish without thinking twice about it. I'm very picky. Lines that might work for some folks just don't do it for me.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

I'm very picky too, and line strength is one of the most important factors for me. That, and knot strength if I am using it as a leader.
I hear the Improved Clinch knot is one of the best to use for fluoro lines.
I used uni-to-uni for braid to mono, or the Palomar knot for braid straight to the hook/lure. But I am going to try the Improved Clinch knot for this line.

j102

I have braid on all my reels, and I use straight braid for Freshwater fishing.
I am only looking at this line to use as a leader for Saltwater fishing.

zippyduck

Seguar red label is what I use for leader in Erie for trolling. Awesome stuff.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: zippyduck on June 22, 2017, 07:46:32 PM

It's what I use for my saltwater leaders too. Good stuff!
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: zippyduck on June 22, 2017, 07:46:32 PM

Zippy,

You use both, P-Line Floroclear and Seaguar Red Label. Which one you think is better? And better as a leader?

zippyduck

I use P-line flouro clear as a main line for fishing around wood and rock. It is a lot more flexibe than any straight flouros. I love Seguar red label flouro for a leader as it is extremely strong and is very good in abrasive areas.
I use it mostly as a leader on dypsy divers that are dragged near the bottom of Erie around zebra mussels and rocks.
Walleye teeth have never wore through the Seguar.

j102

Thank you Zippy! Thanks for the detailed response.
They both have good reviews. I guess it's a matter of preference.

DinksAllDay

I use pline fluroclear without issues 12 lbs

However my cousin used the same libe..from the same spool and broke off 4 times on the same fishing trip...it could be his knot..he was using double uni knot..I was trying out fg knot (I haven't had issues with my double uni knot before tho..)

So maybe it was how he was trying it ?

j102

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 27, 2017, 03:40:57 AM

However my cousin used the same libe..from the same spool and broke off 4 times on the same fishing trip...it could be his knot..he was using double uni knot..I was trying out fg knot (I haven't had issues with my double uni knot before tho..)

Maybe.   
Were you guys using it as a leader? Or main line?

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on June 27, 2017, 03:40:57 AM

That is the knot I used to tie when I used leaders and I used the pline for leader.
The double uni. Too many break offs. Could have been the knot. Probably was the knot.
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Because of the Fluoro coating it might need to be treated as one would treat a Fluorocarbon line and perhaps use a different knot. I don't know. I have never had issues with the Uni-to-Uni knot.