Rod protection, rod socks, rod sleeves, rod gloves

Started by Marty-WI, June 11, 2017, 07:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty-WI

New to the site but did a search first before posting. Could not find anything recent for what I was looking for.  Please give me some recommendations on rod protection for either bait casters or spinning rods.  I picked up some Cabelas rod protectors and like how snug they fit my rod. Looked at Rod Gloves on another site so interested in thoughts on them.

gshappell

I use Stick Jacket rod protectors.  Dont have anything to compare them to but they have worked really good for me...have them on 5 or 6 bait casters.

fishandkamp

I was using the Cabelas and Bass Pro sleeves ( their older black ones that extended down to the reel) but got tire of how much room they took off when not in use.
I have changed over to using all Elite Rod Sleeves and like them a lot.  They are available in both spinning and baitcasting and also in a short, standard and long versions.

bassmanstan

I use the khs sleeves off eBay. They're like $4 a piece and do the trick just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

Hey Marty. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

I personally use the Pro series Rod Gloves. I like to cover as much of the blank as possible so I use the extra long models for any rods 7' 2" and over. I have a couple of custom built rods and these are the only covers I trust to put them in. Just my $.02

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

I use the pro series rod glove also. Love them. No guides get caught in them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kadas

Quote from: zippyduck on June 11, 2017, 02:43:40 PM
I use the pro series rod glove also. Love them. No guides get caught in them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Same here--I really like the tip on them. I think they do a better job of protecting the tip a lot better than some of the other rod sleeves on the market

Princeton_Man

I use the Rod Glove Micro Guide series. Very happy with them.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

FloridaFishinFool

I use the all cotton rod sleeves. They are very cheap, but I had to switch over to them because that standard mesh was useless on my rods since most of the rods I use have micro guides on them and they easily poke through the mesh and are exposed unprotected, and when the micro guide pokes through the mesh type, it is difficult to take it off. I have to adjust the mesh sock to get all the exposed guides back inside of it so I can remove it and it can be a real pain.

This problem with the micro guides applies equally to both baitcast and spinning rods that I have with micro guides. The plastic mesh simply does not do a good enough job. But they work fine for rods with larger guides that can not protrude through the mesh exposing them.

Another reason I now use the all cotton solid fabric rod socks is because they have tie straps.

Recently I went fishing with a buddy and we both put our rods in the boat we are towing. One of his mesh socks blew off and was lost. I don't have that problem with the cotton rod socks once tied on securely it stays put.

Storage of cotton socks is easier too. And I can use them for a rag on the boat if need be and toss them into the wash with my clothes when I get home.

Here are a couple of links to see them. Dirt cheap! Under $2.00 each with free shipping included:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cotton-Cloth-Breathable-Fishing-Rod-Protector-Sleeve-Sock-Cover-Bag-Black-/292045735272?hash=item43ff484568:g:bH4AAOSwOgdYu220

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Colors-Cotton-Cloth-Fishing-Rod-Sleeve-Pole-Sock-Protector-Case-Pole-Bag-Pouch-/222336013135?var=&hash=item33c442534f:m:mIfJdh5LTE0n7kAIdlCEpKQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cotton-Cloth-Fishing-Rod-Tip-Sleeve-Cover-Pole-Sock-Glove-Protective-Bag-Pouch-/322274912140?var=&hash=item4b0914e78c:m:mKxtKaBAnes_Vv1k6Pk2Dyw

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteveTX

I use the standard Rod Glove sleeve. They are not to expensive and go on as well as come off fast and easy. One thing I really like is the way the end is finished. It is sort of pointed with nothing to hang on as it slides beside each other. It makes sliding the rods in or taking them out very easy. The ones that they fold over the end or use some plastic fixture hang up on me pretty regularly when trying to remove a rod from my locker. This was the main reason I went to the Rod Glove brand.

I only have a few micro guide rods and yes these do not do extremely well but I think they have a model just for micro guides. Mine seem to stay in the sleeve currently pretty good but I have noticed that once and a while one will poke through. I will probably end up getting some of them in the micro version.

gshappell

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 11, 2017, 05:57:51 PM
I use the all cotton rod sleeves. They are very cheap, but I had to switch over to them because that standard mesh was useless on my rods since most of the rods I use have micro guides on them and they easily poke through the mesh and are exposed unprotected, and when the micro guide pokes through the mesh type, it is difficult to take it off. I have to adjust the mesh sock to get all the exposed guides back inside of it so I can remove it and it can be a real pain.

This problem with the micro guides applies equally to both baitcast and spinning rods that I have with micro guides. The plastic mesh simply does not do a good enough job. But they work fine for rods with larger guides that can not protrude through the mesh exposing them.

Another reason I now use the all cotton solid fabric rod socks is because they have tie straps.

Recently I went fishing with a buddy and we both put our rods in the boat we are towing. One of his mesh socks blew off and was lost. I don't have that problem with the cotton rod socks once tied on securely it stays put.

Storage of cotton socks is easier too. And I can use them for a rag on the boat if need be and toss them into the wash with my clothes when I get home.

Here are a couple of links to see them. Dirt cheap! Under $2.00 each with free shipping included:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cotton-Cloth-Breathable-Fishing-Rod-Protector-Sleeve-Sock-Cover-Bag-Black-/292045735272?hash=item43ff484568:g:bH4AAOSwOgdYu220

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Colors-Cotton-Cloth-Fishing-Rod-Sleeve-Pole-Sock-Protector-Case-Pole-Bag-Pouch-/222336013135?var=&hash=item33c442534f:m:mIfJdh5LTE0n7kAIdlCEpKQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cotton-Cloth-Fishing-Rod-Tip-Sleeve-Cover-Pole-Sock-Glove-Protective-Bag-Pouch-/322274912140?var=&hash=item4b0914e78c:m:mKxtKaBAnes_Vv1k6Pk2Dyw

Thanks for posting these...did not even know these existed.  While mine have worked fine, the micro guides do pop through sometimes so im going to give these a shot as well and see how I like them.

Marty-WI

Thanks for the replies. I have a G Loomis crankbait rod that had a guide pop thru the cabelas nylon sleeve on the first trip.  I like the sleeve because it's slim, but not sure if that was normal. I just bought a Dobyns Champion 734 and the Rep uses rod gloves. I should have asked, but I didn't.  So my casting rod arsenal is (1) 7' Loomis Crankbait, (1) 7' St Croix Mojo, and (1) Dobyns 734. I have (2) 7' spinning rods and (1) 6'. If I go rod glove, which ones do I get for the casting rods (both size and model) and I assume the 7' regular version for the spinning rods? 

Smallie_Stalker

Just so as not to confuse anyone the Pro Series Rod Gloves are not the mesh style ones. They are a solid neoprene sleeve. Guides can not pop through since there are no openings in the material other than where you insert the rod. They also offer a decent amount of padding for the blank.

That's my $.02

gshappell

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 12, 2017, 03:49:19 PM
Just so as not to confuse anyone the Pro Series Rod Gloves are not the mesh style ones. They are a solid neoprene sleeve. Guides can not pop through since there are no openings in the material other than where you insert the rod. They also offer a decent amount of padding for the blank.

That's my $.02

Thanks! Im gonna try those out if I dont like the the cotton chinese joints.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: gshappell on June 12, 2017, 03:54:13 PM
Thanks! Im gonna try those out if I dont like the the cotton chinese joints.

I would try the neoprene rod socks too, but the ones I looked at did not have any tie on straps and the price per piece was like $12 to $14 plus.

I have not used them, but it seems to me the neoprene might offer greater rod protection that the cotton can, but as yet I have not had any problems with the cotton rod socks. And the price helps. I can cover 6 or 7 rods for the price of one neoprene rod sock.

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate!  ~shade
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

Marty-WI

I ordered 2 Rod Glove Pro's and 2 regular for spinning rods.   Will report when they arrive.

West6550

I tried the rod sock style mesh ones. I honestly find it hard to believe anyone uses them. Guides get hung on the and they don't do jack lol.

I won a Angler Innovations rod jacket on here several years ago. They are $20 but are neoprene and cover the reel as well. So only one item to carry. They are thick as well.

I love them and the one I have I have had probably 5 years or so... looks brand new. They are available on tacklewarehouse.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: West6550 on June 12, 2017, 09:54:29 PM
I tried the rod sock style mesh ones. I honestly find it hard to believe anyone uses them. Guides get hung on the and they don't do jack lol.

I won a Angler Innovations rod jacket on here several years ago. They are $20 but are neoprene and cover the reel as well. So only one item to carry. They are thick as well.

I love them and the one I have I have had probably 5 years or so... looks brand new. They are available on tacklewarehouse.

I remember those. Do they work if you have a lure tied on?

SteveTX

I agree if your rods are susceptible to being stricken harder than a bump like from another rod I agree this mesh style is not "the best" for collision type of protection.  8)

However I disagree that they don't do jack.

• These do provide some protection from scratches and light bumps. It completely solved the potential scratching issue in my rod locker they slide in and out with ease thanks to the slick mesh.
  • They also do a great job protecting my rods from my not so fancy rod locker. It has a lip about 1/2 way down that inevitably the eyes of my rods love to catch on even when I was fully aware it seemed one would catch as I tried to ease my rods in or out. These cured that instantly.
  • I also use the color coding on my rods. I use solid black for my standard casting rods, Gun Metal color on all my Moderate action rods (rods used for treble hooks), and solid blue for my spinning rods.   
So they do have a great use just not maybe as much as some may want or need. If I traveled long distances or hauled my rods in a vehicle etc. I would possibly want the more padded ones.

Full on padded rod sleeve for me would probably be a nuisance for me having to deal with the bulkier padded ones. I don't travel far, and my rod locker, and boat, are not that big. So keeping things slim and minimal is a bonus.

I do need to get the proper Micro Rod Glove for my 2 micro guide rods but other than that I haven't had any issues with standard eyes coming through them.  :(

West6550

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 13, 2017, 03:04:06 PM
I remember those. Do they work if you have a lure tied on?
Yep and there is a spot built in for the line to run through so the sit straight.

West6550

Quote from: SteveTX on June 13, 2017, 08:31:54 PM
However I disagree that they don't do jack.

That is the sweet thing about our world we can disagree. I have mesh ones and my standard eyes did go through them. The color cordination does make it nice. But untangling the rod guides was a pain. I simply put my same rods in the same spot in the locker everytime. Also the one neoprene one that covers the rod and reel is easier to roll up, the mesh ones spring out of being coiled and you don't have to carry a reel cover as well like the mesh ones.

Bass 24 7

Been using the Cabela's brand sleeve, they are over 20 yrs old, think they were 3.00 back then, they still work great, rods and tips/eyes all in great shape, some of my rods/reels are 30yrs old (or more) no need to change to anything else for me.

Bigwrench

This is what I use also. Although I have several other types and brands, if I were to buy some more these are what I will use also. 
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

cport

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 12, 2017, 06:22:19 PM
I would try the neoprene rod socks too, but the ones I looked at did not have any tie on straps and the price per piece was like $12 to $14 plus.

I have not used them, but it seems to me the neoprene might offer greater rod protection that the cotton can, but as yet I have not had any problems with the cotton rod socks. And the price helps. I can cover 6 or 7 rods for the price of one neoprene rod sock.

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate!  ~shade
Do the cotton ones stretch? All the links that you posted, the description said length is 49 inches.
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: West6550 on June 13, 2017, 09:41:40 PM
Yep and there is a spot built in for the line to run through so the sit straight.

Thanks bud. Gonna look into some of these down the road.