Braid feels gritty

Started by rman, June 11, 2017, 06:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rman

Ok, being new to fishing, I'm... well I don't know things.

I have been using Trilene XT on all my rods and reels, and it's been working just fine.

Recently threw on some 50lb SpiderWire braid on my Abu Revo SX and Berkeley Lightning Rod Shock. I'm able to get it out there now with little-to-no backlash, but my main concern is the grittiness. I feel like it's sawing my tip apart or like theres dirt packed in my reel.

Is this just inherent of braid? Too heavy of a test weight?

Fishing today with a ton of wind, I loved being able to rip my lures out of bushes and trees on the banks. I swear sometimes I'd cast and before hitting the water the wind would come out of left field and carry it 20' lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rman

by the way, I know the lightning rod shock is a cheaper rod (more than the cherrywood I upgraded from), but for me it's awesome. I love the sensitivity, especially not knowing any better.

rman

nevermind. googled it, seems normal.

admin feel free to delete...

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: rman on June 11, 2017, 06:52:36 PM
by the way, I know the lightning rod shock is a cheaper rod (more than the cherrywood I upgraded from), but for me it's awesome. I love the sensitivity.

I agree with you. I still have 4 of them but i don't use them any more- saving them for my boys when they get older. But I loved them when I used them too! A good rod for the price.

And don't worry too much about the braid cutting guides. Today's ceramics are much improved and can handle it. But if you have stainless steel guides it might eventually be a problem, but fish on!

But I am curious why you would use such a heavy line??? I have only one reel with 50 on it for frogging and other top water I toss into heavy cover, but for everything else, both baitcast and spinning I use lighter line ratings like 20 on my baitcast reels and 10 to 12 on spinning reels. I don't lose fish so I personally don't see any need for such heavy line across the board, only specific purposes...
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

rman

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on June 11, 2017, 08:03:57 PM
I agree with you. I still have 4 of them but i don't use them any more- saving them for my boys when they get older. But I loved them when I used them too! A good rod for the price.

And don't worry too much about the braid cutting guides. Today's ceramics are much improved and can handle it. But if you have stainless steel guides it might eventually be a problem, but fish on!

But I am curious why you would use such a heavy line??? I have only one reel with 50 on it for frogging and other top water I toss into heavy cover, but for everything else, both baitcast and spinning I use lighter line ratings like 20 on my baitcast reels and 10 to 12 on spinning reels. I don't lose fish so I personally don't see any need for such heavy line across the board, only specific purposes...

i mainly went with 50lb because i don't know any better. It said 12lb diameter, so i figured why not.

I may change it out to 15lb or 20lb, but for right now it seems to do fine. I do feel like I need to run it out and wind it tighter.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: rman on June 11, 2017, 08:18:01 PM
I do feel like I need to run it out and wind it tighter.

Yep! This is why I almost never have any line dig issues. I keep the line on the spools tightly packed and it flows out nicely with each cast.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

fishandkamp

SpiderWire will feel like that , others do not. That is in no way an insult so do not take it that way. I use mostly Berkley FireLine on my spinning gear because it fishes so nicely in that role.  I fish some SpiderWire, some Suffix 832 and some Power Pro, all for different applications. 

As for the Lightning Shock Rod have no fear the guides they use were specifically chosen to be used with braid.  I would recommend using one of two line conditioners which should help.

First do a google search for the following:  "It aint tv.com" That is the website for Wilson Frazier. He is a cool dude, used to be involved with B.A.S.S. and Lowrance Electronics. He is known as "the professor" to most of the professional anglers on the circuits.  He has taught many of them how to interpret and apply what their  electronics is telling them.  He also sells a few specialized products. I use his boat cleaner/wax called Shazzam, his electronics cleaner called Krystal Vision and his line conditioner called Braid Aid.
Check out his video on applying the Braid Aid.  https://youtu.be/kq9BhaLt3Ns

I fish a lot of very expensive rods, but also several Lightning Shock rods. They fish very well for their price.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rman on June 11, 2017, 08:18:01 PM

i mainly went with 50lb because i don't know any better. It said 12lb diameter, so i figured why not.

I may change it out to 15lb or 20lb, but for right now it seems to do fine. I do feel like I need to run it out and wind it tighter.

You're fine with the 50#. You actually had the good idea of going with it for baitcasters. I personally don't go below 30#, and at that the 30# is for when I'm tossing really light baits. Braid had no abrasion resistance, so if you go really thin you taking that much more of a chance of the line getting broke. 40# is probably the best overall test for braid on a baitcaster. With braid, it's not soo much the breaking strength as it is the ability to saw through vegetation and zero stretch characteristics.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

The lowest I go is usually 40 on braid. Well now I have 40 max cuatro which is like 30 regular power pro. But haven't had any line digging issues with it or anything so I've found it to be an excellent line.

Your shock rods should be fine for the braided line too
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

bigjim5589

It took me awhile to get used to the feel of braid when I started using it, certainly is different than that of mono type lines.

I use both 50 & 65 lb braid for frogs & jigs, and as LgMouthGambler said, it cuts thru the vegetation real good. I first started using them to deal with Spadderdock pads in the tidal rivers when I lived in MD.

The lightest braid I've tried has been 15 lb on spinning gear, and that was fine, but not sure it would be good on my baitcasters. I think it might dig in too much & cause casting issues.

As has been said, braid has to be kept tight on the spool, or you'll get the digging in & back lash problems.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

No Excuses

I have used many different sizes of power pro and never had any complaints.