Best hi-visibility mono

Started by Richf7, June 13, 2017, 03:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richf7

I don't see as well as I once did and want to try using a higher visibility line than clear mono to make it easier to tie knots. Stren hi-visibility gold looks great but I wonder if it will spook the fish. I usually bank fish with plastic worms. Thanks in advance.

Lee Smith

Get some yellow braid, can see for a mile and can tie anything too it.
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

FISH520

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 13, 2017, 03:33:10 PM
Do you use a leader?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Lee Smith

Quote from: FISH520 on June 13, 2017, 03:37:18 PM
Do you use a leader?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Naw, hell I fish in the south, we don't know how to tie them thangs on  lo

I use the yellow for my 'finesse' rig T-rigged worms with light weights, 30# yellow high vis, plenty of bites, no problems, never been an issue, even in clean water

Smallie_Stalker

Hey Rich. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable.

I have the same problem. I went to high-Visibility braid some years ago and that's about all I use these days. Stopped using leaders a while back too. I fish some of the clearest water on the planet and I don't believe it has ever affected my catch rates. 

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Princeton_Man

It's been discussed here in the past. I really don't think fish can see the line.  I just started using 10lb PowerPoint braid on my lightest spinning rig for wacky and finesse plastic. I get just as many on it as I did with the 8lb fluorocarbon.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

j102

I don't use a leader for Freshwater fishing, but still use it for Saltwater. I'm still testing that theory for Saltwater fishing.

SFL BassHunter

KastKing has a line called Masters they have several colors. They have one called Hazard Yellow. You could give that a try. It's supposed to be their "Professional Grade Mono"

I actually bought some over the weekend on amazon. Spool is under 9 dollars. I haven't put it on any reels yet. But it is bright like yellow braid.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Terry G

I use a black "Sharpie" on the last 18 in. of yellow braid

j102

Yellow braid should do it.

j102

Quote from: Terry G on June 14, 2017, 08:41:43 AM
I use a black "Sharpie" on the last 18 in. of yellow braid

Hi Terry,
What is the purpose of doing that?

Terry G

I can't see it when its in the water so I think the fish won't either after reading other posts it may be a waste of time

SFL BassHunter

Terry I watched a video on youtube where a diver did a test with different lines.

The lines that performed best in most cases were clear lines, as far as being invisible underwater.
BUT they did a test trolling a lure with high vis lines like pink and yellow and while looking UP those lines were invisible. Because of sunlight and no real background, like you would have with the bottom of the lake or ocean the high vis couldn't be seen.

Theoretically you might actually be making your line visible when looking up by using the sharpie. Assuming you are using this for topwater.

But who the heck knows lol. If it works for you and you catch fish and have confidence in it, why fix something that ain't broke.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

bigjim5589

Like Lee, I use hi vis braids in neon yellow & neon red, and tie direct. I like them because they're easy to see, and have also used the low vis green lines & can't say I see any difference in my catch rate. Maybe, I even do a bit better with the hi vis lines because I can detect bites better. Can't say I'm missing anything because of a worry about fish seeing the line either. Bass bite the jigs I'm tossing or anything else for which I've used the hi vis braids. Same goes for Striped Bass fishing also!  ~shade

All this discussion & concern about fish seeing the line assumes the fish will have a negative reaction to it. I've seen them bolt because of a fly line slapping the water, or even because of the shadow a fly line can make in shallow water, both being different scenarios, but have yet to observe any fish near my hi vis braided line that seemed concerned over it. The line is just another "thing" to them, like a twig or vegetation that is normal in their environment. Since the line moves, I'll bet they can sense the vibrations with their lateral line, but again they can likely do that with most anything that creates any vibration or moves water & various things that they may see all the time probably does that. I'm sure they learn the difference between a threat & what's normally going on around them. Chances are the lure that's attached to the line is going to be the focus of their attention since it's going to be putting off a different type of vibration, and should be pushing more water than the line. If you really think about this logically, even bass will swim into a gill net, something they can likely easily see, and that's a lot larger than our fishing lines. Again, unless they perceive it to be a threat, they're not going to react negatively to the color of a line we use to fish with. It's entirely possible, some individual fish, after being caught multiple times might associate a line, or it's color to something bad, but even that is stretching the "what if" pretty far. IF, I spent all my time worrying about such things, I'd give up fishing, and that's not something I'm willing to do. If one bass won't bite my jig because it's learned that line is bad, I'm OK with it, there's plenty of other fish that can still be caught using my hi vis line!  ;)

BTW, in the past I've used both Stren & Spiderwire mono type lines in hi vis yellow colors & both were fine. IMO, the Stren stretches a bit more, but that's a different topic!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

coldfront

Quote from: Richf7 on June 13, 2017, 03:28:16 PM
I don't see as well as I once did and want to try using a higher visibility line than clear mono to make it easier to tie knots. Stren hi-visibility gold looks great but I wonder if it will spook the fish. I usually bank fish with plastic worms. Thanks in advance.

couple of options
1.  get heavier mono, it's easier to see!
2.  if  you aren't comfortable with the neon colored stuff, the clear blue fluorescent can work.  in sunlight you can see it, in low light (cloudy, rainy) the light is low enough that the UV rays cause the line to fluoresce... 
3.  get and wear glasses...

I know, I know, it sux getting old guy eyesight.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: coldfront on June 14, 2017, 02:04:42 PM

3.  get and wear glasses...

I know, I know, it sux getting old guy eyesight.

Got em. Wear em. Still need to use the  ~xyz Hi-Vis line. You sure are right about the old guy eyesight.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lee Smith

To me, it's kinda like the tail end of a knot, if that 40' on the other end of the lure don't bother them, why would that 1/4" at the lure?  lo  I've seen guys trim trim trim, hell, I leave it a hangin'  ;)

j102

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 14, 2017, 04:12:52 PM
To me, it's kinda like the tail end of a knot, if that 40' on the other end of the lure don't bother them, why would that 1/4" at the lure?  lo  I've seen guys trim trim trim, hell, I leave it a hangin'  ;)

l'm one of those guys that trim the knot end. LOL.
You are right, it should not matter. I need to learn to leave it alone.

coldfront

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on June 14, 2017, 03:57:16 PM
Got em. Wear em. Still need to use the  ~xyz Hi-Vis line. You sure are right about the old guy eyesight.

man, used to be able to read road signs a mile out.  now can't read them more than 50 yards away.

it's the 'over 50 eyesight' ... never could have imagined.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Lee Smith on June 14, 2017, 04:12:52 PM

I'm with you on that. I used to trim the end but as I've fished more, I have just started leaving it longer to give me some extra buffer in case of some slipping. That small piece of line ain't gonna make a difference.
Florida Bass Fishing

Tavery5

Not truly a mono line but has a lot of the same properties and some that may make it better is P-Line CX.  It comes in a fluorescent purple that really picks up the sunlight and makes it very easy to see.

Very manageable line if you stay 12lb test or under, I find that in my use KVD line conditioner helps with keeping the line useable.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Tavery5 on June 15, 2017, 12:14:33 PM
Not truly a mono line but has a lot of the same properties and some that may make it better is P-Line CX.  It comes in a fluorescent purple that really picks up the sunlight and makes it very easy to see.

Very manageable line if you stay 12lb test or under, I find that in my use KVD line conditioner helps with keeping the line useable.

Tavery, just curious because I've not found the answer to this on their site or any sites that sell it. Does it float like mono or sink like fluoro?
Florida Bass Fishing

Tavery5

Sorry, I don't know.  I feel like I should because I have used several spool of it but for the life of me I can not give you an honest answer.

merc1997

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 14, 2017, 12:53:58 PM
Like Lee, I use hi vis braids in neon yellow & neon red, and tie direct. I like them because they're easy to see, and have also used the low vis green lines & can't say I see any difference in my catch rate. Maybe, I even do a bit better with the hi vis lines because I can detect bites better. Can't say I'm missing anything because of a worry about fish seeing the line either. Bass bite the jigs I'm tossing or anything else for which I've used the hi vis braids. Same goes for Striped Bass fishing also!  ~shade

All this discussion & concern about fish seeing the line assumes the fish will have a negative reaction to it. I've seen them bolt because of a fly line slapping the water, or even because of the shadow a fly line can make in shallow water, both being different scenarios, but have yet to observe any fish near my hi vis braided line that seemed concerned over it. The line is just another "thing" to them, like a twig or vegetation that is normal in their environment. Since the line moves, I'll bet they can sense the vibrations with their lateral line, but again they can likely do that with most anything that creates any vibration or moves water & various things that they may see all the time probably does that. I'm sure they learn the difference between a threat & what's normally going on around them. Chances are the lure that's attached to the line is going to be the focus of their attention since it's going to be putting off a different type of vibration, and should be pushing more water than the line. If you really think about this logically, even bass will swim into a gill net, something they can likely easily see, and that's a lot larger than our fishing lines. Again, unless they perceive it to be a threat, they're not going to react negatively to the color of a line we use to fish with. It's entirely possible, some individual fish, after being caught multiple times might associate a line, or it's color to something bad, but even that is stretching the "what if" pretty far. IF, I spent all my time worrying about such things, I'd give up fishing, and that's not something I'm willing to do. If one bass won't bite my jig because it's learned that line is bad, I'm OK with it, there's plenty of other fish that can still be caught using my hi vis line!  ;)

BTW, in the past I've used both Stren & Spiderwire mono type lines in hi vis yellow colors & both were fine. IMO, the Stren stretches a bit more, but that's a different topic!  :)
jim, well stated, and i just wanted to add something.  if a fish can reason that line is a threat, they can see the hook or hooks on a lure, and that is actually what is causing them the harm.  so, if a fish can reason, they why would they ever bite anything with a hook again???  i am with you bigjim.  i use fluorescent line day or night and in clear water.  i believe there are lots of bites missed from not being able to see the line.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

SFL BassHunter

I spooled my Kastking Masters Hazard Yellow on the Daiwa Aird Coastal which is the reel I use for Spinnerbaits/Cranks/Topwaters and took it out to the park to fish a big pad field. I wanted to put the line to the test in some fairly thick cover.

I have to say that so far, very impressed with it. Only caught one fish on it, but it was a far cast and was able to get the fish through thick pads without an issue. I also got hung several times on pads and was able to rip free without the line snapping on me.
The line feels supple, and I didn't have to break my back on the hookset, which tells me it doesn't have a ridiculous amount of stretch. So far so good. 300yrd spool for less than 9 bucks.
Florida Bass Fishing