Motor Leaking Water???

Started by Thornback, June 15, 2017, 03:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thornback

I'm running a 2005 Merc 4-stroke 60 HP with EFI. Great motor and I love it. Last time I went fishing was a week ago. Well I was out in the garage getting ready to go fishing in the morning when I see a puddle of water under the motor. The puddle is about 12" across and as I was looking at the puddle a drop dripped from the motor into the puddle. The water is clear with no sign of oil or gas. The motor has been in the same position for a week -- resting on the transom saver. I have never seen the motor drip water after a week in the 12 years I have owned it. Usually by the time I arrive home the water has stopped dripping. I'm puzzled as to why water is still dripping from the motor after a week? Should I be concerned?

Mike Cork

I'm not sure what to think on this one. Most boats it would be normal. But since your history says different?

Maybe a thermostat wasn't fully open when you pulled it out and it's been slowly draining?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Thornback

Thanks for a theory, Mike. Next time out I hope the thermostat works as designed and the motor doesn't heat up. I have a temp alarm but no temp gauge. Last time out every time I started the motor the pee stream was strong. If it runs normal tomorrow then after parking I'll watch it over the next several days to see if the slow drip continues.

Mike Cork

Sounds like everything is normal, I'd just keep an eye on things

Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Water trapped in the prop hub? Mine does that sometimes.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Princeton_Man

Warmer days, heat causes expansion, etc. Is your speedo line connected to the pick-up on the motor and if it is, is it working? Just a guess but if the pick-up is plugged, the water may have seeped out with help from warmer temps. Another idea is a loose pick-up line or a leak developing in it closer to the console, allowing the water in the pick-up line to drain out.  :-*
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

After what Princeton_man said, a speedo of water pressure guage tubing leak under the cowling could put water in the mid section tray that would weep out over time.

I wouldn't sweat it if everything is normal. After your next trip pull the cowl and look for possible tubing leaks.

Cork's Reel Service

Thornback

Took the boat out Friday morning and this is Sunday morning and so far no water dripping from the motor onto the garage floor. I guess all is well that ends well. Thanks again to all the anglers who replied to my post.

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club