Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choice for crankbait rod  (Read 829 times)

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Choice for crankbait rod
« on: June 17, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »

Hi all, let my 70 G. Loomis E6x "843 C CBR", Medium Power,  Moderate-Fast Action with Shimano Curato 200PG 5.5:1 rig drop to bottom of lake. Spent hour trying to scrap bottom and hook, next day tried again no luck.

So now I need a new Rod and was looking at the Dobyns DC 765CB or DC 804 CB? I like the idea of an 8' rod so I really can get bait out there so it stays in zone longer, my waters aren't particularly deep but I just got my first kayak so I may find some eventually. Right now I throw mostly shallow and med diving cranks. I do like med power, moder-fast action.

The DC 804 CB RM Signature is rated 3/8 - 1 1/2 oz, would this be better option? Are they even avail, I cannot locate.

Any ideas of best Dobyns rod for me?

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Chicago Illinois
Re: Choice for crankbait rod
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »

How deep was the water there and or there any  ~gator or snakes there.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »

Short story was this was my first time fishing out of a kayak I bought the day prior, never fished from kayak before.   I had no idea of lake depth as I never fished it before and didn't have depth finder. Since I was new in kayak I didn't want to jump in after it and risk tipping and losing all or more gear.

Next day I took out Deeper fish finder and discovered only 8' deep in area lost. 

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »

You'll have to talk with some other Yak'rs but I'd be concerned that an eight foot rod with a larger bait would be difficult to cast from a kayak. I'm thinking that the bait would load the rod on the cast and hit the water behind you. I could be WAY off on this but just thinking about the mechanics.

Right now I throw mostly shallow and med diving cranks. I do like med power, moder-fast action.

Should an Eight foot rod be viable, I think the DC 804 CB would be a great choice because of the shallow to medium diving cranks. The 805 might be a little to much rod for smaller shallow running cranks. Now if a shallow crank is more like a 2.5 squarebill the 805 will be fine. But if a smaller crank is like a Bandit 100 I think the 804 would be better.

Now to what I use. I have a couple DC 735 CB Glass rods that are Do-It All treble hook bait machines. Small baits all the way to an XD6 are easy to cast and retrieve. With a well serviced reel I can almost spool all the line off on a long cast. I use this rod for small pop r's to lipless crankbaits as well (not the best for ripping rattle traps from heavy grass but with braided line it works).

Give this post a couple days and others will jump in with idea :-*

Lastly, you can always call the Dobyn's Shop, they love to talk fishing and will ask you a few questions about you specific needs and fishing conditions and dial you in to the perfect rod. Just ask for Gary or Richard. (530) 671-1989
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »

Thanks Mike,  interesting take on the rod size,  if any kayakers want to weigh-in on size I would be eager to hear what they say. I can stand in kayak but would also like to sit and cast.

I am undecided on glass rods mainly due to weight, I think they are heavier than graphite, I like less weight.

Most all my crankbaits are in the 1/4 to 3/4 with a couple smaller or 7/8's.

Gary Dobyns

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »

68camaro....now that was a STUD car!!!!!!  We have good following with Kayak anglers. Most seem to favor 7' rods. But, that doesn't mean an 8 footer won't work for you. I have zero kayak experience (I'd be in the water all day :) )  The 804 CB handles shallow to med divers well. I do believe the 764 CB is all around better rod. I simply love the 764 CB. The 804 CB has a great following I simply don't use it myself.  Also, our glass rods are a little heavier but not much. I also hate heavy glass rods. Feel free to give us a call anytime at the shop too!! 530-671-1989 THX!!

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

Thanks Gary, the 68 is a red on red RS convertible with white Z-28 stripes - It's 50 years old in mid-November this year ~c~, for fathers day activity the family is going to wash and wax it with me then go for cruise ;D

I already have a 634 CB (Jerkbaits) and 684 CB (Topwaters) that I absolutely love, along with a 735C (hollow body frogs).  It sounds like the 764CB will be added to the family:)

j102

• Lunker
Choice for crankbait rod
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:51:39 AM »

Why not get another 684CB or similar size 7 feet rod? To stay close to the 7 feet mark.
I would like to hear what other Kayakers have to say. I don't have a Kayak, but fear such a long rod would be uncomfortable casting sitting down.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »

68camero we have a board for Kayak anglers and a question like this might get a better response there. All the Kayak guys watch that board pretty close.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?board=539.0
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »

Why not get another 684CB or similar size 7 feet rod? To stay close to the 7 feet mark.
I would like to hear what other Kayakers have to say. I don't have a Kayak, but fear such a long rod would be uncomfortable casting sitting down.

My main goal is to get long casts. I just ordered the 764 CB RM, I can stand in my kayak so I think the 804 would have been fine, but for times sitting I went with 764 to give a little more clearance.

j102

• Lunker
Choice for crankbait rod
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »

Sounds good. Congrats! Let us know how you like it and how well does it work once you get it.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:21:09 AM by j102 »

cortman

• Charter Member
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:29 PM »

My main goal is to get long casts. I just ordered the 764 CB RM, I can stand in my kayak so I think the 804 would have been fine, but for times sitting I went with 764 to give a little more clearance.

That sounds like a good compromise. My main fishing buddy just got an XP 764 for jigs and t-rigs and he really loves that length.

Gary Dobyns

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 04:13:11 PM »

Great news. The 764 CB is a personal favorite and I believe once you catch a few fish on it you'll be hooked too. Please let me know you're thoughts...good or bad!! THX!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.