DIY Spool for Tatula Type R

Started by SFL BassHunter, June 20, 2017, 04:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on July 10, 2017, 01:53:03 PM
I have some small 1/8 spinnerbait from bomber that I can only throw with my spinning reel.

Also if possible some 1/16th roostertails. Not necessary but if I can just take my baitcaster as my do all setup. It will make carrying gear for quick after work trips much easier

I feel I take up a lot of time setting up and managing multiple setups whereas I would like to just take my baitcaster and travel rod and swap out spools as I need to.

Looking at getting the hedgehog bearings too btw and the long cast diy spool

I can't really tell you how those would do on the reel or spool. Have you tried them on the stock spool? What is your result?
I throw 1/16oz bullet weight with a finesse worm a decent distance.
I also use 1/8oz bullet weights for my uvibes and those go a long way.

But that's different than a spinnerbait that isn't aerodynamic.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Oh lol I haven't even tried it yet on my tatula

I did on my black Max with 8# copoly and it went nowhere..maybe 10 feet on the cast lol

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on July 10, 2017, 02:23:02 PM
Oh lol I haven't even tried it yet on my tatula

I did on my black Max with 8# copoly and it went nowhere..maybe 10 feet on the cast lol

Well that's embarrassing lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Going to hit up a local pond to test out my tatula as is

I'll even try to dropshot with it

Haven't installed casting bearings yet so we shall see

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on July 10, 2017, 04:41:17 PM
Going to hit up a local pond to test out my tatula as is

I'll even try to dropshot with it

Haven't installed casting bearings yet so we shall see

I threw a weightless uvibe today on the Tatula CT Long Cast DIY Spool. Not sure what one of them weighs but they aren't heavy. I was able to cast it roughly 86 feet which is about 29 yards. That was with brakes set to 10. 

My 1/2oz spinnerbait was nearly unspooling the entire spool.

I was using a Cabela's arachnid rod which is rated MH F, and up to 5/8oz
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Hmm i didn't have as much success as you, I got 30 feet tops at brakes set to 12. Any lighter I would backlash

Threw on medium fast daiwa ardito

I think it was my line though, 12 lb copoly. Had kvd line conditioner but still lots of memory.

Switching to a light braid to see if that works.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: DinksAllDay on July 11, 2017, 12:25:00 PM
Hmm i didn't have as much success as you, I got 30 feet tops at brakes set to 12. Any lighter I would backlash

Threw on medium fast daiwa ardito

I think it was my line though, 12 lb copoly. Had kvd line conditioner but still lots of memory.

Switching to a light braid to see if that works.

I was throwing 20lb senshi mono which is diameter of 12lb mono
Florida Bass Fishing

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: rickdelprado on July 05, 2017, 08:34:35 AM
So I'd like to update this after using the spool for about 3 hours yesterday.

I really liked the long cast DIY spool. Unlike the microcast spool this one is easier to control. The thing actually casts better than the stock Type R spool. It was bombing the 1oz 110 whopper plopper nearly unspooling entirely with mono. So I had to be careful.
Then I went lighter, and tied on a 1/8oz bullet weight with a uvibe and this thing launched it effortlessly.
Wasn't getting any bites so I downsized some more. Went to a 1/16oz and a uvibe and was casting just as far as I was with the 1/8.
Then I tried the 1/16 with a finesse worm and again like a bullet.

Went to a fluke with a 1/32 oz weight and had no issue casting that, then a weightless fluke and still no issue casting that. I was getting about the same if not more distance out of this than I would have out of my spinning outfit.
The other thing is I had the brakes set to 10 which is higher than I normally would set them to and I had my spool tension tighter than usual too. When I put them down to 8 I needed to feather the spool a little more but got even more distance.
I'm sure that with some more fine tuning of the tension and brakes I can get even more distance out of it while still maintaining control of the spool.

I also cast into the wind for a while and it performed very well though wind wasn't too bad.

Very impressed with this spool.
I had a couple of overruns but they weren't bad when I cast without using the thumb just to see how it would work. Usually it worked itself out and caught up with itself.
Very light thumbing really worked well.

Nice report.  Thank you.  I'm always looking to make my casting easier and casts longer.  This spool sounds like a winner.

SFL BassHunter

So far for me it is. Both on the CT and the Regular Tat Type R.
The DIY Long Cast does what it says.
Florida Bass Fishing

DinksAllDay

Just a quick update

My hlc long cast spool came in for my tat ct...spooled with 12 lb copoly.

It is definitely lighter and once dialed in settings (I have to use a higher brake setting for this spool- like 12+ to maintain control)

boy it is fun to bomb lol and most importantly easy to cast.

Caught a few on it, the biggest weighed 2.6 pounds. And no issues so far.

I'm happy to say I can dropshot and throw little rapalas on it (estimating 25 yards) but I think I need a lighter rod in order get good distance on it

So I have 30lb braid on my stock spook and 12 lb copoly on my hlc spool. I think this can work to cover most of my needs, swapping out whatever spool as needed.

Thanks to the guys who helped me out