New Spinning Rod - Need Input

Started by fishballer06, June 21, 2017, 12:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishballer06

I'm considering a new spinning rod for my Senko/Neko rig needs. I'm currently debating between the Shimano Expride, Tatula Elite ACS, and the IMX Pro rods for this. Does anyone have any experience with these lines? They're all around the same price range.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Kris

I can't comment on those rods because I have not used them.  I do have a Dobyns Fury FR703SF, 7', Medium, Fast Action that I use for Wacky Worm, Ned Rig and other small baits.  It's rated for 3/16-5/8 and does a great job.  I also have a Custom built, 6' 10", Medium, Fast, rated 1/4-3/8 that I use for finesse stuff.  The Fury is much less expensive but I think it is very comparable to my Custom built.  Good luck in your search.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Mike Cork

I used to use a lot of Shimano stuff years ago and was always happy with it. I would expect the high end Shimano like the Expride would be sensitive and light. I know a couple folks that are die hard Shimano fans and they like the expride line. I believe you can trust them, however I know they bounce around on they're warranty?

Tats and IMX are always good names too.

I don't have any experience with any of them though  :surrender: not in many years anyway. We have some pretty experienced Daiwa fans on the board and they should jump in soon.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

fishballer06

I got one of the 2017 Expride casting rods earlier this year and I love it so far. I got the 7'2" H model and it weighs in at 4.4oz! Shimano's warranty is 1 year full coverage, after that its 50% off retail, no questions asked. So that's why I'm considering the Expride.

I have two IMX casting rods and I know what to expect from them. They're about $50 more than the other two rods though, and I hate spending any more money than I have to on a spinning rod because I don't use them nearly as often as my casting gear.

The new Tatula Elite ACS hasn't been out long, but it looks like a quality stick. I'm hoping I can get an opinion from some guys who own one.

loomisguy

I do own a Tatula elite but mine is the casting model, non AGS. It's a quality stick and I've been happy with it.
I'm not sure AGS is worth the $100 upcharge since from my understanding they are built on the same blank. It is a cool guide train however.
  For me it would be between the Tat and the Shimano.
Or.... the Muse Black..

WataugaLaker

Depends on your budget, if you're wanting to spend around $100 I'd look into the Lews TP1 speed stick. High end blank and winn grips for that price is a good deal. If you want to spend more a higher end St Croix like an Avid or Legend would be a sweet worm rod.

fishballer06

The 3 rods I'm asking about are all in the $275-325 price range. So for those suggesting $100 rods, thank you for your input, but I have no interest in anything in that price range.

I've posted across a few different websites and I haven't heard much input at all about the Tatula AGS rods, so I'm going to narrow that one out, even though they do look like sweet sticks. So I guess I've narrowed it down to the Expride or the IMX Pro.

Mike Cork

Between those two I'd go Shimano personally. Especially since you have experience with them.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Tavery5

I know nothing about the rods you mentioned, so I will refrain from a suggestion about which is better.  My personal recommendation would be to look for a St. Croix Elite.  The new Elite rods are amazing, very light, extremely sensitive, they use great materials in the build and St. Croix is wonderful to work with in the event that you would ever have a problem. 

The Elite rods are very light and extremely sensitive.  The torzite guides with Titanium frames help keep weight down and increase the sensitivity over previous models.   In my hands these rods are almost as sensitive as the NRX series of rods for much less money.  I prefer the action of the St. Croix spinning rods above everything else I have fished.   If you are looking for a premium rod, with great build and components, that also has amazing support, this would be my choice.

fishballer06

Quote from: Mike Cork on June 26, 2017, 08:29:37 AM
Between those two I'd go Shimano personally. Especially since you have experience with them.
I own two IMX casting rods and I've been impressed with those as well. From what is advertised about the new 2017 IMX Pro rods, they're even better. Which is intriguing, but we all knows sometimes "new and improved" isn't always so.

Quote from: Tavery5 on June 26, 2017, 12:10:04 PM
My personal recommendation would be to look for a St. Croix Elite.  The new Elite rods are amazing, very light, extremely sensitive, they use great materials in the build and St. Croix is wonderful to work with in the event that you would ever have a problem. 

I own multiple Avid's and Legend Tournaments. Is the Elite a big step up over the LT's?

Tavery5

In my hands the difference between the Avid and LT's is noticeable, but not a enough that makes you go wow!  The NEW Elite makes me go WOW! It is a complete new design from previous models.  I own many St. Croix rods, the new Elite is the best of them all in my opinion.   

I do not think that the Elite tops the NRX is terms of sensitivity but in complete build and in action and power I find the Elite to be the better choice.  Cost is better also.

I will have a hard time purchasing another NRX, if I make any further high end purchases it will be the St. Croix as of right now.