Punching heavy moss

Started by dmccoyks, June 23, 2017, 08:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmccoyks

I fish a big pond that has a lot of thick moss on the banks and in the shallows that basically goes from the top all the way to the bottom. Last week I had a lot of success catching bass around this stuff and pulled nice a 4lber in when I happened to get my spinnerbait right into the thick of it.

I have always fished around or on the edge of this heavy moss because it is such a pain other then throwing a frog or working a worm over it. However, after last weeks success, I think I may need to fish right into this moss more.

I am a complete novice at punching, but have read and watched lots of videos to learn. I never thought punching would be a good technique since it is so thick from top to bottom. Most of what I read about punching is getting your bait through the vegetation, mat, etc then it is pretty clear underneath and that is where the fish are located.

Would punching be an effective method to get into this moss or what other techniques would you all recommend? I also just read the great article that Lee Smith wrote on "how to catch shallow bass in the summer" and will try to utilize his advise.

LgMouthGambler

You dont know till you try it. Get yo rig together and have at it.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

I'm curious what kind of moss this is. Is it slimy or is it more like a hydrilla?

There is a canal I've fished that has snot grass and lots of it. In 3-4 feet of water it covers top to bottom. I've fished it with a weedless senko because its slimy stuff. The bass are in this snot grass. Of course they come out to eat the senko but they are in the thick of it sometimes completely engulfed by this stuff. It's like they hide in it and it is perfect camo.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

dmccoyks

Yes, it is the nasty snot grass

Nutoy

What depth is the moss?
Bass use thick vegetation as ambush points. If the vegetation is super thick from top to bottom, they will most likely set up on the otter and inner edges(if there is a inner edge). Irregularities in the edge will be the high percentage spots.
Hydrilla tends to create a "mat" on the surface, and is more open towards the bottom. Bass use these openings as ambush points. You may not see the openings from the surface, but punching thru the mat will put your bait in there for ol big lips to grab a easy meal.

dmccoyks

Quote from: Nutoy on June 24, 2017, 10:23:13 AM
What depth is the moss?
Bass use thick vegetation as ambush points. If the vegetation is super thick from top to bottom, they will most likely set up on the otter and inner edges(if there is a inner edge). Irregularities in the edge will be the high percentage spots.
Hydrilla tends to create a "mat" on the surface, and is more open towards the bottom. Bass use these openings as ambush points. You may not see the openings from the surface, but punching thru the mat will put your bait in there for ol big lips to grab a easy meal.

Most of it is in approximate 1 - 5' of water. Yeah, I am going to try punching some the next time I go.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: dmccoyks on June 24, 2017, 09:59:37 AM
Yes, it is the nasty snot grass

I stay clear of that nasty stuff. Especially if you punch a thick mat of it. Your entire bait will be covered with 3lbs of that stuff. If you have other vegetation around like hydrilla, duckweed, or hycacinth, punch away. Snot grass.... I'm outta there.

kadas

Quote from: Bassinlou on June 24, 2017, 03:16:41 PM
I stay clear of that nasty stuff. Especially if you punch a thick mat of it. Your entire bait will be covered with 3lbs of that stuff. If you have other vegetation around like hydrilla, duckweed, or hycacinth, punch away. Snot grass.... I'm outta there.
I am with Lou on this--I generally do not punch the slimy snot grass. You will be bringing a huge ball of awful back in every time. To me it is not worth the aggravation.  I generally like the hydrilla or hyacinth. Also like the super thick lily pad fields in the summertime. Does not generally take a heavy weight like the other grass does so I guess it is not punching per say but other than a lighter weight it is about the same equipment wise