iPilot controller

Started by MattT, July 22, 2017, 09:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattT

My 13 yr old son and I fished a small tournament this Friday evening.     I have a minn Kota ipilot.   Which is not ideal imo for bass fishing. But that's not what the post is about.   

We launched the boat and ran the trolling motor prior to the time we could leave the dock area. It worked fine.   Our first stop after 25 min boat ride   Trolling motor and I pilot controller would not sync.  After troubleshooting (swapping batteries, driving back to cell coverage to google.  Disassemble checking for loose wires and more). So more than 2 hours into the tourney we decide to work with what we have.   

Got home. Did more research on youtube.    First video I pulled up. Said to.  Take battery out of handheld controller.  TURN IT UPSIDE DOWN put it back in. Put lid on for 20 secs.  Then take it out and put it in correctly.    aaaand it worked.     WTH.   Still can't wrap my head around that fix.   

We ended up catching 5 between 7:45 and 8:45. My son caught One over slot. Weighed in 3.1.  Didn't win. But we weighed in where many didn't.  Proud of my boy. Cause I was ready to throw in the towel and put boat back on the trailer. He said. Let's roll with it.     

Mike Cork

Must be some sort of reset? Instead of a button sequence, Minn Kota went with a battery flip?

Thanks for sharing the info, will definitely say someone else's day!

Good job sticking it out and catching an over, that can be tough to do in the summer  :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Yes, it sounds strange but works. The new I-Pilot on the Terrova and Ultrexx is great for bass fishing, they hold the boat very well. I have an older Terrova, the I-Pilot holds close enough in deep water. The Record a Track feature is great, record a track you are on and if you're catching fish hit it and the boat will follow the track letting you fish with out worrying about where the boat is, total focus, it'll follow the track both ways and the tracks are long enough to be very useful.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

MattT

Thanks Mike,

And old fart.  The ipilot has pros and cons. I take this boat to Florida and I would not want a foot control love the ipilot for this setting.  However back in Louisiana bass fishing in the shallow water or surrounded by trees. You set the hook and your hands are tied up. It can be problematic.  I let my son run the troll motor and he lost a big girl  earlier this month cause as he's fighting it.  I'm tellin him to turn the troll motor off cause we headed for a tree.    He lost the fish as he went to turn the remote off.   That fish coulda got off regardless.