Shimano Scorpion XT1000 meets Yumeya

Started by LgMouthGambler, July 07, 2017, 07:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LgMouthGambler

Got a 32mm Yumeya spool for the Scorpion to help with casting weightless T Rigs. Sucker is liiiiiiight!

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zippyduck

So you throw weightless plastics and have a problem with senkos. Huh?

Oh, sweeet looking reel, I want a scorpion someday.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zippyduck on July 07, 2017, 04:02:37 PM
So you throw weightless plastics and have a problem with senkos. Huh?

Oh, sweeet looking reel, I want a scorpion someday.
Senkos dont count as weightless plastics because they are damn heavy. Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Down4ttown

Favorite weightless is a trick worm. I imagine that would do quite well in the Florida grass LMG is used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 10, 2017, 08:10:19 AM
Favorite weightless is a trick worm. I imagine that would do quite well in the Florida grass LMG is used to.

~shade

Down4ttown

Let me know how that spool does for you. I recently got my old Curado 50e back out and cleaned up. Makes a hell of a topwater reel with the beefed up drag. Always interested in upgrades of good reels vs new.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 10, 2017, 08:13:56 AM
Let me know how that spool does for you. I recently got my old Curado 50e back out and cleaned up. Makes a hell of a topwater reel with the beefed up drag. Always interested in upgrades of good reels vs new.

New Shimanos are garbage, upgrade the 50E.  lo Honestly got this spool killer cheap off ebay thanks to Rockchalk. Now they are back up to 125-150

Down4ttown

What's the advantage of that spool? Does it require a brakes upgrade or change like sum?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 10, 2017, 08:26:19 AM
What's the advantage of that spool? Does it require a brakes upgrade or change like sum?

Advantage is less rotating mass to toss light baits. I use 30lb braid on this rig, so spool capacity is still really good. No need to mess with the brakes, just get it dialed like you would any other VBS system. You can toy with different brake tabs to get the right tabs for the job. I am using the JDM clear tabs myself to start. I havent even tossed it yet.

Down4ttown

Sweet. Excited to see how it does for you.

rockchalk06

Quote from: Down4ttown on July 10, 2017, 08:26:19 AM

I have the same spool except it's for the 100 Sized D Series.

Basically the spool is much much lighter. Lets you cast light baits much further with less overruns. These Yumeya Spools come with the brakes and brake tabs installed. Simple drop and replace.

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: rockchalk06 on July 10, 2017, 09:14:58 AM
I have the same spool except it's for the 100 Sized D Series.

Basically the spool is much much lighter. Lets you cast light baits much further with less overruns. These Yumeya Spools come with the brakes and brake tabs installed. Simple drop and replace.

Thanks.  Nice to know.  That I can do on my own.   lo   I have a couple 51Es...one tuned, but feel I do better with light baits on my Alphas' and 105Hs.  Now that I have a Pixie I grab that first for the really light stuff.  I do like my 51Es and this spool is something that may be a game changer.

FISH520

Soooooooooooo  how is the spool's performance?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: FISH520 on August 05, 2017, 08:31:25 AM
Soooooooooooo  how is the spool's performance?

I really have only been out on the water with it once since I got it. So far I love the extra smooth ability to toss the weightless plastics. Im going out on the boat tomorrow morning fishing the canals, I will get some good time with it. Hopefully catch some nice ones as well.

LgMouthGambler

Got to make plenty of casts with this setup. I have got to say I couldn't be happier that I got the spool. It is insane the distance and ease of casting that I gained with this spool. Now, I'm waiting for my 7.7 gears to get here so I can turn this reel into a UV worm burning machine!

<")))>{

LgMouthGambler

7.7 gears for the Scorpion are here.

<")))>{