Long Casts or Long $

Started by Bud Kennedy, July 10, 2017, 09:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

For some reason, I have a hankering for a new reel.  Not just any reel I want something that is so smooth and powerful that it will make your knees weak.  So, after a couple of years of reading posts from the bling brothers, I seem to want a Daiwa SV103.  It is enticing to imagine a reel that can cast a mile and be smooth as silk and molest your wallet all at the same time.  But here in lies the problem.  It seems like the higher end stuff is always in the process of being introduced and discontinued all at the same time.  just about like buying a new computer or cell phone.  Now I have to determine when do I really want to jump onto this train.  Then comes the confusion about is it really that good or do you also have to spend more money to improve the bearings or crank handle and God forbid if you don't have a blinged out cast control knob.  If I buy this reel now do I have to buy another rod just to further enhance the experience?

OK, so I am pulling your leg a bit but I do wonder why the holy grail seems to be how far can one cast our how fast one can retrieve a lure.  I like making a long cast as much as the next guy but truth is that unless I am staring down a grass mat at Guntersville, I have not really needed to cast into the next zip code.  I guess most of my fishing is typically wishing 20 to 30 yards of the boat but the ability to air out a cast is indeed satisfying.  I suppose I may need more flexibility in my casts if I were a competitive angler but being an average joe sling and wind angler I really am finding it hard to justify this kind of expense.  Most likely I am gonna hold off until the tribe gathers at Guntersville and I can give one a try.  Until then I will just have to be happy with my Lews and stay indignant of others who have already made the high end purchase.  If I didn't know better I would think I am exhibiting democrat like tendencies.

~goof

LgMouthGambler

There is more than casting distance Bud, there is control. That is worth its weight in gold. The SV103 was a perfect specimen of what a quality Daiwa could do. Too bad, cause they are no longer available for sale unless you find a leftover or a used one. Im sure you would be quite happy with the Tatula SV, and wont hurt the wallet as bad. And honestly, they are super smooth right out of the box.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FISH520

My SV103 is completely stock ( for now ). It's the best reel I have ever used.  I've used Lews, Abu, new Shimanos and older ones and this reel is the best of the bunch. I like the others, but there is something special about the 103. The upgrades and bling are gonna be added this winter not cause they are needed but wanted. It's gonna be winter because I can't go fishing without the 103!!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

For me cast distance is very important. Even as an average joe fisherman.
Because I do a lot of bank fishing, many times making the long cast past a ledge or drop off is important.
Meanwhile from the boat if fishing the canals it isn't a big deal, but when I fish places like Loxahatchee and make the casts into the flats, or Okeechobee, or Kissimmee, or Istokpoga, I want to be able to bomb my lures or baits. Cover more water and enhance my "searching" . 

I guess that all depends on where you fish and how you fish.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

I'm happy I was steered towards the SV. It's a smooth tank of a reel, and paired with a LSCR Point Blank, words can't describe this match up... Lol!!

zippyduck

The sv103 is awesome but the Tatula sv is every bit as good. Just a few differences the sv103 is smoother but the Tat has the T-wing.
Casting distance is a little better with the tat and control goes to the sv103.
The zillion sv tws has the best of both and is my favorite.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Down4ttown

The SV103 is my next reel hopefully. Looking for a cranking reel so either it or the Tat I guess would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

OK, Here is the object of my question.  I am wanting a reel for the upcoming rally at Guntersville.  I won't say that price is the only consideration, I just want a really good tool.  Currently the shopping list for the reel would clearly be the SV Spool and most likely a TW model.  I don't think there is enough time for another LSCR but if not then I will probably have to go Dobyns even though LSCR would be my absolute first choice.  I have not checked with Lee as to his backlog as yet but I am planning on it real soon. On the other side I am wanting a reel that can be put to good use here as well and want to be able to throw lighter weight lures if I want to.  The Lews does an ok job at this but nothing special.  Not sure what the range of capability is for the SV but certainly want to hear your thoughts.

zippyduck

You would be happy with any of the sv models. The Tatula sv will save you some $ and will be all you need for everything you want it to do, and it is a great skipping reel.
If you look around the zillion sv tws can be bought for around $260.
The TWS system handles heavy line better than the sv103.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 10, 2017, 12:44:24 PM
OK, Here is the object of my question.  I am wanting a reel for the upcoming rally at Guntersville.  I won't say that price is the only consideration, I just want a really good tool.  Currently the shopping list for the reel would clearly be the SV Spool and most likely a TW model.  I don't think there is enough time for another LSCR but if not then I will probably have to go Dobyns even though LSCR would be my absolute first choice.  I have not checked with Lee as to his backlog as yet but I am planning on it real soon. On the other side I am wanting a reel that can be put to good use here as well and want to be able to throw lighter weight lures if I want to.  The Lews does an ok job at this but nothing special.  Not sure what the range of capability is for the SV but certainly want to hear your thoughts.

Bud, if you are wanting to purchase a current Daiwa reel, I would suggest that you wait till I get to Guntersville to get one.  ~shade
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

Are you suggesting a visit to tackle trap may be in order?

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 10, 2017, 01:13:49 PM
Bud, if you are wanting to purchase a current Daiwa reel, I would suggest that you wait till I get to Guntersville to get one.  ~shade
Sounds like a good deal to me!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on July 10, 2017, 01:31:14 PM
Are you suggesting a visit to tackle trap may be in order?

Not suggesting...telling.  lo

caddyjoe77

Bud

you will be happy with the zillion SV TW.  I have it on a skippping LSCR and its money. 

But then again, the SV103 is the cats behind as well.  Those are both jig rods, but could easily be frog rods or anything else. 

BeerMe

LgMouthGambler

I think we gonna need like 4 cars this year Rock.  ~roflmao

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on July 10, 2017, 01:35:12 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me!
Rodney
Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 10, 2017, 01:36:00 PM
Not suggesting...telling.  lo
Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 10, 2017, 01:13:49 PM

Thought you would let him try one of your's! lo lo lo ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rockchalk06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 10, 2017, 03:36:09 PM
I think we gonna need like 4 cars this year Rock.  ~roflmao

I got a bed?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on July 10, 2017, 06:21:19 PM
Thought you would let him try one of your's! lo lo lo ::)
Rodney
Thats how it started with a few people buying new reels. Lol

<")))>{