Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: to all the closet kastking users  (Read 4656 times)

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
to all the closet kastking users
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »

Someone needs to fess up here.  If you take a quick look just on amazon, Kastking has close to twenty different reels from baitcasters, spinning reels, even fly fishing reels.  There are thousands of reviews for these items with the overwhelming majority of them positive.  Yet for some reason, there is zero info on this forum for these reels.  So what's the deal?  Is no one in this forum using this equipment or will no one admit to it? 

I was looking for a new reel this past week and after spending countless hours researching I just couldn't bring myself to get one of the kastking baitcasters.  Mainly because there was no info for them on this forum.  That, and the few negative reviews on amazon were very negative.  Something seemed fishy about that.  I ended up getting a pflueger which I have experience with.  But to be honest, on paper it's half the reel for twice the price.  Wondering if I should have just taken the risk and ordered the kastking. 

Is anyone willing to come out and admit to having experience with these?  Good or bad.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
Re: to all the closet kastking users
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »

Honestly I don't own a one and up until semi recently they didn't have a aluminum frame reel that I was aware of. Not that everyone has to have a metal frame reel but I just won't purchase a plastic frame baitcaster.   
Then when they did get the metal frame version the price was not that far from the reels I already owned that I knew I liked and was very satisfied with. So that ended any reason for me to look at them.
UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:28:22 AM »

Just another cheap Chinese reel that another forum has tried to blast as the best thing since slice bread. That forum is just as much a joke as them trying to say they were a US company.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cortman

• Lunker
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »

A buddy of mine had one. It was garbage, broke within a month. I wouldn't waste my money. Ever heard of buying Amazon reviews? How many of those got the reel for free?

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »

I obviously have no knowledge of whether any, most or all of the amazon reviews are fake but it had me wondering.  But honestly if your payment for a fake review is a free reel, if the reel is a piece of junk is it even worth leaving the fake review?  Just send if back or throw it in the trash. 

It was the reviews about the reels self destructing that had me worried.  You don't see those when you're reading about shimanos or diawas or the other big names.  Those reviews are a small percentage of them though so it's hard to tell if those few had defects in the manufacturing or assembly processes or if they were all ticking bombs. 

As far as calling it another cheap Chinese product: I love to buy American made stuff.  I prefer to do so.  But just buying something that's made in America because it's made in America isn't doing anyone any favors in my lowly opinion.  I want to buy American because it's better.  When you find something is made better elsewhere at a comparable price, sometimes the best way for the American company to see they need to step up their game is through sluggish sales.  I work for an American manufacturing facility and we compete with overseas companies daily.  It keeps us striving to improve our products and reduce costs.  I say all this just to explain why I for one don't immediately write off a company based on where they're located.

My intent with this thread was not to step on any toes but to shed some light no these reels.  I was hoping to find some folks with personal experience that would say they were garbage so that I could confirm what my intuition was telling me. 

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »

A buddy of mine had one. It was garbage, broke within a month. I wouldn't waste my money. Ever heard of buying Amazon reviews? How many of those got the reel for free?

Gotta look at the reviews from the Purchase Verified users. It states it next to their name if they actually purchased through Amazon. Otherwise, hard to trust.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »

I write reviews on every product I buy from them. I get contacted daily by some damn fly by night company looking for positive reviews for their electronics products. Each say "For a thorough glowing review, we will ship you X product for free?  That speaks volumes.

To the OP, Kasking or whatever it's called is absolute horseshit. You're better off getting an H2O house brand reel or a blister pack Abu. Just because a certain shit forum is pushing that crap like it's Gods gift to fisherman, means nothing to people with half a brain.

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:49:03 AM »

Thanks Rick.  I'll try to pay attention to that.  Seems like they should only allow reviews from verified purchases. 

rockchalk: have you used them or held them? 

I'm almost getting the impression this forum in general is anti kastking because there's another forum that is pro kastking.  I haven't bothered to look at other forums.  I still stand behind my decision not to purchase one of their reels.  Am I going to be put on an ultimate bass hit list for bringing this up?

Bud Kennedy

• Life Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:10 AM »

Heck NO .  There are no hit lists on Ultimate Bass.  Just let us know how it works out for you.  It may be just the ticket for your needs. 

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 11:06:45 AM »

I searched for the brand at a good number of my fishing tackle sources and the only one to have anything with that manufacturer's name was Cabella's and that was a rod rack.

Amazon and Walmart seem to be the leading retailers of these Kastking Reels. What that says to me is BPS, Monster Fishing, TW, and Cabella's to name a few either weren't contacted by the company's marking team or didn't want the product in their stores. From a brief internet search, I concluded the brand and products have been around for at least 4 years. That's a long time for anything of quality to not be carried by at least a couple of the leading retailers of that product line.

Anyone interested in quality entry level reels has a boatload of proven reels to choose from including Abu, Diawa, Shimano, Lew's, and Okuma just to name a few.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »

Am I going to be put on an ultimate bass hit list for bringing this up?

lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Down4ttown

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:17 AM »

Ok like many have said, they are a Chinese knock off reel that pushes cheap quality and quantity over quality. That said, most reels are moving to this philosophy. If you have to buy a reel like this, the academy H20 is a great option for low cost. It is metal and holds up well.

Best to stick with brands like Daiwa, Shimano, or Pure fishing. At least their cheaper reels get hand me down technology that is usually far superior to these Chinese reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

• CM Community Diplomat
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 11:54:16 AM »

Whenever you have an actively growing market, particularly one as popular as fishing, you're going to have folks trying to cash in on it. Anyone with a few thousand dollars can start business here and start manufacturing a product in China before the ink is dry on their corporate paperwork and they can flood the market with their products because there are many retailers who could care less about quality as long as the profit margin is good. Like many have pointed out, reviews can be bought and faked, they don't always mean much.

They don't have to be great quality, work well, or last long. They'll still make a profit.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 11:57:05 AM »

Like the ole saying goes, "there is a A$$ for every seat."

scfisher

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:15 PM »

Amazon and Walmart seem to be the leading retailers of these Kastking Reels. What that says to me is BPS, Monster Fishing, TW, and Cabella's to name a few either weren't contacted by the company's marking team or didn't want the product in their stores. From a brief internet search, I concluded the brand and products have been around for at least 4 years. That's a long time for anything of quality to not be carried by at least a couple of the leading retailers of that product line.

That's an excellent point that hadn't occurred to me.  So if the reputable outdoors/fishing companies that have worked at making a name for themselves either won't sell this equipment or aren't being allowed to sell it maybe the consumers should stay away as well. 

What about their braided line?  I'm assuming that's the same company that makes the kastking reels.  The line seems to get the ultimate bass ok.  At least I don't see anyone bashing it as cheap Chinese junk.  Line's ok but reels aren't?

LgMouthGambler

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »

That's an excellent point that hadn't occurred to me.  So if the reputable outdoors/fishing companies that have worked at making a name for themselves either won't sell this equipment or aren't being allowed to sell it maybe the consumers should stay away as well. 

What about their braided line?  I'm assuming that's the same company that makes the kastking reels.  The line seems to get the ultimate bass ok.  At least I don't see anyone bashing it as cheap Chinese junk.  Line's ok but reels aren't?

They dont make the line, just like they dont make the reels. Everything of theirs is basically a 2nd party deal. Most braided lines are the same. Few companies actually all sell the same line but they box it to their brand.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »

The prices I saw for some of them doesn't jive with the cost, they're cutting somewhere. Old saying; "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't."
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

rockchalk06

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:45 PM »

I can't comment on the line as I know nothing about it, but think of it like this. If Bass Pro, Cabelas, Monster etc etc carried the reels, they'd be in a serious bind providing all the refunds and the negative reviews. Carry X product that is pure trash and have 15K bad reviews, that hurts overall sales on everything. They have excellent return policies if you have the receipt and would be killing sales returning all the funds. 

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:48 PM »

I bought some of their braid, but have not used it.

I did a break strength test comparing several braids, I am sure you can find that in the search somewhere on this site. The "cheap Chinese" braids performed just about the same as the name brand stuff.

I am currently using KastKing Masters Mono, and so far I am really liking it. I don't know if they make it or someone makes it for them. Either way, so far it has performed very well for me. Still testing it though.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

cortman

• Lunker
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Kast king has been throwing insane amounts of money at marketing in the last 6 months or so. They've sponsored every youtube fisherman between 2k and 15k subscribers it seems, sponsored the crap forum, bought a ton of Amazon reviews, etc. Sounds like it's working as in its raising their brand in people's consciousness. Still doubt it's worth a red cent.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
  • IBASS 2017 4th place 374.50"
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »

Am I going to be put on an ultimate bass hit list for bringing this up?
lo

UltimateBass Free Bass Fishing Tourney (IBASS) is for everyone!
Just make an account at UltimateBass.com and follow these simple rules found here

j102

• Lunker
to all the closet kastking users
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

It is always safer to buy a reel from any of the top companies.
They cost a big more but last a lot longer, with better customer support and available parts should you need it.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »

I actually own three Cast King spinning reels that I got from a Chinese Distributor.  The ones I got are no different in quality as the larger name reels' budget models.  They are meant to be throw away reels, like many products are today.

As to actual use, they worked for me when I used them for a short while before I got sick.  I used them in brackish and salt water and have held up well for what they are.

Are they big buck reels, no, but some people aren't in the position to purchase that kind of product, and they work great as an entry level or kid, or backup reel.  IMO.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

DinksAllDay

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »

I've tried their braid (I guess it's just a rebranded braid)

I would put it on par with my power pro braid. No real issues, dye eventually faded a bit but not as bad as my fireline

Cheap decent alternative access to Chinese products?

Ddyyak

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »

I've purchase 4 of their baitcasters and I've been quite pleased. If money was no object would I buy $200 reels instead, absolutely. But for a lot of us money is an object. At the price point I think they perform quite well. They have done nothing to intice me to write this review. Now time will tell on durability but I'm not a tourney fisherman so may have different expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 25 queries.