Could this be a problem with braid for crankbaits?

Started by Billme, July 13, 2017, 07:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billme

Decided to try braid on my crankbait setup and the increase in sensitivity on the glass rod was remarkable. However after an hour or better of casting and winding I noticed my casting distance started to decrease.

Question - does braid get waterlogged or could the reel be causing the problem?

I had just cleaned and re-lubed the cast bearings the day before. The braid was Power Pro 20#.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Billme on July 13, 2017, 07:01:01 AM
Decided to try braid on my crankbait setup and the increase in sensitivity on the glass rod was remarkable. However after an hour or better of casting and winding I noticed my casting distance started to decrease.

Question - does braid get waterlogged or could the reel be causing the problem?

I had just cleaned and re-lubed the cast bearings the day before. The braid was Power Pro 20#.

The braid wasn't the issue, something did change to effect casting distance however. What reel are you using for this setup? 

LgMouthGambler

Braid can get water logged, but shouldnt affect distance drastically. Are you sure you didnt accidently hit the spool tension knob?
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MassBassin508

Did you have some line dig further down the spool? To light of line can do that on a baitcasters. Assuming you are using a caster of course.
Fish,Eat,Sleep......Rinse and Repeat.

Billme

I was using a Chronarch 100BPV. I didn't notice any binding in the braid and after maybe a 1/2 doz. cast I just switched out reels and kept fishing. I was catching fish so maybe I did hit the tension nob and didn't realize it.

I removed the braid and re-spooled with mono. I'll put the braid back on and try again to see if I reproduce the problem.