Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Check Those Drain Plugs  (Read 1030 times)

Thornback

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Check Those Drain Plugs
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:48:44 AM »

I pulled up to a lake yesterday morning and there was a truck/trailer/boat on the ramp at the water's edge. I parked, got out, unhooked my boat from the trailer and waited, and waited, and waited. The guy was talking to another fellow and seemed not to notice me standing by my boat. Finally I walked down to see what was holding him up and saw his boat was "draining". He had launched and was running on the lake when he noticed water coming over the transom. His bilge pump could not keep up. He made it back to the ramp got the boat up on his trailer, pulled the trailer out, and was draining the boat. I have three thoughts -- in his position I believe I would have gone in the water and replaced the plug, or I would have a check list before leaving home (which I do), or I would just leave the plug in place and never remove it (which I also do). Any comments?

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
Re: Check Those Drain Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

Everyone makes mistakes. Having said that, you always need to check the drain plug. My plug is  always in and I carry a spare plug. I went to lower my boat from the hoist and heard water running. I quickly pulled up the hoist and water was draining from the boat. Someone had stolen the drain plug. Not accusing anyone but we did have a family of PETA followers in the condo complex at the time.

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »

It would have been thoughtful of him to pull up into the prep area to free up the ramp while his boat finished draining.

I used to always make the drain plug install my first step after hitching up and one of my last checks before backing down the ramp. I'm loving my remote control drain plug. It's still the same procedure, In directly after hitching and check before launch but, If I do ever forget, all I have to do is reach back into the splashwell and flip the control to close it.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Proud Member LSCR Club

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:46:27 AM »

It happens...

Just the other day I did it. I hadn't been on the water in weeks do to life. The last time I was out we were at Toledo Bend for the Annual UBCS. Per norm, on the way home we were hit with a "so bad you can't drive" storm. I pulled into a gas station and pulled the drain plug. I never pull my plug at the ramp, just don't need too. Anyway fast forward to when I finally get to go fishing...

I am by myself. I back the trailer in at an angle so that the ass end of the boat is next to the dock and I can step off the dock into the boat for removal. Thankfully I was slow and lazy that morning. By the time I went to step off the dock, my bilge pump had kicked on. I thought "that's weird", and a thought later I remembered I had pulled the plug.

Had I been with a partner we would have had to reload possibly. Because he would have backed me in, hit the brakes to bump me off and hauled ass to park.

My boat has a plug the is supposed to suck into place when water flows in, thus keeping intake to a min, but it obviously wasn't working. A lot of new rigs are coming with the cable operated plug which is way cool.

Now for him holding up the ramp? As long as his tires weren't on the rims, he should have pulled out of the way. It can take a long time to drain a boat.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Va_Hawghunter

• Charter Member
  • Call'n all hawgs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:08:25 AM »

Saw the same thing Sunday, although the guy had put his plug in before he left his house, big center console, I'm coming off the lake and he comes into the ramp kinda hot, jumps out and runs to his truck, my first thought is he's just trying to jump me getting his boat out, I tie up at the docks and walk towards my truck. His wife is still in the boat and screams to him hurry up it's taking on water     I walk over to see what's going on.

She tells me they have lost the plug. I help her try and keep the boat from beaching on the ramp.

He comes back with his trailer, we get it loaded and he pulls out, water draining, ally good, except his plug was in his livewell hole. I show him the problem.

Then he just sits on the ramp and lets it drain. So I just wait, no biggie, I'm never in a hurry. Life's to short for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »

I swore when I bought my first real boat I would never do that. It took a little over a year and about a month ago guess what.  lo Yup I was on the water 5 minutes or so, fortunately we were just down from the boat ramp when it dawned on us the boat did not take off right. I do always carry a spare but the one we use fits a drain hole in the back near the motor so we store it there. It only took a glance to see it was still there not in the bottom of the boat.  >:(  Well my boat doesn't have a auto bilge so I had water  12" deep in my hull when we reached over the back and put the plug in. We just pulled up to the bank and waited about 10 minutes while it pumped out and off to fish we went. Hopefully it wont happen again for a year or 10.  :)

I wouldn't have sat on the ramp like Cork said unless the tires were flat or the truck couldn't pull it up out of the lake. Its just the courteous thing to not block a ramp if possible.

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »

Happened to me last week!  My brother-in-law went with me.  He is an experienced fisherman and boater.  He put the plug in for me.  He backed the trailer in and I launched.  By the time he parked and walked back I noticed my feet were getting wet. 
I switched on the bilge pump and told him about it, so he ran back to get the trailer again.
Sure enough, he had put the plug into the live well drain hole!  The funny thing is that my son had done that earlier this year and I was telling my bnl about it on the way to the lake and he thought it was really funny.
My Pro Gator has a really awkward position for the plug.  You have to get on your hands and knees to reach it, and you can't reach it from inside the boat.  I'm too hold to be jumping out and diving to do it.  I have made a vow that from now on I will personally check on the plug since it seems to be easy to put it in the wrong hole! 
I bought one of those plugs that let the water out but not in, so you don't have to take it out, but it requires re-drilling the hole to make it bigger and that appears to be a fairly major task.  Plus my mechanic said he had not had good experience with them.
If I had an extra $60,000. laying around I could easily remedy the whole situation.  :)

DonM

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 07:09:51 PM »

I have a tin boat, more than once I've had to reach into the water to put the plug in, ok when it's warm, no fun in March or late November. lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Thornback

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:28 AM »

Everyone makes mistakes. Having said that, you always need to check the drain plug.

That's the reason I always go over a "Check List" after I hook up my trailer to my truck. I have never forgot the drain plug but twice my check list saved me from driving off with the tongue jack still down. Make yourself a check list and use it. Commercial airline pilots use check lists and having served on a diesel sub I can tell you we always used a check list before diving and another check list before we commenced snorkeling.

Thornback

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:57:21 AM »

Just thought I would share my "Check List" I use when connecting my trailer . . .
  1 Connect hitch latch insert pin
  2 Connect electric
  3 Connect 2 safety cables
  4 Check winch tight & locked
  5 Raise tongue jack and lock
  6 Test trailer lights
  7 Check transom saver & strap
  8 Check 2 stern straps
  9 Check drain plug
10 Lower & strap 4 seats
11 Check loose items on deck
12 Shiner net
13 Fill live well
14 Check gas and oil
15 Check tire inflation
16 Check both batteries charged
17 Cell phone
18 Cooler
19 Camera
20 Bring extra gas
21 Strap down trolling motor
22 Lake map

Bassinkorea

• UB Nightshift
  • CM Chief Community Diplomat
  • UB for life - UB Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 10:14:47 AM »

I have once forgot to put my plug in. At that time I was in my little 12 foot boot with flat transom and was easily able to reach over and put the plug in and bilge pump out the water.

After that boat, I got my Triton and never wanted the same to happen, so what I do is take the plug out after a day on the water and attach the plug to my boat keys using a snap link. That way the plug is right there on my boat keys the next time I go fishing. Touch wood, so far I have never forgotten to put the plug in my Triton.

I have seen several others forget also. No harm done so far except for a few red faces.

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:48 PM »

That's a great idea!  :-*

Nutt

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »

Luckily I have not forgotten to put the plug in......yet.  However, I did forget to remove the transom straps before launch at a tournament once.  I had someone back me in the water and could not for the life of figure out why I couldn't come off the trailer.  When I realized I wasn't floating, I immediately knew why.  I do have a check list I follow, but that morning someone was talking to me and I got thrown off, I guess.  Felt pretty stupid, but I got over it pretty fast. 
Getting me some cold cuts!!  WHOOO!!

DonM

• Charter Member
    • DonMasonMusic
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »

I've NEVER done that.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!   ~b~
Well, maybe one time.
DonM

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »

I admit that I did launch my boat once without putting the plug in.  Luckily I was at the ramp by myself and it was a v-hull aluminum boat. I pulled it up to the ramp with the line and spun it around to put the plug in.  I do carry a spare plug just in case it is needed.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

Eric-Maine

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »

Started fishing about 5 miles from launch, bilge pump pumps......curious. Fished a  bit more, bilge pump comes on again.....curiouser.  One reason to have auto bilge pumps.....

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »

Rodney, I used to have a tin boat to fish smaller lakes. It would always develop a leak while on the water. An old and cheap boat, it didn't have a bilge pump. So, I would start the engine, take it up to 25-30 mph(no speedo either) and have my buddy pull the drain plug. The vacuum created by water moving beneath the drain hole would suck out the water. In seconds, the water disappeared and you could replace the plug. By the way, we always inserted the plug from the inside making it very easy to pull from the transom.

j102

• Largemouth
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »

The first time taking my boat out I forgot to put the plug in before I left the house. As soon as I got to the marina, that was the first thing my friend asked me about.
Now, before leaving the house, I walk around the boat going through my checklist.

basss

• Charter Member
  • Just one more cast ....
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

I know I've forgotten to put the plug in a couple of times in my boats over the years.
1990 16' Pro Deep-V
Minkota 55 lbs. thrust up front
Helix 7" DI on the bow/Helix 7" SI at the transom

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »

It would have been thoughtful of him to pull up into the prep area to free up the ramp while his boat finished draining.

same thoughts Princeton.

never 'fun' to stick my arm in up to my cheek to feel around for the plug and screw it in...  okay in summer.  bit less 'enjoyable' in winter.

then again, am thankful that I live somewhere where I'd even THINK of doing this in the winter   ;D

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »

Everyone makes mistakes. Having said that, you always need to check the drain plug. My plug is  always in and I carry a spare plug. I went to lower my boat from the hoist and heard water running. I quickly pulled up the hoist and water was draining from the boat. Someone had stolen the drain plug. Not accusing anyone but we did have a family of PETA followers in the condo complex at the time.

wizard,
the other side of this is with todays invasive issues, 'clean, drain and dry' rules often require plug to be out.

I have as my routine:  plug goes in during boat prep prior to launch.  plug comes out as I prep to trailer h ome after pulling off the ramp.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »

You're right, Coldfront. I haven't trailered my Puma in 5 years. It is on the air hoist year round.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »

Thisi is not a drain plug story but kinda something like it.
Went fishing with a Friend in his boat the other day.  We got the boat ready to launch and additional items loaded.  I backed him into the water which was low tide by the way.  He told me to come on back, further, further, further.  Next I heard, pull up a little, good.  I heard the big motor start and the truck shook some.  Pull it back up the ramp was the next thing I heard.
Here were two, very experienced, Senior boaters that forgot to take the rear straps loose.  Once loose it worked just fine.  Imagine that.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »

Thisi is not a drain plug story but kinda something like it.
Went fishing with a Friend in his boat the other day.  We got the boat ready to launch and additional items loaded.  I backed him into the water which was low tide by the way.  He told me to come on back, further, further, further.  Next I heard, pull up a little, good.  I heard the big motor start and the truck shook some.  Pull it back up the ramp was the next thing I heard.
Here were two, very experienced, Senior boaters that forgot to take the rear straps loose.  Once loose it worked just fine.  Imagine that.
~roflmao ~roflmao ~b~ I've done that to John's boat once but it only happens after I haven't been fishing with him in awhile. Now I can blame it on chemo Brain and old age.  lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

boydn1

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »

I may or may not have done it twice.
Plug now lives in the drives side cup holder so, when I get out of the truck I have to get the plug to put my cup down. 

Two kinds of boaters:
There are those that have and those that will....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 35 queries.