Yozuri Hybrid (Walmart).

Started by j102, July 13, 2017, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j102

I was at Walmart today and they have the 250/300 yards spools of the Yozuri Hybrid lines for $9-$12.
It seems too low priced compared to what I've seen at Bass Pro or Dick's.
Is the spool Walmart sells the same quality?

j102

Like this one: 15 lbs/test, 600 yards for $9 and change.

Wizard

I can only speak for myself. I tried Yozuri Hybrid for 3 weeks. I broke more line at the knot in 3 weeks than I break in a year. I lost several good bass during that time. Having tied fishing knots for over 60 years, I don't think I was the problem.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: j102 on July 13, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
I was at Walmart today and they have the 250/300 yards spools of the Yozuri Hybrid lines for $9-$12.
It seems too low priced compared to what I've seen at Bass Pro or Dick's.
Is the spool Walmart sells the same quality?
You won't find Yozuri at Bass pro, or DSG. Wal-Mart is the only retailer in our area that physically carries YZ, and for cheap.  I personally enjoy this fishing line. It's very tough and has great abrasion resistance.

@Wizard, I don't have the slightest idea why YZ was breaking on you. This line is one of the toughest copoly's out there imho.

You do need to treat it with Line Conditioner often however.

bigjim5589

I've been using it for several years now and like it very much, but none was purchased from Walmart ( nor from BPS or Dick's). Never have had any problems with it, and have even gone to using it for making fly rod leaders for bass, Striper & Redfish.

Excellent line IMO!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

j102

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 13, 2017, 06:34:40 PM
You won't find Yozuri at Bass pro, or DSG. Wal-Mart is the only retailer in our area that physically carries YZ, and for cheap.  I personally enjoy this fishing line. It's very tough and has great abrasion resistance.

@Wizard, I don't have the slightest idea why YZ was breaking on you. This line is one of the toughest copoly's out there imho.

You do need to treat it with Line Conditioner often however.

You must be right. I think Bass Pro and DSG carry the pure fluorocarbon Yozuri line, not the Hybrid line.
I am looking at using it as a leader. I use PP braid as the main line.
I was concerned as sometimes Walmart carries "second hand" products.
I would like to test this Yozuri Hybrid against the P-Line Floroclear line in overall strength and knot strength.

LgMouthGambler

Thats a pretty good price. For what it is, its a very good line. I have tested that line in a very good fight against a solid sized snakehead, and the fact that it didnt break left me speechless. I believe it to be one of the more impressive lines i have used.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

j102

Quote from: bigjim5589 on July 13, 2017, 07:51:39 PM
I've been using it for several years now and like it very much, but none was purchased from Walmart ( nor from BPS or Dick's). Never have had any problems with it, and have even gone to using it for making fly rod leaders for bass, Striper & Redfish.

Excellent line IMO!  :)

Where else do you buy it from?

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: j102 on July 13, 2017, 08:23:16 PM
You must be right. I think Bass Pro and DSG carry the pure fluorocarbon Yozuri line, not the Hybrid line.
I am looking at using it as a leader. I use PP braid as the main line.
I was concerned as sometimes Walmart carries "second hand" products.

I would like to test this Yozuri Hybrid against the P-Line Floroclear line in overall strength and knot strength.
For what application are you using the leader for J102? Wal-Mart usually has seaguar red label FC on sale for really cheap. I bought a few spools of it a few months back. Your mostly a salt water guy right?

j102

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 13, 2017, 08:26:46 PM
For what application are you using the leader for J102? Wal-Mart usually has seaguar red label FC on sale for really cheap. I bought a few spools of it a few months back. Your mostly a salt water guy right?

Yes sir! For Saltwater fishing.
I bank fish the canals (sometimes in the afternoons), and the Everglades from friends boats, but mostly Saltwater.
I am going to look for Seaguar Red Label next time at Walmart. I didn't see it today, but I wasn't looking for it. Thanks!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: j102 on July 13, 2017, 08:37:59 PM
Yes sir! For Saltwater fishing.
I bank fish the canals (sometimes in the afternoons), and the Everglades from friends boats, but mostly Saltwater.
I am going to look for Seaguar Red Label next time at Walmart. I didn't see it today, but I wasn't looking for it. Thanks!
I don't know which Wal-Mart you go to, but the one I go to, the stuff they have on sale is separate from the regular items. You have to walk around the section  and look around closely.

SFL BassHunter

In my experience, YZ is a very tough line. It is very difficult to break, and has a lot of abrasion resistance.

For me its a good line for cranks, and moving baits. But I don't like it for topwater which is why I don't use it. I feel like it sinks. Not as fast as fluoro but it certainly makes topwaters feel different than mono.
I also don't find it to be very sensitive so its a no go for me on bottom contact baits.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 13, 2017, 08:40:27 PM
I don't know which Wal-Mart you go to, but the one I go to, the stuff they have on sale is separate from the regular items. You have to walk around the section  and look around closely.

Will do. I'll look for it this weekend.

j102

Quote from: rickdelprado on July 13, 2017, 09:06:22 PM
In my experience, YZ is a very tough line. It is very difficult to break, and has a lot of abrasion resistance.

For me its a good line for cranks, and moving baits. But I don't like it for topwater which is why I don't use it. I feel like it sinks. Not as fast as fluoro but it certainly makes topwaters feel different than mono.
I also don't find it to be very sensitive so its a no go for me on bottom contact baits.

Thanks Rick. I'm looking at these lines as a possible Fluorocarbon leader substitute.
But if Seaguar Red Label FC is sold at Walmart for a good price, I might go that route.

bigjim5589

I've usually ordered it online, and have purchased from various suppliers. I have a list of bookmarks on my home computer of places I'll check when I need something and check for sales &, closeouts or discontinues. I'm in Galveston at the moment so don't have access to that information.

I fish saltwater too, and have ordered Yozuri from places such as All Tackle in MD, and Tackle Direct, both of which cater to saltwater anglers. I don't recall who I bought from last. There was also a tackle shop not too far from where I used to live in MD that I bought such things as line from sometimes.

I moved to SC in 2015, so it was before that since I've purchased any Hybrid.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: j102 on July 13, 2017, 10:33:20 PM
Thanks Rick. I'm looking at these lines as a possible Fluorocarbon leader substitute.
But if Seaguar Red Label FC is sold at Walmart for a good price, I might go that route.
Yeah Walmart sells both. You get more line for the money with yz and as leader I wouldn't hesitate to use yz.

Lou uses that stuff and swears by it and he uses it for bottom contact and all that. He must have more sensitivity in his hands. He also has many years of bass fishing experience over me. Many. Lol

I don't use leaders but if I did I would not mind using yz.

Oh I forgot you do saltwater also. For salt I haven't tried yz. I'm sure it's fine. When I fish salt I usually target snapper. I use 15lb red label. It's thinner diameter and clearer. Don't know if it makes a difference but it works for me lol.

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: bigjim5589 on July 13, 2017, 11:29:14 PM
I've usually ordered it online, and have purchased from various suppliers. I have a list of bookmarks on my home computer of places I'll check when I need something and check for sales &, closeouts or discontinues. I'm in Galveston at the moment so don't have access to that information.

I fish saltwater too, and have ordered Yozuri from places such as All Tackle in MD, and Tackle Direct, both of which cater to saltwater anglers. I don't recall who I bought from last. There was also a tackle shop not too far from where I used to live in MD that I bought such things as line from sometimes.

I moved to SC in 2015, so it was before that since I've purchased any Hybrid.

Don't worry Jim. Enjoy your time off. I'll check the places you listed, plus Amazon and Walmart. Thanks!

j102

Quote from: rickdelprado on July 14, 2017, 06:57:56 AM
Yeah Walmart sells both. You get more line for the money with yz and as leader I wouldn't hesitate to use yz.

Lou uses that stuff and swears by it and he uses it for bottom contact and all that. He must have more sensitivity in his hands. He also has many years of bass fishing experience over me. Many. Lol

I don't use leaders but if I did I would not mind using yz.

Oh I forgot you do saltwater also. For salt I haven't tried yz. I'm sure it's fine. When I fish salt I usually target snapper. I use 15lb red label. It's thinner diameter and clearer. Don't know if it makes a difference but it works for me lol.

Yeah Rick, I think it makes a difference. I go straight braid for Freshwater, but I use a leader for Saltwater. I have not been brave enough to drop the leader for Saltwater.
In reference to Lou, sometimes it's hard to follow his lead. That guy catches fish without a rod, reel or line. He is a beast! LOL!
Thank you guys!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: j102 on July 14, 2017, 07:07:12 AM
Yeah Rick, I think it makes a difference. I go straight braid for Freshwater, but I use a leader for Saltwater. I have not been brave enough to drop the leader for Saltwater.
In reference to Lou, sometimes it's hard to follow his lead. That guy catches fish without a rod, reel or line. He is a beast! LOL!
Thank you guys!
Lol!! Tx J102, if that was the case I would be cruising through the competition, but trust me I'm NOT!! Our boy Rick on the other hand has found his stride and has been doing very well.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 14, 2017, 07:41:20 AM
Lol!! Tx J102, if that was the case I would be cruising through the competition, but trust me I'm NOT!! Our boy Rick on the other hand has found his stride and has been doing very well.

Shhhhhh the fish can hear you!  ~beer~
Florida Bass Fishing

j102

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 14, 2017, 07:41:20 AM

Yes he is. He is not a student anymore. He pretends to be one so people don't follow him around to his secret places. LOL!
He is a Master!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: j102 on July 14, 2017, 09:35:45 AM
Yes he is. He is not a student anymore. He pretends to be one so people don't follow him around to his secret places. LOL!
He is a Master!
Yeah... Ricks been in an intensive 3 year UB internship program, and he's graduating very soon. Lol

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: j102 on July 14, 2017, 09:35:45 AM
He is a Master!

Secret spots! lol.  ~tumble ~tumble ~tumble

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 14, 2017, 09:09:41 AM
Lol!!
Lou he said I have secret spots lol!!!!  ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao
Florida Bass Fishing

j102