Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone use H2O Xpress?  (Read 743 times)

rman

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Anyone use H2O Xpress?
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »

One of my kids picked up a 4.5" sunfish swimbait awhile back and I threw it a couple weeks ago, right it was pretty neat and picked up a 4.5". Bluegill for myself

Threw it for the first time today, on my 4th or 5th cast I decided to fish it like a jerkbait and BAM!

Unfortunately the Damn fish RAN. pulled my drag about 60-70 yards FAST (just about the length of this tiny pond). All the while I was cranking down my drag and reeling like a machine. By the time the fish got to the end of the pond it spit the damn lure.
There's a 31lb catfish in there, I can only assume that was what it was.

Anyhow, stopped by Academy and picked up a replacement (lost it on my next cast, hung up on a fountain), one kid got 3.5" crappie and the other got a nice jerkbait, he's also got a topwater bluegill.

Anyone else have experience with this company? I find their logo to be piss poor, but ths products themselves appear to look top notch. Kind of hard to look past the generic looking packaging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rman

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Re: Anyone use H2O Xpress?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:46 PM »

oh and a bit off topic, but how the hell do you catch a fish that pulls the drag out?
Abu Garcia Revo SX, 80lb test braid. Maxed out my drag and was afraid it'd pull my spool down to my 20lb test backing.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »

H2O lures are good not great baits. They work fine for me, I have had no issues what so ever with any style of theirs. I have a frog, some suspending jerk baits, some lipless, some squarebills, jointed and nonjointed, rattles and no rattles, along with several of their small swimbaits. I probably have more but for the $ they are a solid choice for me.

bigjim5589

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »

I've fished several crankbaits and jerkbaits that I ordered from Academy, and like them very much. Also have some of their worm binders, which have been as good as any I've tried including some Shimano brand. I could care less about packaging or logos, they make no difference about how any product actually performs.  ~shade

A bunch of years ago I bought some Renegade lures at a Walmart. Only paid about $1 each for them. I was taking my youngest two sons on a fishing trip to PA to fish the Susquehanna River, and knew we would lose some lures. I didn't want my "good", higher priced, name brand lures lost, so went with the Renegade lures. Turned out to be some pretty darn good, fish catching lures. We caught a bunch of Smallmouth bass on them, and I still have some Renegade saltwater lures I bought after that and have caught plenty of fish on them too.

Just because a lure doesn't have a higher price tag, or a big name brand label on it, that means it won't be a fish catching lure. I've proven that to myself many times with " cheap" lures that I've bought.

Academy sells some very good lures, and other fishing products, so let the label or price sway you away from them.  ;)
No one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being UNDER it!
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker! It's Not Just A Hobby, It's An OBSESSION!!
http://tidewaterflyblog.blogspot.com/

Down4ttown

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »

My grandfather uses them. I change out his trebles and he does fine with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:58:24 AM »

oh and a bit off topic, but how the hell do you catch a fish that pulls the drag out?
Abu Garcia Revo SX, 80lb test braid. Maxed out my drag and was afraid it'd pull my spool down to my 20lb test backing.

Did you use your thumb? I know with the low profile reels sometimes its harder to get in there and get good pressure, but once he slows down a bit, you can use that thumb of yours to add an extra pound or so of drag.
6.31 PB 🎣

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 07:48:11 AM »

From what you describe doesn't sound like it was a bass on the other end of your line.  :'( Sounds like you may have caught a big catfish or grass carp if you have those in your area. As far as controlling a fish that's pulling drag like that, my suggestion would be to chase the fish down by foot to recoup line.  Assuming you were bank fishing. At some point the fish would have to let it up just enough for you to start gaining the advantage. If that big fish manages to lodge itself into thick vegetation, it could be game over.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

rman

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »

Did you use your thumb? I know with the low profile reels sometimes its harder to get in there and get good pressure, but once he slows down a bit, you can use that thumb of yours to add an extra pound or so of drag.

problem is he never slowed down. if anything he got faster lol. I would have burned my thumb off!

rman

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 01:10:23 PM »

From what you describe doesn't sound like it was a bass on the other end of your line.  :'( Sounds like you may have caught a big catfish or grass carp if you have those in your area. As far as controlling a fish that's pulling drag like that, my suggestion would be to chase the fish down by foot to recoup line.  Assuming you were bank fishing. At some point the fish would have to let it up just enough for you to start gaining the advantage. If that big fish manages to lodge itself into thick vegetation, it could be game over.
it had to have been that huge 31lb catfish. a kid caught in march. not sure how he landed it but I've seen pictures of it.

Another guy I talked to said he caught a huge 40ish catfish there 2-3 years back. Amazing how big some of the fish are in this pond, probably the size of a football field, smaller actually. I pulled a 7lb LMB out of there 2 weeks ago, another lady claims she got one 8lbs (saw pics).

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

One of my kids picked up a 4.5" sunfish swimbait awhile back and I threw it a couple weeks ago, right it was pretty neat and picked up a 4.5". Bluegill for myself

Threw it for the first time today, on my 4th or 5th cast I decided to fish it like a jerkbait and BAM!

Unfortunately the Damn fish RAN. pulled my drag about 60-70 yards FAST (just about the length of this tiny pond). All the while I was cranking down my drag and reeling like a machine. By the time the fish got to the end of the pond it spit the damn lure.

Anyhow, stopped by Academy and picked up a replacement (lost it on my next cast, hung up on a fountain), one kid got 3.5" crappie and the other got a nice jerkbait, he's also got a topwater bluegill.

Anyone else have experience with this company? I find their logo to be piss poor, but ths products themselves appear to look top notch. Kind of hard to look past the generic looking packaging.

After using several of their crank baits, they have become my go to for these lures. At 2-3 dollars a crank you can't ask for a better painted lure, with good sticky hooks, and they run true out of the box.
H20 Xpress lures are fantastic.
The logo looks crappy, but who cares about the logo? Once I take it out the box, the logo means nothing.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

MassBassin508

• Smallmouth
  • Skunkproof
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 06:03:16 PM »

A lot of guys swear by them for the price.
Fish,Eat,Sleep......Rinse and Repeat.

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • B.A.S.S. Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »

I use a lot of their crankbaits and hooks.  For the price you really can't beat them. 
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

PECo

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »

You might have snagged a catfish or a carp, but if it pulled steadily away from you, I'd guess that it was a carp; those fish pull like tractors. Earlier this year, I snagged a 30+ pound carp just in front of its dorsal fin. I was fishing 10 pound test fluoro from a kayak, so it dragged me around and went wherever it wanted for more than 35 minutes. When you snag a carp toward the center of its body, you can't slow it down and you can't turn it. After I finally got it off the bottom, I considered landing it in the shallows, but decided to try and hold it at the surface and either lip or gill it. Before I could grab it, my line finally snapped; holding a 30+ pound fish on the surface with 10 pound test line was a mistake.

I fish with spinning reels and you have to be really careful to NOT reel while a fish is pulling drag. It'll twist up your line like crazy. However, sometimes you really have no choice. I ended up having to re-spool after losing the carp; it twisted my line into rope:

rman

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »

You might have snagged a catfish or a carp, but if it pulled steadily away from you, I'd guess that it was a carp; those fish pull like tractors. Earlier this year, I snagged a 30+ pound carp just in front of its dorsal fin. I was fishing 10 pound test fluoro from a kayak, so it dragged me around and went wherever it wanted for more than 35 minutes. When you snag a carp toward the center of its body, you can't slow it down and you can't turn it. After I finally got it off the bottom, I considered landing it in the shallows, but decided to try and hold it at the surface and either lip or gill it. Before I could grab it, my line finally snapped; holding a 30+ pound fish on the surface with 10 pound test line was a mistake.

I fish with spinning reels and you have to be really careful to NOT reel while a fish is pulling drag. It'll twist up your line like crazy. However, sometimes you really have no choice. I ended up having to re-spool after losing the carp; it twisted my line into rope:

i have never heard of a carp in that pond. Not to say it doesn't exist.... I fish for bass in our tiny neighborhood pond almost every day... good never think there was bass in there either, except one of my boys pulled up a 3" LMB 2 weeks ago

Whatever it was, yes it was steady, and yes I'm going to find it eventually. Bought the same swim bait and will continue to toss it in and jerk fish it...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 34 queries.