Paging Cortman

Started by caddyjoe77, July 17, 2017, 05:00:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyjoe77

Which Megabass Rods do you have?  I was looking at the Orochi xx worm rod. 
BeerMe

ccr425

I'm not Cortman, but I have a few of the xx rods. I have the rod just under the one you're asking about. It's the tour versatile and it makes a great worm rod. It feels like its power rating is pretty close being a heavy. To me it feels like it's a little softer than heavy, maybe upper end of medium heavy. The action feels like it's fast to me. I never hesitate to use it for bottom contact stuff due to its performance and sensitivity. I actually like it better than my heavy power custom k2 worm/jig rod. The k2 is super sensitive, but it's a broomstick! If you want something closer to an extra fast action and probably more backbone than the tour versatile then look to the jig and worm rod that your asking about. Hope this helps.

cortman

Right here bud. I currently have 4 Orochi XX rods, the Perfect Pitch, Spinnerbait Special, Flatside Special, and EMTF. 1 2017 US Destroyer, the FMJ. 1 Destroyer Legend Works Limited, the Gambler.
Never used the Worm & Jig Special but I would guess it's probably similar to the FMJ as far as power.
Depends what you want to use the rod for, if you're thinking bottom contact in the 1/4 to 3/4 oz range I would definitely recommend the EMTF. Heavier than that and the Perfect Pitch is a good choice too.

ccr425

Quote from: cortman on July 19, 2017, 03:07:25 PM
Right here bud. I currently have 4 Orochi XX rods, the Perfect Pitch, Spinnerbait Special, Flatside Special, and EMTF. 1 2017 US Destroyer, the FMJ. 1 Destroyer Legend Works Limited, the Gambler.
Never used the Worm & Jig Special but I would guess it's probably similar to the FMJ as far as power.
Depends what you want to use the rod for, if you're thinking bottom contact in the 1/4 to 3/4 oz range I would definitely recommend the EMTF. Heavier than that and the Perfect Pitch is a good choice too.
I agree with you on the EMTF. It feels like the perfect rod. I would use it more if it wasn't 7'5". You can throw almost anything with it. I just wish it was a little more manageable, maybe 7'1" or 7'2". Perfect Pitch is also great, but it's a serious stick with lots of backbone and enough tip to make it castable. I liked it so much that I bought a second one last year. The XX rods that I have are all great rods. Excellent builds, great tapers, and major sensitivity all contribute to the XX line being excellent choices!

FISH520

Quote from: ccr425 on July 19, 2017, 09:22:15 PM
I agree with you on the EMTF. It feels like the perfect rod. I would use it more if it wasn't 7'5". You can throw almost anything with it. I just wish it was a little more manageable, maybe 7'1" or 7'2". Perfect Pitch is also great, but it's a serious stick with lots of backbone and enough tip to make it castable. I liked it so much that I bought a second one last year. The XX rods that I have are all great rods. Excellent builds, great tapers, and major sensitivity all contribute to the XX line being excellent choices!
As Rock said "stop it with these rods". I don't want to buy one.😎

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

cortman

Quote from: ccr425 on July 19, 2017, 09:22:15 PM

Agree 100%, except I like the fact that the EMTF is 7'5"- I'm 6'2" and bank fish a lot so I like being able to really sling baits out there. You should get yourself a Diablo Spec R. ;)

Quote from: FISH520 on July 19, 2017, 09:33:30 PM
As Rock said "stop it with these rods". I don't want to buy one.😎

Yes you do. ;)

FISH520

Trying not to steal from the OP, but I bank fish and if I go over 1/4oz then I'm gonna use my LSCR. So 1/4oz and under for bottum contact. What the MB rod to look for?

ccr425

Quote from: cortman on July 19, 2017, 09:45:34 PM
Agree 100%, except I like the fact that the EMTF is 7'5"- I'm 6'2" and bank fish a lot so I like being able to really sling baits out there. You should get yourself a Diablo Spec R. ;)

Yes you do. ;)
I love the EMTF for senkos and weightless mag Speed Worms. It bombs those plastics and picks up line quickly with the length. I do a lot of sidearm casting and that's where the length hurts me sometimes. I've been really close to pulling the trigger on the DSR a few times. I think it would be to slow of a taper to do what I need. I wanted it for Horny Toads. I just made a major mistake with a Dobyns DC734C for HTs. Luckily it all worked out with some excellent customer service though. If I threw chatterbaits or spinnerbaits or buzzbaits more, then I would've snatched a DSR up.

cortman

Quote from: ccr425 on July 19, 2017, 10:24:54 PM
I love the EMTF for senkos and weightless mag Speed Worms. It bombs those plastics and picks up line quickly with the length. I do a lot of sidearm casting and that's where the length hurts me sometimes. I've been really close to pulling the trigger on the DSR a few times. I think it would be to slow of a taper to do what I need. I wanted it for Horny Toads. I just made a major mistake with a Dobyns DC734C for HTs. Luckily it all worked out with some excellent customer service though. If I threw chatterbaits or spinnerbaits or buzzbaits more, then I would've snatched a DSR up.

Ah yeah I can see that. I think the DSR might be a little faster than you think, but it is kind of subjective as well.
That's one thing that's so interesting about MB rods, they are so individualistic. Each model has its own "personality" of sorts, rods aren't super uniform within any given series.

caddyjoe77

Well hell lol. Now I have no idea. 😂

So I like a medium ish power with a worm that I can feel everything. Rod would double as a light jig ish rod.

Was looking for something about 7 feet easy to pitch under docks etc.

BeerMe

rockchalk06

I should have sent you a text, but American Legacy Fishing had the NRX 853 MBR's on sale for 375 yesterday. They are gone now though.

That 853 MBR is a sweet ass rod

cortman

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on July 20, 2017, 07:06:43 PM

So I like a medium ish power with a worm that I can feel everything. Rod would double as a light jig ish rod.

If it weren't for the fact that it's 7'5" and you want something around 7' I would say EMTF all day. DSR at 7'2" might be more to your liking.

ccr425

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on July 20, 2017, 07:06:43 PM

Then the XX worm and jig rod is going to be a lot more stout than what you're looking for. The EMTF would make an awesome rod for your intended purposes if you can get away with a 7'5" rod. It's a special rod in my book.

caddyjoe77

I pitch a  ML 784 under docks no issues now. I'll take a look at the EMTF. If the feel is near that or if you've ever used one that's the feel I'm looking for

Thanks gentleman.
BeerMe