Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What type of reel for bank fishing?  (Read 436 times)

chrishogs

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
What type of reel for bank fishing?
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »

So what type of gear do you fish from the bank and why?

Princeton_Man

• CM Forum Staff
  • My Mission is goin' fishin'
    • J.Langridge
Re: What type of reel for bank fishing?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »

Depends more on the bait/technique than bank/boat. If surroundings limit casting from the bank, a spinning rig might be my choice. If there's cover and vegetation in the water, I prefer a baitcaster and heavier rod.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »

Can't pick just 1.

I use both. Some days (extra windy days) I use my spinning gear. Not so windy days I use my baitcaster.

It also depends on the place I am fishing. Like Princeton if there is cover like pads for example, a baitcaster is in order. If its submerged grass I can get away with either one.

Or if I know I am going to fish a frog, then baitcaster.

So yeah always good to have 1 of each if possible.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6.04lbs / Length 24.25 inches.

Bassinlou

• Mr. Frogger
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »

Hi ChrisHog, a similar topic was brought up like this one a little ago. Click on the link below, maybe some of those responses will help you.

http://www.ultimatebass.com/bass-fishing-forum/index.php?topic=132416.0

Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »

I hate spinning reels, so I never use them. Id rather learn how to properly fish a baitcaster in any situation.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

• Charter Member
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »

I usually have a couple of each in the truck with me. Even on ponds I fish regularly things can change up quick so I like to have a few different options available.
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

MassBassin508

• Smallmouth
  • Skunkproof
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:04:33 PM »

Almost always carry both. Sometimes the wind and baitcasters don't get along with each other.
Fish,Eat,Sleep......Rinse and Repeat.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »

I just like throwing the Baitcaster. No need for them fairy sticks  ~roflmao

islandbass

• Largemouth
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:26 AM »

Are you going to limit yourself to just one reel type because you'll be fishing from the shore? At least one of each, lol.

As a shorebound angler, when possible, I bring both types.

I realize as some "self-respectin'" bass anglers might shun spinning reels, but the wise angler would see both as tools and use them appropriately.

So my answer and suggestion is to use both and not one or the other exclusively.

I usually bring three rods but ideally like to bring 4:

1) Spinning - to handle UL to Light.  Some days when the bite is tough I want to at least catch a ding dang blue gill so I don't go home skunked
2) Spinning - to handle medium light to medium
3) Casting - Medium power
4) Casting - Medium Heavy

When I'm in 3 rod mode, I forego one just to be less encumbered. Lastly, it's rare, but there will be that day you screw up with your casting reel(s) with royal class bird's nests, at least you have a spinning rig to continue fishing, lol.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
“Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too.” Now all I can say to that is this;
“That’s my little girl!”

SteelHorseCowboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »

I have mostly bait casters because that's just what I have. I'm on a tight budget so my gear is limited and a bit on the cheaper side. I almost always reach for my Ambassadeur 5000 or Black Max, partly because their 6'6" rods are easier to fit in my car than the 7' rod my 5500C Frankenreel is mounted on.
I almost always have my Zebco Micro 33 with it's 5'6" rod in my trunk. Never know when you may run across a new puddle, and it's a blast hauling in a bigger fish than you should be able to.
My next rod and reel purchase is going to be a spinning reel combo. Having a car instead of a truck, I have to consider size with every piece of equipment I get. I can leave the rods sticking up out of the rear window, but there's only so much space between the front and rear seats, plus I usually have my Lady and one or two of the kids with me.
2012 Dodge Avenger. I've said since day one I'd happily sacrifice half the trunk space for more rear seat space.
I could fit three or four dead bodies in the trunk, but only two live ones in the back seat.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »

I have mostly bait casters because that's just what I have. I'm on a tight budget so my gear is limited and a bit on the cheaper side. I almost always reach for my Ambassadeur 5000 or Black Max, partly because their 6'6" rods are easier to fit in my car than the 7' rod my 5500C Frankenreel is mounted on.
I almost always have my Zebco Micro 33 with it's 5'6" rod in my trunk. Never know when you may run across a new puddle, and it's a blast hauling in a bigger fish than you should be able to.
My next rod and reel purchase is going to be a spinning reel combo. Having a car instead of a truck, I have to consider size with every piece of equipment I get. I can leave the rods sticking up out of the rear window, but there's only so much space between the front and rear seats, plus I usually have my Lady and one or two of the kids with me.
2012 Dodge Avenger. I've said since day one I'd happily sacrifice half the trunk space for more rear seat space.
I could fit three or four dead bodies in the trunk, but only two live ones in the back seat.

I have a Ford Mustang, I slide my rods in through the trunk and lower the back seat, and slide the rods down the right side of the passenger chair so that they are between the chair and the door. I can fit 5 rods and reels easily this way and my longest is 7'6" and it fits.
Maybe you can try a similar technique so that rod length isn't such a big issue. I would suspect the Avenger has more space than my Mustang.
Just a thought.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6.04lbs / Length 24.25 inches.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

I have a Ford Mustang, I slide my rods in through the trunk and lower the back seat, and slide the rods down the right side of the passenger chair so that they are between the chair and the door. I can fit 5 rods and reels easily this way and my longest is 7'6" and it fits.
Maybe you can try a similar technique so that rod length isn't such a big issue. I would suspect the Avenger has more space than my Mustang.
Just a thought.

I know it does, in both the back seat and the trunk. I also have the pass-thru hatch in the center of the rear seat. I should check the fit and see if the rods sticking forward will interfere with my driving. Thanks for that idea!
Laying a seat down won't be an option if I have my passengers, but with that stupidly large trunk and pass-thru, if the rods don't impede my driving that'll solve about all my problems with space!
I completely overlook some of the most obvious stuff! I happen to have my Black Max with me today, did some early morning fishing before work. I'm gonna go check right now!

SteelHorseCowboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:38 AM »

You can't ask for a much better fit than that!
The 7' pole may still be a bit iffy, but should still be manageable.
Thanks again Rick!

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »

Sure thing! It beats having your rods sticking out of an open window lol.

Yeah I don't have that problem as I don't usually have passengers.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

I'm lucky no one's broken them off. I've seen it happen to other people. But mine are never left unattended for long, and now they never have to be sticking out of the window again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 24 queries.