Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of Actions and powers for brands  (Read 642 times)

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
Comparison of Actions and powers for brands
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:46:39 PM »

I run Dobyns and Abu rods.

The power ratings on Dobyns always feel lighter than what it is rated at. The action is pretty close.

The power on Abu Villains is always at least a full power heavier than what it is rated at. And the action is always stiffer.

What other brands do you use and how do you compare them?
If you need me I'm outdoors.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Comparison of Actions and powers for brands
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:14:47 AM »

I use Dobyns, and yes they seem to be on the softer side than most I have used in the past. Other than Dobyns, my other rods are Lee Smith Customs. I will see how this new G Loomis is when I get it.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »

I agree that Dobyns power rating is a bit softer than some others.  On the other hand there are ones like Shimano and others whose power ratings are above stated. The power rating and action are at the whim of the designer.  I have an old Gator rod that claims MHF in actuality should be HXF.  Originally purchased for flipping and pitching I have used it for TR worm fishing because of its sensitivity. 
Bottom line for me is sensitivity and utility.  Give me a rod that I can feel the fish and get them to the boat and I am a happy Grandpappy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:14:28 PM by Kris »
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »

Subscribed. Ratings and action are something I need to know more about. I hope other chime in.

WarriorRiverTackle

• Ultimate Basser
  • Fishin' Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »

They are all different... every brand is going to feel different from the other even if the blank is rated the same.

Same thing when buying blanks to build with.

If you're shopping around & planning to buy in store, the best thing to do is just go feel all of them. lol. Hard to do with dobyns and some others as they are not as prevalent in stores as big name brand rods.

But back when I was buying from stores for my personal use, I would go to academy, or Bass Pro and handle them all, and see which one felt the best to suit my needs for that particular rod (cranking, spinnerbaits, whatever I was looking for). Then find the best deal on it, whether that be in the store or online.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »

My Cabelas Arachnid is a MH F, it is rated for up to 5/8oz lures. It feels more like a cross between M and MH than a true MH. It has more of a parabolic bend, and in fact even smaller fish sometimes feel like they are bigger than they really are.

Dobyns Savvy 734 is rated H but feels more like a MH on the higher end of the MH spectrum.
My Fenwick Aetos falls inbetween my Arachnid and my Savvy.
I haven't used my berkley lightning in a long while, but I think it falls high on the MH spectrum, its got a lot of backbone.

They are all different.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Forum Staff
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:33 PM »

The power on Abu Villains is always at least a full power heavier than what it is rated at. And the action is always stiffer.

I own a lot of different model ABU rods and I find this is true across the brand regardless of which rod line it is.  Over the years I've used Quantum, Falcon and All Star rods.

I personally feel that the older All Stars were the closest to what I expected when they listed a particular power and action. But like I say, that is my personal expectation and will be different from someone else's. Since there is no industry standard for these things I think it is important to be able to get your hands on a rod and try before you buy if possible.

One last note to my ramble. I am relatively new to Dobyns rods, but I like the fact that Gary understands that say a 4 power rod for one technique can be a totally different beast for another technique, but both are still rated a 4 power. It may confuse some beginners but once you understand the applications you intend to use a particular rod for it actually makes a lot more sense than the cookie-cutter one size fits all approach that so many rod manufacturers use.
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 06:24:15 PM »

The Powell Rods  flipping stick is rated as a MH instead of H. I've learned to look at what size line and lure the rod is rated for to help me decide. I agree with Smallie on Abu rods. The MH Veritas that I have is as stiff as a board!

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »

My 7' MHF villain is a wrist breaker when you set the hook, but saying that, the fish are pinned good.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

FISH520

• Charter Member
  • HERE FISHY FISHY
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

Berkley rods are about 2 powers heavier than listed lol and i think St. Croix are about a 1/2 power heavier, but St. Croix actions are spot on IMO.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:48 AM »

I'll agree that Abu rods are heavy and stiffer than their ratings. No doubt about that.

I honestly think GLoomis has off ratings. A 3 power is considered a MH, yet they're on the softer side of everyone else's medium power ratings.

I can't comment on Dobyns because all my rods are a CB model, except for my 735 and I would consider it a true heavy power like the rating suggests.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.