Bait Monkey took over tonight - Tatula SV

Started by chrishogs, July 22, 2017, 10:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishogs

Hello all,

The bait monkey got me good tonight and I ordered up my first baitcaster. Daiwa Tatula SV 7.3:1 left handed to be paired with a Dobyns Sierra 703. Cannot wait to get this out on the water and learn how to use a baitcaster. Obviously initially I will be just using mono to learn how to use my new reel, but what are everyone's thoughts on what to spool it with? I have looked at a lot of reviews and read quite a bit, but some say there is no need for mono backing to braid, while others suggest it. What is everyone's thoughts on here?

zippyduck

Always use mono backing for braid. Seaguar senshi is the best mono but you might want to start with good ole berkley trilene xl to learn with.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Congrats on the new reel  ~c~

Mono backing is a good idea for two reasons. The first is simple, use a cheep mono and use it as filler. To obtain the maximum performance out of your reel the spool needs to be full. Spools hold more line than we need. So fill up at least a quarter to a third with backing. This way you don't use as much of your more expensive line. And don't waste as much when it's time to change it. I tournament fish and change my line often. So I set my backing so that after a maximum cast there is still 15-20 yards of main line left on the spool. This gives me a month of re-tieing baits (you lose a little each time) then when I make a maximum cast and I can see my backing, I know it's time to change my line.

The second reason is braid will turn its self into a tube (for lack of better explanation). After a couple weeks, the water brought back to your reel causes the first couple layers of braid around your spool to become mildly bonded to its self. Almost like old rubber bands that stick together. This creates the tube. Now your braid can slip around the spool, creating a zero drag effect. Three ways to prevent this, one use mono backing, tape the braid to the spool, or tie your braid through the spool if possible.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cortman

Senshei is great mono. Berkley Big Game is also excellent for the price and very durable. Do use some backing for braid for the reasons given. As far as braid it is hard to beat good old Power Pro in my opinion.

Smallie_Stalker

I always use a mono backing for braid. I try and match the diameter of the mono to the diameter of the braid. What Mike says about the amount of backing makes a lot of sense and I used to do this too. Now though I use only enough backing to cover the spool arbor two or maybe three times then I tie on my braid with a uni to uni knot. I do use a different colored mono than the braid. Make sure you wind the braid on nice and tight.

When braid gets old and faded you can take a second reel, tie on your backing then take the faded end of the braid from the first reel, tie it to the backing on the second reel and spool it onto the new reel. This way you get a fresh end of braid and you save $$ by being able to use the same braid on two different reels. If you don't fish tourneys one spool of braid can last you a good long while this way.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

1ReelFanatik

I spooled mine with 12# McCoy Mean Green.  Reel is on an Okuma Helios 7' MF rod.  Feels real nice.  May leave it there...at least for awhile.  Lots of good lines.  XL is a good one that I still use on a couple reels, but I have been trying other brands.  I like AN40.  Big Game is good.  I use it in 8# and 12#, but personally I feel it has a bit more memory than some lines although once it is nice and wet it handles just fine.  I like Sufix lines and the Elite is a nice soft line (like XL, Super Natural, etc.) that handles very well.

I am like many.  I always use backing for braid so I can save a bit of money.  The average reel is going to hold way more line than you will ever need for bass fishing.