Why use a longer reel handle

Started by Mike Cork, July 23, 2017, 07:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

I always wonder why anglers want a longer handle on their reels?

So in researching handles for shimano reels I see that there are several options. One company offers a new design at 90, 94 and 102 mm.

I see a lot of anglers talk about a 94 or 96 mm handle upgrade (depending on reels). So a couple questions.

First why a longer handle at all? It doesn't change the gear ratio, one turn is one turn. The only thing that changes is the distance your fingers travel. I can see a longer handle as a leverage advantage if your reeling in Tuna with a rod holding belt, but this is bass fishing.

The second question is, if you're going to go bigger why not go all the way to a 102 mm?

And we'll put this all in one thread, so those that know can help. Are some of these handles actually lighter than stock handles? Seems to me in the day and age of making things lighter a longer handle is defeating the purpose? To me the micro weight changes are not a factor, but it's in my brain while I process all this.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

When I was using ABU Garcia's 5500C reels I replaced all the stock handles with Gator Grips.  The  No Slip Ribbed Handles and were bit longer ( I don't remember the length size ) than the stock handles were.  For me the extra length made it easier to flip and pitch.  I could grab the reel handle a lot better.  The ribbed handle were great when it rained or sweat got on the handle when throwing crankbaits and spinnerbaits. 

For me it was the comfort of the handle and ease of fighting the fish.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Capt. BassinLou

Mike, one of the first things I do after I  purchase a reel is change out the handle. All of my handles are carbon fiber. They do shave off a little bit of weight, but that's not the main reason I swap out the handles. I find the longer handles provide me with better leverage when power fishing. I use to use 102mm handles but over time the 90-94mm handles are the ideal length for my applications. Is there really an advantage using a longer handle? Maybe, but for me,  its more a preference thing and they feel better to me when handling and fighting a fish.

cortman

I know when I was using the stock 80 mm handle on my TD-Ito, I'd be cranking and occasionally I'd sort of hang up in the retrieve, where I was pushing the handle but it was short enough I wound up just pushing the handle shaft, if that makes any sense. Think about if you're trying to crank a handle of something really fast, the shorter it is the more times you'll get that. With a longer handle I feel like not only do I have more power but my retrieve is smoother, which is crucial when you're trying to suck in line as fast as possible to catch up with a fish running right at you.

bigjim5589

I recall that this was discussed one time before a few years ago. I have several Penn reels that I've used for bottom fishing & trolling and they all come with a longer handle than the ABU reels I use for bass fishing. Those longer handles do provide a bit more leverage and being longer slows down the movement I have to make to reel in the line. All that extra cranking can get tiring.

I replaced some handles on my ABU 5000 & 5600 size reels with the longer ABU, "Power Handles". For bass fishing, where I'm doing a lot of casting, I found them to be cumbersome & got in the way. Not what you want for flipping or pitching either! I kept them on some of my larger size reels for Striper fishing, and like them for that purpose, as I don't make as many casts & the longer stroke is a little less tiring when reeling in a heavy fish. Same for catfishing since casting is the least thing I want to be doing.

Otherwise, I went back to the factory handles & will stay with them.  ;)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SFL BassHunter

Mike for me its a comfort thing.

I had a a 102mm on a Shimano DC7 and it really was a big handle. I found that I liked it, BUT didn't need it to be that big. My other DC7 the one that isn't at the bottom of an everglades canal, this one has a 94 I think.
I couldn't get used to the tiny handles that come on those Shimano's stock. My big fat hands just needed some extra room.

On my Lews Team Lite I switched the handle from the stock one to a straight 90 because upon hookset I'd rip a piece of skin off the joint on my middle finger every time with the handle nut. The positioning of that curved smaller handle 85mm was killing me.

Then I got into the Daiwa's which all have come stock with 90mm except the Tactical which came with a 100MM handle. I use this reel for my punching. I like the leverage I get from the bigger handle for this technique. We punch into some really heavy stuff down here, as I suspect you do as well. That extra 10mm or so really helps winching a fish as far as comfort is concerned.

I find the 90mm on the Daiwa Tatulas is a perfect size for all my techniques and quite frankly is one of the reasons I went for the Daiwa. No need for me to "upgrade" the handle which can run you 60-70 bucks easily. If you go cheap you can get some generic chinese "carbon fiber" handles for a lot less.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

fishballer06

I'm much more comfortable using a longer handle as compared to a shorter handle. This may have to do with me having larger hands and being over 6' tall and having longer arms.

Some of the Daiwa JDM reels come with 80mm handles. I've tried using these, but they're totally unbearable to me. Up until this past year, Shimano reels were coming with 84mm handles. I found these handles bearable, but still uncomfortable. So I was upgrading my handles to the 96mm Metanium XG handles, which can be had for around $40. Now, it seems all the new Shimano reels in the Curado and Chronarch line are coming with 90mm handles, which is what Daiwa has been putting on the Tatula's. These are comfortable for me to fish and are a good all around length. They still feel a little small to me after having some other handles in the 94/96/102mm length, but they're long enough that I don't feel the need to have to replace a factory handle and thus drive up the price of a new reel.
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

Mike Cork

Great input guys, thank you.

Others please continue to jump in as well.

Has anyone not liked a longer handle?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

caddyjoe77

My opinion sits at neutral right now.  I have not tried many longer handles, or at least enough to form some kind of opinion. 

BeerMe

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: Mike Cork on July 24, 2017, 09:10:09 AM

Has anyone not liked a longer handle?

I guess I am one who does not care for them. I have tried all sorts of handles over the years and find that I like the stock size just fine. And changing to carbon fiber does not shave off enough weight to justify it for me.

So today I have only one round reel with a longer handle than stock and I don't use that reel hardly at all any more.

I don't power fish and use a rod and reel like it was a crane and wench them in if that is what power fishing is. So I have no need for increased leverage the longer handles can provide.

I also don't think I crank my drag down so tight that a longer handle would be of benefit to me. I just don't use my equipment like that in part because I use lighter line than some do with the heaviest on baitcast reels at 20 pounds and 50 only on a flippin and pitchin rod, but all others are 20 and spinning reels 10 to 15 average. So when fighting a fish I will play with the drag and back it off to avoid having the hook tear the fish' mouth and possibly have a hook torn out. So I back off on the drag once a fish is hooked and use the rod and drag for the fight. The longer handle is not needed in my opinion for what I do.

I suppose I like the shorter handles for quicker reeling. I don't reel in the fish. I reel in the slack and let the drag- my thumb on the spool- and rod bring the fish to me, and as I lower the rod tip again I reel in the line and use the rod to keep 'em moving my way. So a longer handle would work against my way of doing it.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

kadas

I guess I am in the category of it does not make much difference to me.  I have tried several of the 90 to 94 mm handles and while I certainly do not dislike them I did not feel enough positive to them to go to the expense of replacing more of my reels with them

LgMouthGambler

I have tried the longer ones for fishing, and I really just like a 84-90mm handle on my regular reels. I do have 3 reels that have longer handles, but they are for more or a power presentation. My flipping reel (Megabass IP) has a 100mm handle stock. My frogging reel (CiticaE) has a 94mm HawgTech handle. And my swimbait reel (Daiwa SV103XS) has a 102mm ZPi carbon fiber handle.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteelHorseCowboy

I'd like to try a longer reel handle for the same as what cortman mentioned; there are times when I'm reeling that I end up just pushing against the shaft rather than rotating the handle.
I have small hands for a 6' and 240lb man. Literally I mean, not comparatively. My work glove size used to be small until my motorcycle wreck mangled my left and left it permanently partially deformed and disabled. Now I wear a medium because I refuse to buy two sets of gloves, one small and one medium so that I can have a good fit for each hand.
Reading this, it seems it's the guys with larger hands that are more adamant about longer handles, so that kinda seems I'm backwards.
I do want a bit more leverage on my higher ratio reels, of which I only have two, the others are in a 5.?:1 range. But one of my higher ratio reels seems to have a child's reel handle.
Mostly though, it's when I'm reeling fast I get stopped. I'm not a "power" fisherman though, when I'm cranking the handle fast it's because I flubbed my cast and I'm either reeling in a ton of slack or just getting my lure back so I can recast as quickly as possible. But I can actually noticeably feel the difference in the gear ratios, I find the lesser effort of the lower ratios immensely more agreeable to my arthritis.

But for the prices I see on some of these longer handles? That's gonna be a ways off for me. I do have all the materials needed to see if I can make one, and I've considered it.