Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spinning or Casting Reels  (Read 470 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Spinning or Casting Reels
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »

Just been contemplating the reason for selecting spinning reels or casting reels.  I grew up in Ohio and the only reel I ever used was a spinning reel.  Later in life I moved to Maryland and once again a spinning reel was the preferred choice then on to Boston, same deal there everyone used spinning equipment, Moved to Chicago and wouldn't you know it everyone was using spinning equipment.  I had acquired some casting reels while living in New England but really did not learn to use them. 

About thirty years ago I moved here to the Carolinas and everyone in the bass fishing community here uses casting reels and although they have some spinning stuff it is not used all that often.  The inshore saltwater folks are using spinning gear but bass people are predominately casting.  I have been wondering why that is.  What ever your choice may be both methods are good but I suspect that Spinning reels fill the void for small baits or perhaps deep water drop shot style presentations but we don't have much of that here in my area.

I do find it interesting that once you get below Virginia the predominant reel is a casting reel While up north its Spinning.  I would like to see a list of thoughts from the group on why you think that is or why it makes sense.

cbburke

• Largemouth
  • Still Hunting for the Mother Bass !
Re: Spinning or Casting Reels
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:02:19 AM »

You are not the only one who noticed this,

I have several friends who live in Florida have many baitcasters but one or two spinning rods.
Others in upstate New York, It's totally the opposite. Its all spinning rods and few baitcasters.

Why, I have NO IDEA :) I guess you could say that Maryland, its 50/50 :) cuz i have the same amount of spinning/baitcasters setup.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:19:15 AM by cbburke »
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:25 AM »

If I was just gonna sit on a bucket and use live bait, I might use a spinning reel. Otherwise, I dont need one as I can make a baitcaster cast just as light of baits as a spinning reel can.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

WarriorRiverTackle

• Ultimate Basser
  • Fishin' Alabama
    • Warrior River Custom Rods
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:25:37 AM »

I don't care for spinning gear, not that there's anything wrong with them, I just don't find them comfortable. I do keep one rigged up for crappie fishing though for when the moment presents itself.

The only issue I've ever had with casting rod/reel is trying to throw a light shakyhead (under 3/16oz) with a 4" dead ringer... You can't cast them very far. Or at least I can't.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

fishballer06

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »

I'm surprised to hear this. I fish 3 different clubs here in western/central PA and you see casting reels greatly outnumbering spinning reels on the decks at weigh in. About the only people you see who are using predominately spinning gear are the bank beaters who don't know enough to even consider casting gear.

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:53 AM »

In Texas I see quite a few that use a spinning stuff. I agree the Bass community is predominantly baitcasters though.

I have several friends that as young adults tried a baitcaster and it has been a struggle to get them to even try a baitcaster now. The main reason they say is why. They aren't "specialized" they see a reel as a reel, one gives trouble, one is simple to them. They still remember the mess from that 1st backlash. lo These fellas have no conditioning to them that a bass needs to be caught on one or the other for what ever reason, or how the gear ratios or IPT are different etc. The same with rods as well. They generally just like one that feels good to them to hold and have no clue about balance, tip, power, or action.

A good comparison is my daughter. I handed her a baitcaster for the first time in her life last 4th of July, she never blinked a eye. Just asked how to use it is all. She went to slinging lures after a brief tutorial and now she likes the baitcaster.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »

I live in Upstate New York and have more baitcasting than spinning. For most things I use baitcasting but for skipping, and lightweight I use spinning. A spinning reel loaded with 15 or 20 lb braid can still throw 1/16 ounce bait a long way, 35-40 yards maybe a touch more with the wind and I find throwing into the wind they are easier to handle.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »

I have 2 Shimano spinners that I use a few times a year to a limestone lake I frequent. Other than that I use B/C's.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 08:09:17 PM »

I grew up in a time when baitcasters were for throwing big chunks for cats. The rest of our gear was spinning for walleye and trout. Bass were not on the menu so we didn't fish for them.

Now all my friend throw baitcasters for something.

The line developments are a big reason for the baitcasting reels to take off. Now you can fit #20 test on a smaller reel and not have that huge penn reel to deal with.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

I just got my first spinner and looking forward to the next one. A bigger one.
Love my baitcasters though.

1ReelFanatik

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »

If I was just gonna sit on a bucket and use live bait, I might use a spinning reel. Otherwise, I dont need one as I can make a baitcaster cast just as light of baits as a spinning reel can.

This is how I grew up (on the PA/NY border).  Minus sitting on the bucket.  I grew up in a small area.  Never saw one person with a baitcast reel in those days.

A lot of the people I meet fishing from the bank are lucky if they fish more than 4-6 times a year....if that often.  $30-$50 is about all they are willing to spend.  This will typically be a spinning combo from someplace like Walmart.  Spinning fits the Average Joe much better.  Both his pocketbook and the fact there is basically no learning curve with a spinning reel.  I'd hazard a guess that there are a lot more people like this than there are enthusiasts.

Once I tried a baitcast reel I never looked back.  Now have more spinning reels than I ever did, but only 3 have actually been used for fishing.  Haven't had one out in several years. 

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »

I use spinning gear a lot, then again I fish saltwater.  For me there is just much less maintenance after an outing with spinning gear compared to a salty bait caster.

When I chunk and wind, which I don't do much anymore, but is just about all Y'all do when bass fishing, I prefer bait casters. 

Line twist is the big reason for the different reels in my opinion, but with braids you can compensate for the twist concerns.

AND my bucket cost a lot less to maintain in gas and other parts than those aircraft carriers Y'all are standing on.  AND cheaper to replace.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »

Back in my younger days it was push button, spin cast reels from Zebco and then Mitchell 300 spinning reels.  Once out of the Military I started using baitcaster, spinning and fly reels.  Originally started out with right handed baitcasters, left spinning and left fly reels.  In my late thirties I changed everything to left handed.  While doing a lot of Club and tournament functions I had 17 rods in the rod locker of my boat.  Most were pairs tied with the same bait. Of those rods, one was spinning.
Now semi-retired I have sold off all my old rods and reels.  Today I have a total of ten combos hanging in my bass fishing rack, seven of those are baitcasters and all but two are seven feet or longer. 
BTW, I have lived in Maryland all but my Military time.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

kadas

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »

I use baitcasters pretty much all the time.  I do keep 2 spinning outfits on the boat for the wife--she wants nothing to do with a baitcaster and I am not about to try changing her way of thinking  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 23 queries.