Whats your Favorite Braid for Frogs

Started by SteveTX, July 31, 2017, 01:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

What brand, test, and color braid is your favorite? You don't have to explain why but if you want to that would be cool. I was just curious what most people are using still. Or if something revolutionary has come about and you guys are keeping it a secret.  lo

Currently I use 65lb Power Pro in Moss Green. It just seems to manage as well as others I have tried and casting I seem to get good distance. Its readily available and priced decent. I am tempted to try some other brands just to see if there is something I might like better.

So what do you guys use and are happy with? 

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FlatsNBay

50 lb. Tufline 4orce or XP. A little limper than Power Pro and super strong

Capt. BassinLou

Currently Moss green  50lb Power Pro, although I really, really liked the 65lb Power Pro Maxcuatro.

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bigjim5589

I used to use Power Pro, but switched to Sufix 832, 50 or 65 lb for jigs, and 40 for frogs. Have also used Sufix Performance & XP, and still have both on some reels. Never had any problems with PP, just liked the 832 better, even though it's a bit more costly. I've now used the 832 in 15 lb, up to 65 lb for various purposes & like them all. I had heard of folks having some problems with PP, especially in lighter test strengths, so that's what prompted me to look at other options.  ~cf
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

I guess so far Power Pro is still doing OK.  8) 4 of the 6 responses so far are using it. That Tufline 4orce has some good following I see them mentioned several places by other anglers. As for the Sufix I have used it before I think but its been awhile. I may give it and Tufline a try for something to do. Thanks for the responses.  :)   

• Power Pro
  • Power Pro
  • Tufline 4orce
  • Power Pro
  • Power Pro Super Slick
  • Sufix 832
  • Power Pro

Honorable mention
50 lb. Tufline XP
65lb Power Pro Maxcuatro
Sufix Performance & XP

Mike Cork

I'm power pro all the way, frogs, jigs, Texas rigs, anything I need/want braid for. I've read/heard anglers having issues with Power Pro but I never have. I've tried others but found no more sensitivity what so ever and castability was identical after an hour.

For me PP has never let me down, I think it's price is fair, and everyone has it. No reason to change.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

That's 5 out of 7 Power Pro. Maybe I won't play around with it. I have no real complaints about it. Was just checking to see if there may be something better I wasn't aware of.

rockchalk06

Mike Cork

I've noticed that when it comes to braid, most anglers always go back to what they started with. Seems like they are all about the same, I know the power pro maxcuato is nice and thin and casts amazing. However it's the only braid I've ever broke. I think it frays easier, so I went back to regular power pro.

Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

I am going to agree with Mike on the MaxCuattro. The diameter is nice, and the line feels nice, BUT it is the only line I have broke while hooksetting a frog on a fish last week.
This will make the second line break I have had on that line. The first one was on a worm not a frog. I am talking about the 50 maxcuattro. This had to be due to a fray somewhere between the frog and my rod because it wasn't at the knot. I lost a little line on that hookset along with a frog and a big bass.
I haven't had an issue with the 65 yet.

Personally after that experience I think I will be going back to regular PP. I never had an issue with regular PP 50.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

ccr425

Power Pro original 50# and 65# depending on conditions.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: rickdelprado on July 31, 2017, 09:58:48 AM
I am going to agree with Mike on the MaxCuattro. The diameter is nice, and the line feels nice, BUT it is the only line I have broke while hooksetting a frog on a fish last week.
This will make the second line break I have had on that line. The first one was on a worm not a frog. I am talking about the 50 maxcuattro. This had to be due to a fray somewhere between the frog and my rod because it wasn't at the knot. I lost a little line on that hookset along with a frog and a big bass.

Personally after that experience I think I will be going back to regular PP. I never had an issue with regular PP 50.
Ha... I'm the complete opposite. I have broken regular Power Pro and not once on Max Cuatro. But then again I have fished with regular power pro for YEARS... you are bound to break braid at one point or another if you throw it a lot.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rickdelprado on July 31, 2017, 09:58:48 AM

Its got to be your Hulk/fumbling hooksets.  ~bb

lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

bravo619

Power pro #30 we don't have big lily pads here just here and there. Never been able to break one off yet. Knock on wood.

-- "Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 31, 2017, 11:49:48 AM
Ha... I'm the complete opposite. I have broken regular Power Pro and not once on Max Cuatro. But then again I have fished with regular power pro for YEARS... you are bound to break braid at one point or another if you throw it a lot.

I've used regular PP for longer than maxcuattro, so for me to have 2 failures on maxcuattro in such a short amount of time... :(

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on July 31, 2017, 12:49:54 PM
Its got to be your Hulk/fumbling hooksets.  ~bb
lo
My frog hooksets used to be weak and slow and Lou kept harping on that for my missed fish. So I hulked up my frog sets and now they are too strong! JEEESH!
~roflmao
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Late to the party but I use 50 - 65 lb Spiderwire Glo-Vis. I use the hi-vis because it is easier for my aging eyes to see and I don't believe it matters to the fish at all.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Updated list from responses, is pretty telling.  ;)

• Power Pro
  • Power Pro
  • Tufline 4orce
  • Power Pro
  • Power Pro Super Slick
  • Sufix 832
  • Power Pro
  • Power Pro Maxcuatro
  • Power Pro
  • Power Pro
  • Power Pro Maxcuatro
  • Power Pro
  • Spiderwire Glo-Vis
  • Power Pro

Capt. BassinLou

Steve, the poll feature would have been a great option for you for this post.

DonM

I'm another Power Pro guy.  I also like the MaxCuantro PP.
I tried the Glo-Vis but broke it several times, so took it off and threw it away.  If you break a line on the little baby bass I tend to catch, there must be a problem!  :)
DonM

SteveTX

Quote from: Bassinlou on July 31, 2017, 07:14:03 PM
Steve, the poll feature would have been a great option for you for this post.

I would have and was going to but then I would have had to try and gather all the names of the braid to insert into the poll. Also I was trying to see if there was some brand I wasnt aware of people liked.

Knowing me I would have missed a brand someone was using anyway. And that is a lot of work listing them all. :P  lo

Playing Monday morning QB I only needed what 6 options on the poll. I bet there is 50 different ones out there. And I probably still wouldn't have gotten ones like Phenix Rods Hydra on the poll. I never even heard of some of this Phenix stuff until Matt from Tacticalbassin had it in a video.

kadas

Mike Cork

I don't necessarily fault the Maxcautro just hurt my confidence quickly so I went back.

Surprisingly there is only one vote for Suffix. Locally it's very popular.

Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 01, 2017, 09:20:10 AM
Surprisingly there is only one vote for Suffix. Locally it's very popular.
I noticed that as well. Suffix is used by quite a few guys here as well based on I notice the changing amounts on the pegs in the store. Suffix was one I was thinking I going to try again it had been so long I don't remember why I don't use it. You would think if it was so horrible the reason would have stuck with me. I really like the Camo color they have I guess its the redneck part of me.  lo