New State Record Bowfin Caught By Teen Angler

Started by Smallie_Stalker, August 02, 2017, 04:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

Masswildlife Monthly - August 2017

New State Record for Bowfin Caught By Taunton Teen Angler

Tauri Adamczyk, a 16-year-old from Taunton, is the new state record holder for bowfin. Tauri caught a 7 lb. 14 oz. bowfin with a girth of 14" and length of 26.5" from the Taunton River in late July.  She brought her monster catch to the MassWildlife Field Headquarters for fisheries biologists to certify her catch and state record. Tauri is no stranger to the Sportfishing Awards Program —she has been catching pin fish for years and garnering gold pins in the Youth Category of this program. Tauri was also named the 2015 Youth Angler of the Year, an award given annually to the youth angler who caught the most species of gold pin fish.

In 2015, Bowfin were added as an eligible fish to MassWildlife's Freshwater Sportfishing Awards Program. While most Massachusetts anglers have never caught one of these prehistoric battlers – and in fact many anglers have never even heard of this fish and wouldn't know one if they caught one – the Bowfin is gathering an ever-increasing number of fans who admire its outstanding fighting qualities, exotic appearance, large potential size, interesting life history, and its propensity to strike baits and lures. Currently, Bowfin populations are limited to the Connecticut River and Taunton River drainages and a few isolated ponds throughout the state. The Catch and Keep minimum weight is 6 pounds for adults and 4 pounds for youth. The Catch and Release minimum length is 26 inches.

To learn more about Bowfin, check out a recent featured article in Massachusetts Wildlife magazine entitled, Bring on the Bowfin!

Anglers who believe they have broken a state record by weight must present their fish in its entirety (whole) to qualified fisheries personnel at MassWildlife Field Headquarters in Westborough or at any of the five MassWildlife District offices .

In 2015, a catch and release category was added to the Sportfishing Awards Program. Since then, MassWildlife has also recorded catch and release state records.

Anglers may submit their catch and release catches for consideration by measuring, photographing, and releasing their fish on site

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Smallie_Stalker

To be honest I didn't even know we had bowfin here in MA. I'm 57 and have been fishing since I was just out of diapers and I don't recall ever seeing one caught.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

zippyduck

Come down my way and you can catch more than you want. They can destroy your bait in a heart beat.

That is a very cool story.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Mike Cork

Bowfin are fun to catch! Congrats to her, that was a good fight for sure!

We've got a very large population of them here. They call them grunnel. And I think they are born about 7 pounds  :surrender:

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

DonM

Grinnel (Bowfin) around here EAT 7 pounders!  :)
DonM

coldfront

Quote from: DonM on August 03, 2017, 12:46:58 AM
Grinnel (Bowfin) around here EAT 7 pounders!  :)

does that also explain lack of small gators?

Donald Garner

They're fun to catch if you're not fishing a tournament :surrender:  They are mean hard fighting fish for sure. I can't count the number of Spinnerbaits I've had trashed  ~xyz   I've not seen any here on Belton or Stillhouse but I've caught my share while fishing the Oxbows off the Mississippi River near St. Louis and while living in Louisiana.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard