Brand new broken rod ... not again.

Started by basss, August 04, 2017, 09:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basss

Was excited and have been waiting all week to get my first Dobyns rods.  I knew they were waiting for me at home because I saw they were delivered on the tracking site.

When I got home, I notice one tube was quite damaged and I feared the worst.  Opened it up and, yup, the rod is broken. Sum@##tch, WTF!!!!

How in the hell do you crush a pvc pipe and pinch it so bad it breaks the rod inside?

No fishing on that rod for me this weekend.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Mike Cork

:shocking: Wow

Gary always tells me that they could save money on shipping by using a cardboard tube but he was afraid the delivery services would break half of them. I chuckle and say that it can't be that bad. Every time Gary gets a stone cold look on his face and proceeds to show me photos of tubes with full sized tire tracks on them, pipes like yours that are bent in half. I couldn't bend a pipe like that in half on purpose. TO crease one like yours, something heavy and sharp had to fall on it...

Dude I'm sorry this happened, but it will get taken care of quickly. Call the shop and send them the photos and they'll get another one out asap.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Delivery drivers have got some gonads even delivering that.  ~xyz
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Polaris425

I wish you could have been home waiting when he walked up on your door step..

Of course he probably would have given you the "it was like that when I got it" story.

I worry about that every time I package a rod, especially custom built ones.... I try to always take the Lee Smith approach.

Plus, I write FRAGILE all over the tube 100 times.

I may start writing something like, if you break this, I will find you, and beat you silly w/ the broken contents inside. lol
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

rockchalk06

I've starting having every package delivered to office. I inspect each one on the exterior. If it looks like a gorilla played kickball with it, I refuse the package and contact the seller.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: rockchalk06 on August 04, 2017, 09:45:37 AM
I've starting having every package delivered to office. I inspect each one on the exterior. If it looks like a gorilla played kickball with it, I refuse the package and contact the seller.

Very good practice! ~c~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

basss

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 04, 2017, 09:30:31 AM
:shocking: Wow

Gary always tells me that they could save money on shipping by using a cardboard tube but he was afraid the delivery services would break half of them. I chuckle and say that it can't be that bad. Every time Gary gets a stone cold look on his face and proceeds to show me photos of tubes with full sized tire tracks on them, pipes like yours that are bent in half. I couldn't bend a pipe like that in half on purpose. TO crease one like yours, something heavy and sharp had to fall on it...

Dude I'm sorry this happened, but it will get taken care of quickly. Call the shop and send them the photos and they'll get another one out asap.

I sent them an email with essentially what I posted here, pics and all; should I call too?
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

SFL BassHunter

Dang that is one messed up pvc pipe. I'll be honest I have no clue how to even make a PVC pipe bend like that. Sorry about the rod.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Quote from: basss on August 04, 2017, 09:56:30 AM
I sent them an email with essentially what I posted here, pics and all; should I call too?

They will take care of it via email. If you don't hear back by Monday, I'd call so that they can process and get one out to you so you'll have it for next weekend.

It might be tough getting a hold of someone today. I think the shop is very minimal manned today.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bassmanstan

Yeah, I had one similar, pipe was broken clean in two, they had taped it back together, thankfully the rod was ok in that one though. Can't say enough about how well Gary packs his rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

Its usually not the driver, but rather the conveyor belt system they use. Long tube gets stuck, and well, you see the rest. I know when Lee sends me rods he writes on them "DO NOT CONVEY". Now weather that helps or not, I  dont know.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

basss

Quote from: bassmanstan on August 04, 2017, 10:15:58 AM
... Can't say enough about how well Gary packs his rods ...

That's for sure, even the tip had a foam piece over it.  I've never seen packing so good.  After I opened the first one-that was undamaged- I open the broken one hoping Gary's packing may have saved it.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

coldfront

Quote from: basss on August 04, 2017, 09:56:30 AM

I would.  Not because Dobyns won't support you... but you should give them every opportunity to fight this effectively with the shipper.  That can be best done with person-to-person contact.

they'll take care of you... do whatever  you can to take care of them now and in future...

makes me wonder:  i've received plenty of rods in tubes from 'other places' and never had an issue.
Just lucky?

basss

Quote from: rickdelprado on August 04, 2017, 10:04:21 AM
Dang that is one messed up pvc pipe. I'll be honest I have no clue how to even make a PVC pipe bend like that. Sorry about the rod.

I know right, how do you do that to pvc pipe?  something heavy had to be dropped on it, I'm thinking.  The rod was flat below the break so something had to flatten it.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

Lee Smith

Had one that that must have fell out of a plane and landed on the end one time, still don't know how that happened  :-\

It happens, conveyors and doors are usually the culprit and from my understanding, if it gets to the shipping facility closest to the delivery point, it has to go.  ~rant
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Capt. BassinLou

Sorry about your rod, that definitely leaves a sick feeling in your stomach. Fortunately, Dobyns will take care of you.

SteveTX

I agree that Gary does a awesome job packaging his rods. They are packaged better than any place  I have ordered from. How anyone could break a rod in a tube like he uses is beyond me. Honestly imho it is neglect from employee shipping it or intentional. I've bought several rods from about 5 different places and the only issue I've had is the caps coming off but never a broke rod. Hopefully your next one will make it.

ccr425

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 04, 2017, 10:55:42 AM
Its usually not the driver, but rather the conveyor belt system they use. Long tube gets stuck, and well, you see the rest. I know when Lee sends me rods he writes on them "DO NOT CONVEY". Now weather that helps or not, I  dont know.
This, exactly!

SteelHorseCowboy

I work with PVC all the time, schedule 20, 40, and 80.
I've never seen even the schedule 20 pinch and collapse like that without breaking unless it was hot.

FISH520

Ouch. That's a bummer but good job not freaking out and going postal on someone!

zippyduck

I am a calm cool person but don't let me see that at my door.
Hope you see your replacement soon.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

Geez man, sorry that had to happen. At least it was a Dobyns so you know they will take care of you.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bobsquatch13

Have been buying Dobyns rods for years now, with packing being superb in heavy pvc and have never had a damaged one come in, nor even the tube with any damage at all. Guess I've been lucky. I'm sure Dobyns will handle this for you quickly, they are an excellent company! Sorry for the time you have to wait now.

basss

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on August 04, 2017, 01:58:23 PM
I work with PVC all the time, schedule 20, 40, and 80.
I've never seen even the schedule 20 pinch and collapse like that without breaking unless it was hot.

If only the tube could talk ...
1995 Gheenoe Highsider

basss

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 04, 2017, 11:34:32 AM
Sorry about your rod, that definitely leaves a sick feeling in your stomach. Fortunately, Dobyns will take care of you.

Thank you sir, don't doubt Dobyns will address appropriately.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider