Fishing braided line with or without a leader?

Started by beanx, August 05, 2017, 04:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanx

I'm pretty new to fishing I have a new lews speed spool I loaded up with braid and was just curious on how much of a difference using a leader makes when fishing a jig or a Texas rig? I figured it probably doesn't make much difference on a chatterbait, spinnerbait or buzz bait. I've watched YouTube videos of pros who say they hardly ever will use a leader when fishing braided line even when using Texas rigs or jigs but didn't know how much of an effect this would have on visibility and the fact that braid floats I've heard?

Thanks in advance guys!

hubcap91

I use  a leader on anything that is not a moving bait. Sometimes in stained water I go straight braid but in clear water I use a fluoro leader. The exception to this is when I'm flipping heavy cover I use straight braid. I'm definitely not a professional though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LgMouthGambler

The only advantage I can see with a fluoro leader for braid is if you are putting the bait somewhere that has a structure that is abrasive. Braid is easily cut, so rocky areas and thick timber could present some issues.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Capt. BassinLou

Welcome to Ultimate Bass, to fish with a leader or no leader is a popular topic. You will find one group that swears by leaders, you will have the other group that swear by no leaders. My advice is to fish with a leader for a bit and then without. Let your experience be your guide.

FISH520

I'm a no leader fisherman. The waters i fish are not clear and even if they were i'm still up in the about if it matters to the fish.

FloridaFishinFool

Quote from: FISH520 on August 05, 2017, 06:30:23 AM
I'm a no leader fisherman. The waters i fish are not clear and even if they were i'm still up in the about if it matters to the fish.

Dittos X2. No leaders. I gave up on them years ago. Braid from reel to lure now.

The leader is usually the weakest link and is where the break will happen if you lose a fish. One of my fishing buddies swears by leaders, and swears at them every time he loses a fish. I just keep my mouth shut and bite my tongue to try and hold back the laugh each time... and as he gets madder about it he will sometimes say I know you don't use leaders and I will be thinking and yeah, I don't lose fish like that either!

One day I was fishing a crystal clear spring fed lake and for those who think the braid line scares the fish I watched as small baby bass were actually swimming up to my braid line pecking it at it to see if it were something they could eat. They showed absolutely no fear of the line at all.

So I am firmly now in the no leader camp and staying put.
Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

j102

For Bass Fishing I use braid without a leader most of the time.
But don't listen to me, we need to find out what Tress is doing. He is at 100" in just 5 days.

SteelHorseCowboy

I just recently switched to braid and mostly use TX rigged worms. Haven't noticed a difference. I fish in stained water, and I'm not an experienced bass fisherman at all.

Pacific NW Ron

In my mind I agree that a leader, and the extra knots are a weak link in the system.  I'm a no leader guy for bass fishing.  I don't think fish see the line on any action bait.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

SFL BassHunter

I don't use leaders, I have found them to be a point of failure. I do have spools with mono that I can put in my reels if I am going to fish a place with clear water.

I rather have a rod with braid and a rod with mono or fluoro than 1 rod with a leader.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

big g

I don't like leaders and don't use them.  Only use braid in heavy cover, flipping and pitching.  In clear water I use Floro.  Top water I use mono. 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

kadas

Quote from: big g on August 05, 2017, 11:21:55 AM
I don't like leaders and don't use them.  Only use braid in heavy cover, flipping and pitching.  In clear water I use Floro.  Top water I use mono.
Agree with big g and his thinking--I do not like leaders either so if I am fishing pretty clear water I will use floro or mono if I think about it  :)   not sure that it is an issue to me. Braid winds up getting fished most of the time no matter the clarity of the water

Smallie_Stalker

Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable. 

Here is my personal opinion. I gave up using leaders a few years back. I fish hi-vis braid in some of the clearest water on the face of the earth and I don't believe it has ever cost me any fish. Also consider that a leader adds an extra knot to the equation and that a knot is (arguably) the weakest link in your chain so the more knots you have the more chances for problems you have.
Now having said that, as LMG pointed out abrasive objects can tear up braid pretty quick. In those instances I would go straight flouro. And as Bassinlou said you should try it for yourself and see what works best for you. Again, this is just my opinion and what I have found to work best for me.

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Member's Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire