Bluegill Swimbait

Started by MarkusBett18, August 06, 2017, 10:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

Howdy! I live in New Hampshire Where there are Bluegill In every single pond and lake around... So i'm looking to get a Bluegill Swimbait. Being that i'm only 15 I don't have a ton of money to work with. My budget is around $15 but I want something that will look real, and swims realistically. If anyone here has any hookups or has any advice on what the best Bluegill Swimbait for the price I would be extremely appreciative. Thank you everyone for your help, you all have been extremely helpful through everything!

-Markus
><(((º>        <º)))><

fishballer06

Check out the MattLures Ultimate Bluegill series. You might have to jump up to the $20-25 range, but that's the best you'll get for your price range. 
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

cortman

Or you could look at Academy's panfish swimbaits- beautiful paint jobs, quality hooks and they are only about $5-$6 a piece. I own several.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

LiveTarget has a Sunfish Swimbait in the 10-12 dollar range. That won't break the bank. I have used the shiner version of it and the tail has a good swimming action. Unfortunately I can't tell you if they hold up or not, or if they catch fish lol. They look about as real as any other live target lure though.
Maybe someone with more experience with these could chime in with their thoughts.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

LgMouthGambler

Wordens rooster tail $2.99. Use that to catch the bluegill. Then stick a hook through the bluegill and catch the bass.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Smallie_Stalker

I have used both the Live Target and thee Matt Lures here in MA with good results. I know LMG was kidding with you but don't fish with live bluegill as bait in New Hampshire. It's illegal and the fine is pretty steep if you get caught.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on August 07, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
I have used both the Live Target and thee Matt Lures here in MA with good results. I know LMG was kidding with you but don't fish with live bluegill as bait in New Hampshire. It's illegal and the fine is pretty steep if you get caught.
Was he kidding? Lol
Bluegill as bait is legal in some states.

zippyduck

Make sure that you have a rod that can handle a lure that big. No fun casting and the rod breaks.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

MarkusBett18

7' 3" Med Heavy good enough?
><(((º>        <º)))><

njpaulc

Storm has a Bluegill, a Sunfish, and a Crappie in their wildeye series of soft plastic swimbaits.  Various sizes, about $6. a package.  Also, try a swimjig, a square bill or a wakebait.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: MarkusBett18 on August 07, 2017, 08:21:01 PM
7' 3" Med Heavy good enough?

You'll want to look at the lure rating on the rod. MH's come in different ratings. Some stiffer than others, some can handle bigger lures than others.

You should see the oz-oz rating on it because the tip also has to do with what the rod can throw. Then you need to get a lure that fits into that rating.

For example I have a MH that is rated for up to 5/8oz and another rated for up to 1oz. The difference there for example, on one I can throw the 110 whopper plopper and on the other it isn't recommended.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 07, 2017, 09:03:58 AM
Wordens rooster tail $2.99. Use that to catch the bluegill. Then stick a hook through the bluegill and catch the bass.  lo

Winning!
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

West6550

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 07, 2017, 09:03:58 AM
Lmao

West6550

Quote from: cortman on August 07, 2017, 07:50:54 AM
Or you could look at Academy's panfish swimbaits- beautiful paint jobs, quality hooks and they are only about $5-$6 a piece. I own several.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
This^