Reel Differences questions,probably stupid...

Started by TWBryan, August 11, 2017, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TWBryan

Took break from re-assembling clothes dryer so I figured I'd start asking stupid questions. I'm planning to get a tatula next month,but I'm confused over the various species. There are ct's,ct-r's,svsohl, and the tactical. What is tactical about a fishing reel? I figure the last one is a ploy on Daiwa's part to paint a reel black and charge more for it.

Seriously though,I really wouldn't know if I am buying an old or new version. I know I want one with a 7.3:1 gear ration,and an aluminum frame. Beyond that the letter and number codes are gibberish.

Getting my stuff together to try initial foray,tackle trays getting filled,license in hand,I even painted red eyes on my "demonic Daffy" lure. ;)

Appreciate any assistance in sorting this out .Thanks for looking. :)
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: TWBryan on August 11, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Took break from re-assembling clothes dryer so I figured I'd start asking stupid questions. I'm planning to get a tatula next month,but I'm confused over the various species. There are ct's,ct-r's,svsohl, and the tactical. What is tactical about a fishing reel? I figure the last one is a ploy on Daiwa's part to paint a reel black and charge more for it.

Seriously though,I really wouldn't know if I am buying an old or new version. I know I want one with a 7.3:1 gear ration,and an aluminum frame. Beyond that the letter and number codes are gibberish.

Getting my stuff together to try initial foray,tackle trays getting filled,license in hand,I even painted red eyes on my "demonic Daffy" lure. ;)

Appreciate any assistance in sorting this out .Thanks for looking. :)

The Tatula's come in 2 sizes. The Tatula Series, and the Tatula CT models.
The Tatula Tactical is a matte black colored reel specifically sold by Tackle Warehouse. This reel is the older style reel which is bigger and bulkier than the CT variety. It has a Type R spool, a longer handle and a zaion drag star (which is like a carbon graphite material). Essentially it is a modified version of the Type R. It is a fantastic reel. It's smooth just like all the other Tatula's, it has a ton of cracking power, and the bigger handle in my opinion is great for what I use it for. I use the reel for punching/pitching into heavy cover.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/tatula/index.html

The Tatula Type R, is basically a Tatula 100 Series with a Type R spool. It's a little bit lighter spool and is supposed to cast further.

Then you have the CT Series. In this series you have the CT, CT Type R, SV TW. The spools are slightly smaller than the Tatula 100 series to go with the more compact frame. 
The CT is the equivalent of the Tatula 100 but more compact.
The CT Type R is = to the Tatula Type R, but more compact.
The SV TW has no = because there is no Tatula SV in a larger size. The SV has an SV spool and has a higher end brake system. The CT has Magforce Z, and the SV has Magforce Air.

They all have an all aluminum frame.

The SV TW is the newest of the bunch. The CT and CT Type R are next, and then the Tatula 100 series are the old models.

Unless you have large hands you'll find the CT models more comfortable as they fit real nice in your hand and palm well. I have large hands and can use either model, I still prefer the smaller CT versions for my every day fishing.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

zippyduck

Look at Rick Go. Nicely Done.

Now the real question, what are you going to use it for?
Some are better at some techniques. But they all can do anything.

The CT, CT type R, and the tactical I would use for moving baits and anything you want longer casts with as they hold more line. I have spooled my Tatula SV.
The Tatula SV is my go to reel for in close stuff and light lures. More control with the SV system. Great for skipping and pitching. And you will be able to cast light lures in heavy winds with a lot less backlash.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

LMG I figured you'd be impressed lol.

Zippy also my experience has been that the smaller CT models cast lighter lures slightly better than the Tatula 100 models. Like you mentioned the Larger models hold more line and are perfect for bigger lures. Like bombing a 1oz whopper plopper cause you have more line. Though quite frankly even on the CT models you can get a heck of a long distance casting those big lures, just have to be more conscious about hitting backing.

Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

TWBryan

Rick,I greatly appreciate your response,I may copy paste it so I do not forget it.  I figure I will be looking for a Tatula CT SV. Smaller reel,better braking system. The sv spool is lighter so it can cast lighter lures easier? I think I recall reading that somewhere here.  Cracking power?

Zippyduck, I prefer spinnerbaits,plastic worms, and top-waters. Never liked crankbaits. Purpose for reel is,general purpose. Will manage everything ,but weightless plastic which I have a spinning rig for.

LG,I would say the same...

zippyduck

That is my favorite but I spooled it with a spinnerbait. And you may want to try weightless with it. I have one that I only throw flukes and senkos on. Skipping and long casts on the same setting.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

flowerjohn

Quote from: rickdelprado on August 11, 2017, 05:15:16 PM
The Tatula's come in 2 sizes. The Tatula Series, and the Tatula CT models.
The Tatula Tactical is a matte black colored reel specifically sold by Tackle Warehouse. This reel is the older style reel which is bigger and bulkier than the CT variety. It has a Type R spool, a longer handle and a zaion drag star (which is like a carbon graphite material). Essentially it is a modified version of the Type R. It is a fantastic reel. It's smooth just like all the other Tatula's, it has a ton of cracking power, and the bigger handle in my opinion is great for what I use it for. I use the reel for punching/pitching into heavy cover.
http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/reels/tatula/index.html

The Tatula Type R, is basically a Tatula 100 Series with a Type R spool. It's a little bit lighter spool and is supposed to cast further.

Then you have the CT Series. In this series you have the CT, CT Type R, SV TW. The spools are slightly smaller than the Tatula 100 series to go with the more compact frame. 
The CT is the equivalent of the Tatula 100 but more compact.
The CT Type R is = to the Tatula Type R, but more compact.
The SV TW has no = because there is no Tatula SV in a larger size. The SV has an SV spool and has a higher end brake system. The CT has Magforce Z, and the SV has Magforce Air.

They all have an all aluminum frame.

The SV TW is the newest of the bunch. The CT and CT Type R are next, and then the Tatula 100 series are the old models.

Unless you have large hands you'll find the CT models more comfortable as they fit real nice in your hand and palm well. I have large hands and can use either model, I still prefer the smaller CT versions for my every day fishing.

RDP that was brilliant man!!! And... you didn't even bust the thread.

Message sent via the FC Network.

TWBryan

Zippyduck,that's I do like spinnerbaits for throwing in weeds. :D

Found a Daiwa Tatula ct 100xs for roughly $85 on evilbay. I'll probably go for a Tatula for that kind of money. 

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: TWBryan on August 11, 2017, 05:57:34 PM
Rick,I greatly appreciate your response,I may copy paste it so I do not forget it.  I figure I will be looking for a Tatula CT SV. Smaller reel,better braking system. The sv spool is lighter so it can cast lighter lures easier? I think I recall reading that somewhere here.  Cracking power?

Zippyduck, I prefer spinnerbaits,plastic worms, and top-waters. Never liked crankbaits. Purpose for reel is,general purpose. Will manage everything ,but weightless plastic which I have a spinning rig for.

LG,I would say the same...

My experience so far has been that all the tatulas have good cranking power. Making bringing a fish in nice and easy and easy to get them up and turned your way.
Because they are powerful reels, you can throw a big spinnerbait with big blades with ease, retrieving a lure like that is easier on these reels than other reels I have. Even at higher gear ratios.

Quote from: flowerjohn on August 11, 2017, 06:11:09 PM
RDP that was brilliant man!!! And... you didn't even bust the thread.

Message sent via the FC Network.

~roflmao
Florida Bass Fishing

TWBryan

FISH520

Rickdeldaiwa!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk