Grassy Pond Suggestions

Started by MattC94, August 11, 2017, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC94

Alright folks looking for some suggestions on a grassy pond as the title says! the pond isn't a monster size pond but is a decent size with lots a nice thick milfoil patches and the bottom is a mix between muck and grass with the majority of it being a muck bottom with some thinner grass patches that don't break the surface but are maybe 6-10" off the bottom. I've had some success there swimming a 4.8" Keitech Impact Fat through some of the thicker grass patches or along the edge or between the patches in hopes of a big girl coming to grab the Keitech. This pond does in fact hold some monster bass in it so I know there's fish and QUALITY fish at that just last year right before winter hit they drained the water like every year and a guy walked out maybe 5-6ft before getting to the waters edge and slammed a 9lber so I know there's some HUGE fish in there but sorta puzzled on what else to throw and hopefully that's where you guys in come to help! I've tried spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, even some jigs but it's tough at times with a jig since a couple times I've got them hung up on bottom in the grass and have tried a wacky rigged senko without much success except for maybe 2-3 fish but no real size so looking for some suggestions on what maybe else I should try or do differently? I'm not looking to go out at catch a 7lber although that'd be awesome just would like to have some more frequent success! Looking forward to hearing what you guys have for some ideas or your thoughts! I've crossed treble hook baits completely off my list just due to grass.

Thanks, Matt

cortman

I fish ponds much like the one you described, and here's what I catch bigger fish on:

1. Texas rigged beaver bait- I prefer the Netbait B-Bug. This won't work so well deep in thick grass but works excellent around the edges and where it isn't quite as thick.
2. Weightless fluke. Dart it around over the submerged weed beds. This is a real producer this time of year.
3. Buzzbait. I'm constantly amazed the size of fish and the time of day I can catch them on a buzzbait. Today was a great example, mostly sunny, just after a lot of rain, temps in the upper 80's, and I caught 10 in 45 minutes, biggest was about 5.25 lbs.

Good luck!

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: MattC94 on August 11, 2017, 09:56:46 PM
Alright folks looking for some suggestions on a grassy pond as the title says! the pond isn't a monster size pond but is a decent size with lots a nice thick milfoil patches and the bottom is a mix between muck and grass with the majority of it being a muck bottom with some thinner grass patches that don't break the surface but are maybe 6-10" off the bottom. I've had some success there swimming a 4.8" Keitech Impact Fat through some of the thicker grass patches or along the edge or between the patches in hopes of a big girl coming to grab the Keitech. This pond does in fact hold some monster bass in it so I know there's fish and QUALITY fish at that just last year right before winter hit they drained the water like every year and a guy walked out maybe 5-6ft before getting to the waters edge and slammed a 9lber so I know there's some HUGE fish in there but sorta puzzled on what else to throw and hopefully that's where you guys in come to help! I've tried spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, even some jigs but it's tough at times with a jig since a couple times I've got them hung up on bottom in the grass and have tried a wacky rigged senko without much success except for maybe 2-3 fish but no real size so looking for some suggestions on what maybe else I should try or do differently? I'm not looking to go out at catch a 7lber although that'd be awesome just would like to have some more frequent success! Looking forward to hearing what you guys have for some ideas or your thoughts! I've crossed treble hook baits completely off my list just due to grass.

Thanks, Matt

Matt if you've had success with the Keitech, get a swimjig, and put a keitech on it. Increase the size of your presentation on that Keitech thats working for you, give it a new look, making it bulkier to maybe attract some of those bigger bass and work it the same way you did the keitech.

The senko will catch fish of all sizes including the big ones. You just gotta put it in front of them. But it will catch fish of all sizes including the smaller fish.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Quote from: cortman on August 11, 2017, 10:04:09 PM
...  I caught 10 in 45 minutes, biggest was about 5.25 lbs.

Wow. Now that's a honey hole.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

FlatsNBay

I would add a Zoom Horny Toad fished at dawn or dusk.  It's a great big fish bait.

MattC94

Quote from: rickdelprado on August 12, 2017, 06:00:54 AM
Matt if you've had success with the Keitech, get a swimjig, and put a keitech on it. Increase the size of your presentation on that Keitech thats working for you, give it a new look, making it bulkier to maybe attract some of those bigger bass and work it the same way you did the keitech.

The senko will catch fish of all sizes including the big ones. You just gotta put it in front of them. But it will catch fish of all sizes including the smaller fish.

What size Keitech should I throw on the back of the swim jig? Just continue using a 4.8" Impact Fat or down size to a 3.8" Impact Fat since I'll be adding the bulkier profile with the skirt and all? Also should I keep with a traditional or standard size 3/8oz for the swim jig or down size to a 1/4oz swim jig and add the Keitech trailer to it so it doesn't dog down deep into the grass and bury itself and snag me up or would that be something to use as a retrieve, letting it sink into that grass and ripping it out to a slow retrieve trying to get that type of reaction bite? I've always questioned about using the bigger heavier weights around that thick stuff in fear of always snagging up with a jig because it seems like that weed guard every jig has is NO match to weeds and always snags up. I've dragged a 3/8oz Nutech Jig on the bottom a couple of times to try out and it would snag up every time but it that maybe something I should continue to do or want to happen?
Thanks, Matt

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: MattC94 on August 13, 2017, 09:23:08 PM
What size Keitech should I throw on the back of the swim jig? Just continue using a 4.8" Impact Fat or down size to a 3.8" Impact Fat since I'll be adding the bulkier profile with the skirt and all? Also should I keep with a traditional or standard size 3/8oz for the swim jig or down size to a 1/4oz swim jig and add the Keitech trailer to it so it doesn't dog down deep into the grass and bury itself and snag me up or would that be something to use as a retrieve, letting it sink into that grass and ripping it out to a slow retrieve trying to get that type of reaction bite? I've always questioned about using the bigger heavier weights around that thick stuff in fear of always snagging up with a jig because it seems like that weed guard every jig has is NO match to weeds and always snags up. I've dragged a 3/8oz Nutech Jig on the bottom a couple of times to try out and it would snag up every time but it that maybe something I should continue to do or want to happen?
Thanks, Matt

A Swimjig with a 3.8" swimbait trailer has a nice even profile of game fish. But... if the bass have an appetite on that outing, trying out the 4.8" might give you a big surprise.

MattC94

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 14, 2017, 07:22:59 AM
A Swimjig with a 3.8" swimbait trailer has a nice even profile of game fish. But... if the bass have an appetite on that outing, trying out the 4.8" might give you a big surprise.

Alright, now what about having a contrasting color to the jig skirt? should I keep the trailer the same as the swim jig skirt it would it be better to maybe do something that's a different color or something that's sorta similar but a bit different? if that makes sense! Typically this pond has water that's pretty clear id say maybe 1-2ft visibility so naturally I've stuck with your natural style colors to match the bluegill forage that's there since that's the main forage but there's also some FAT FAT FAT carp in there, I assume there grass carp but I was told by a guy that fishes there once and awhile that he thinks the bass are eating on the juvenile carp and that's why they're getting so big and when I say big I mean big for a north eastern bass, just before the water got hard at this pond last year a guy managed to catch himself a fat 8 1/2lber and it looked like every bit of 8lbs from the couple of photos I seen so maybe they are eating the baby carp? maybe someone has some knowledge or info on this? definitely would like to hear more! I just know the quality is in this pond and would like to try and capitalize on that! A lot of the guys who fish there will only fish frogs and that's it so I'm trying to go under the surface and show them something they've E ever seen or not use to seeing at least! Looking forward to hearing from you guys! keep the good info/tips coming!
Thanks, Matt

Polaris425

In ponds like that I've had to most success (for numbers) on a weightless texas rigged worm.
Size/Density of the plastic will determine fall rate and sometimes make a difference.

I've caught some decent sized bass too on them, some 3-4 lbers.

But great for numbers.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: MattC94 on August 14, 2017, 09:04:11 PM
Alright, now what about having a contrasting color to the jig skirt? should I keep the trailer the same as the swim jig skirt it would it be better to maybe do something that's a different color or something that's sorta similar but a bit different? if that makes sense! Typically this pond has water that's pretty clear id say maybe 1-2ft visibility so naturally I've stuck with your natural style colors to match the bluegill forage that's there since that's the main forage but there's also some FAT FAT FAT carp in there, I assume there grass carp but I was told by a guy that fishes there once and awhile that he thinks the bass are eating on the juvenile carp and that's why they're getting so big and when I say big I mean big for a north eastern bass, just before the water got hard at this pond last year a guy managed to catch himself a fat 8 1/2lber and it looked like every bit of 8lbs from the couple of photos I seen so maybe they are eating the baby carp? maybe someone has some knowledge or info on this? definitely would like to hear more! I just know the quality is in this pond and would like to try and capitalize on that! A lot of the guys who fish there will only fish frogs and that's it so I'm trying to go under the surface and show them something they've E ever seen or not use to seeing at least! Looking forward to hearing from you guys! keep the good info/tips coming!
Thanks, Matt

Experimenting with contrasting jigs may get you the strikes you are looking for. Try it, let the fish be your guide.

Stren_g

I've been doing well with a stanley ribbit, flukes, and weightless plastics of all shapes and sizes. Those big bass can make it through pretty thick grass for a meal.

SteveTX

I agree with the Toad. Zoom or Stanley Original or Top Toad are all great weedless baits that pull a healthier fish more often than not. They also work at all levels of the water column depending on how you fish it. Definitely toads are one of my go to slop pond baits.

Almost all T rigged plastics are what I fish most in these types of ponds. They just work time and time again. 10" Culprit worms are a mainstay along with the various other creature baits like a Havoc Pit Boss, Netbait Paca Craws, and Baby Paca craws. Most can be fished with no weight or as much weight as you need to achieve your desired action.   

MattC94

little update, was able to get out this evening for a little while at the local pond and was pretty shocked when I seem that they drained the water down probably a good 1 1/2 feet, but I started throwing the swim jig with a 4.8 impact fat with no takers running it between the grass patches and on weed edges and also through some of the thinner more sparse patches of grass with no takers. I down sized to a 3.8 impact fat and continued the streak of no takers fishing it the same way. I went ahead and just started tossing a regular 4.8" on a 1/4oz swimbait hook since that's produced for me there in the past and to my surprise still had no takers not even swipe. Once the sun was down and got dark I figured they would be out roaming the waters and away or out of the grass but wasn't able to find out since I was skunked. Will be goin back again for another try hopefully this weekend and plan on grabbing some heavier flipping weights to maybe try punching through the thick grass and seeing if a punching bite will work there but I did notice that some of the grass is starting to die off so I'm assuming there heading towards whatever or wherever the grass is green and healthy still so that'll be my target for punching hopefully this weekend and the swim jig, we sha'll see what happens I guess. with the water dropped like it was today would that make the fish go to deeper water? say they were in 3-4ft before the water dropped and now that it's dropped they would have moved out further to where the water is now currently 3-4?
Thanks, Matt

Stren_g

drag a toad or hollow body frog across/through/beside the grass and weeds. Try to get there early before it gets hot, id save the punching rigs for later in the day when they're huddled up in the mats.