KVD line n lure causing issue with braid?

Started by DinksAllDay, August 12, 2017, 01:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinksAllDay

My cousin recently had an issue with his braid on a recent trip. He was using sufix832 and the stuff was seizing on him during casts and digging into itself he says.

He attributes it to spraying KVD on it..saying it made it oily? Or slippery so it caused more birdnests..and therefore breakoffs during casts.

I thought kVD's stuff was water based polymers and I personally have never had any issue with it and braid.

I asked if he used any other line conditioner as mixing can cause issues..he said no.

I didn't fish with his gear so I had no idea..my guess was his spool was slipping or he was reeling in line loose, allowing space for the braid to slip underneath..but that's just my amateur guess.

Any educated guesses as to what caused the breakouts during casts?

I use kvd on all my lines but mostly for copoly or fluoro with great results (disclaimer I am not affiliated with the company in any way lol)

Princeton_Man

I use the KVD line conditioner and have never had any bad experiences I could attribute to it. Nothing like that in particular. If his line is oily or tacky, I'd guess he most likely picked up something on the water.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

I really dont understand the need to use the stuff on braid, it really does nothing for it. The only line I notice a difference on is fluoro or stiff mono. I dont even use it anymore, as after a cast or 2 the line tends to work itself out. I like it to spray a light mist on my reels to wife them off when Im done with them for the day though.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

KVD has certainly never made any of my lines oily.

Was he getting hung up then having the issue with line digging? Or catching good size fish with his drag tightened down?

Braid will dig into itself when the spool doesn't turn. If you get hung up and pull back with a tightened drag the pressure will cause the line to dig in. (the most likely scenario)
If you "fight" a big enough fish where it applies pressure one way and you apply pressure the other by reeling in, it could dig into itself if like you said he had loose line.
I can't think of any other reason he would be having a problem like this.

The oily comment makes me think he used a different product, and not KVD.

Like LMG I have never understood why anyone uses it on braid. I use them on mono, copoly and fluoro.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

loomisguy

I never used any kind of spray or conditioner on anything. Braid is so limp, I cant imagine what good It could possibly do.

Capt. BassinLou

This issue was not caused, by the KVD line conditioner, and couple of people have mentioned so far, why use the conditioner on braid?

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 12, 2017, 06:19:41 AM
This issue was not caused, by the KVD line conditioner, and couple of people have mentioned so far, why use the conditioner on braid?

I use it to help retain the color of the braid. Not as necessary on the Power Pro SuperSlick as it is on Spiderwire or the regular PowerPro.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

j102

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 12, 2017, 07:30:30 AM
I use it to help retain the color of the braid. Not as necessary on the Power Pro SuperSlick as it is on Spiderwire or the regular PowerPro.

It's also good so the line doesn't "bring" water back on it, not as much as without it anyway.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 12, 2017, 07:30:30 AM
I've heard this Jim. For me personally color retention isn't important. A little fading for me means the line is breaking in well... ;)

rockchalk06

Quote from: Bassinlou on August 12, 2017, 11:59:05 AM
I've heard this Jim. For me personally color retention isn't important. A little fading for me means the line is breaking in well... ;)

I really like it on the Maxcuatro. Makes it look black. On a blacked out Core, it really makes it look good.

To the OP, unless he had mixed KVD with some other product, there is really no way it caused it. I just soaked a spool of Maxcuratro braid with it about 20 minutes ago. Line is damp, but the cast off is not oily at all.

DinksAllDay

Thanks gents. That was my thinking as well

My limited use of kvd on braid is to relax stiffer lines which in my mind would make casting better. But I agree, after a couple of usds, braid settles in nicely.

We were fishing in a reservoir that holds many species, stripers, largem, smallm, etc.

He believes it was a striper that he hooked into then broke off on. (He had caught a 2lb large and about a pound smallie earlier)

I think his drag might be blown out..at some points he would tighten down and it would still slip. But again I wasn't fishing his gear so I don't really know.

He still swears kvd did it to his braid. By all accounts 832 and kvd are good stuff and wouldn't cause it but to each his own.

Anyways thanks again for everyone's input!

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: rockchalk06 on August 12, 2017, 12:18:47 PM
I really like it on the Maxcuatro. Makes it look black. On a blacked out Core, it really makes it look good.

To the OP, unless he had mixed KVD with some other product, there is really no way it caused it. I just soaked a spool of Maxcuratro braid with it about 20 minutes ago. Line is damp, but the cast off is not oily at all.
Everyone else is worried about keeping color. This guy is worried about the color matching his reel. Lol. Got to love him. Haha

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

cbburke

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 12, 2017, 05:47:35 AM
I like it to spray a light mist on my reels to wife them off when Im done with them for the day though.

You must be working your way out of the dog house since you said "Wife" instead of "wipe" :)

Keep going, its making good impression :)  ~c~ ~c~
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies..."

rockchalk06

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 12, 2017, 03:48:32 PM
Everyone else is worried about keeping color. This guy is worried about the color matching his reel. Lol. Got to love him. Haha

<")))>{

It's the little things in life......

Jesse McNutt

Only been using KVD this summer but since using it, I have eliminated any line problems I use to deal with. To the guys that are asking why use it on braid, it helps break the braid in faster if it has the stiff Power Pro feel to it. It really shines on a spinning reel.
Lew's ~ Stren ~ Arkie ~ Strike King ~ Jackall ~ Big Bite Baits ~ Stanley Jigs ~ Luck E Strike ~ Skeeter-Yamaha

SteveTX

X2 same as below with probably a few typos included.  lo
Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 12, 2017, 05:47:35 AM
I really dont understand the need to use the stuff on braid, it really does nothing for it. The only line I notice a difference on is fluoro or stiff mono. I dont even use it anymore, as after a cast or 2 the line tends to work itself out. I like it to spray a light mist on my reels to wife them off when Im done with them for the day though.
Personally I don't use it on any braid. After a few minutes on the water my Power Pro is just fine.

As for the color I haven't found any of the fish in my parts to be able to reason the difference in numerous treble hooks hanging off any of my baits. Nor have they determined that is a chunk of wire, lead, and plastic/rubber on spinner baits. Ill bet money the fish haven't reasoned that that one thin line in the water isn't a piece of grass. ::)

As far as the color of my line matching as if I was dressing it for church I would want the Sufix 832 Braid in Camo color.  ~roflmao

Oldfart9999

KVD Line & Lure works ! One of the few products that does what it says it'll do. I use it on braid when I spool it on to clean the line, it's amazing the amount of dust that comes off a new spool of line. I do use it with mono and flouro when I remember to. lo
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.